Quantcast
Juan De Fuca & West Coast Trail - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Juan De Fuca & West Coast Trail

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default Juan De Fuca & West Coast Trail

I'm hiking both trails this August. Juan De Fuca in 4 days, then back to Vic for a day, and West Coast Trail for 7 days.

I know there is an orientation for the WCT where they provide a map and stuff, but does anyone know where I can get info on the JDF? I've searched online and haven't come across any good maps. Perhaps the trail is so obvious that one is not necessary?

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

I've done WCT....absolutely epic. You're going to love it. We did it in 6 days, you'll have lots of time and won't have to rush. I wish I had the time to do it again.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Yea you certainly dont need a map for JDF. The trail is well marked and there are plenty of people around to ask for directions in case you head to the bush for a #2 and cant remember your way back!

I've only hiked a small section of JDF but crossed paths with a bear on the beach and found plenty of bear scat, seemingly fresh, on the trail. This compared with WCT where no bears in site, i'd take food control to the next level here. In some sites on the JDF there are food lockers away from the camp sites. Just gotta be early and not sure which sites have them.

Enjoy!

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Any sleeping bag recommendations?

I've got the following:

MEC Equatorial, +15C, 700g, 3.3L, Hyperloft
    MEC Gosling, +5C, 900g, 5.9L, Down
    MEC Raven, -7C, 1.5kg, 92.L, Hyperloft

I don't think it gets that cold, and thought the Gosling may be best, though it's down so if it's rainy it may not do so well. I'm also thinking about picking up the MEC Oasis 0/10C 1.4kg, 9.2L Hyperloft bag as it would be good for travel due to the 2 different warmth ratings. I will need a bag in New Zealand in October and South Africa in November so it may be the way to go, but it's a bit heavier / bigger than the Gosling?

Thoughts...?

Im sure you know this but ill say it anyways, youll get wet. And itll be foggy. I did the WCT in aug last year and it was foggy for the better part of 4/6 days and raining solid for 2 as well, so if youre planning on doing much more backpacking in that type of climate id recommend against any down bags, especially with how good synthetics are getting.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...ca/jdf_map.pdf
    I think thats pretty much the same as whats on the trail, and as much info as youd need.

Also, if youre not too set on august consider doing it in the winter. I did JDF last february and saw 1 person the whole hike, plus it was sunny and you could see miles and miles more ocean than in the summer. Its a little chillier, but usually doesnt go below 0 at night and stays aroudn 10ish in the day. About the bears, there does seem to be more evidence on the JDF than the WCT, but its still nothing to worry about if youre reasonably careful with your food.

The trailheads are pretty easy to find, china beach and botanical beach/botany bay are marked on the highway.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

^ Thanks!

I found a few posts on a backpacking forum of people who suggested down bags are fine on the trail assuming that you put the bag in a dry bag, line your pack and wear a pack cover.

I am set on doing it in August as I have WCT permits for Aug. 5th. I figure I may as well do both trails while I'm out there and have the time off work. The forecast for that coast right now is sunny for the next 10 days. Shame I'm not going now as with my luck, it will be a week of storms and showers!

Anything more than a -7bag is overkill! You run the risk of rain in August then again, you can actually get some real nice weather.

It certainly is gorgeous out here right now but you'll be much happier to hike in muck and a bit of rain than +28-30degrees. Trust me, that kind of weather will put a damper on hiking.

I'd recommend bringing/buying a small bottle of sunblock when you're here because if it IS nice out then you'll be a sore hiker when you get a burn and throw a bag on!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've done the JDF trail, had a great time.
    Don't bring the down bag. It WILL get wet, and then you are fucked. A light bag will be fine for that trip. Won't get below zero at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The constant moisture is your enemy.

Even if its not raining - but its foggy - NOTHING will stay dry.

Synthetic everything my man.

Hiking poles FTW
    Start from the north FTW

Originally posted by revelations

Synthetic everything my man.

Hiking poles FTW
    Start from the north FTW
    This^

Gaiters too, unless you like dumping sand and mud out of your boots. If you dont already have some the MEC ones are good, waterproof and pretty cheap.

Just reread about the sleeping bags, if you need one for NZ in oct itll be springtime and chilly (especially if youre on the south island, which is the place to be). But itll be wet too. probably really wet and windy. Dont get the down. There are very few thigns shittier than having to climb into a cold wet sleeping bag after a long day of hiking in the rain.

That said, if youre not gonna be doing a LOT of trekking and bringing all your camping gear with you there isnt any point in bringing a bag to NZ either as its pretty easy to rent stuff if you just need it periodically and you wont need it if youre staying in hostels.

PM me if youve got any Qs about the hikes or NZ. Cheers

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Yep, got gaiters and all that. Haven't ever hiked with poles before but I guess it's time to give it a whirl. I can see hating them and them being a hassle on the ladder sections, but if I don't try them for at least a few days I'll probably never see if there really are benefits.

Now my problem is getting to Bamfield. It looks like the trail bus is booked up. May have to look at getting a float plane in or something - not sure if there are any other cheap options!?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Good info, I really wanted to do both of these this year but couldn't get time off work. Looking forward to your thoughts post-hikes!
    Ultracrepidarian

Poles are for the tech gadgety hikers IMO...pick up a good sturdy stick and when you get to base camp for the night carve a handle and duct tape a grip and you're golden!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

bumping this thread as I'm looking to do the Juan De Fuca this year, probably around May or so.

The only thing that concerns me is the bear population as I might be hiking alone, albeit quite unlikely, I'd take any tips regarding the matter.
    Ultracrepidarian

I hiked a short leg of the JDF and I couldnt believe how much bear scat (seemed fresh, though the moist environment could have just made it wet) we encountered on the trail. We ran into a bear that was feeding on the beach in the weeds.

Im not sure what to tell you, I mean the key to not surprising a bear is making a lot of noise when you hike. Securing food aside from your tent is imperative and other than that hope luck is on your side!