Quantcast
***Breaking: 8.8 quake hits Japan, tsunami warnings issued - Page 28 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28

Thread: ***Breaking: 8.8 quake hits Japan, tsunami warnings issued

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Was there any news over there about the workers who worked vigilantly to contain the nuclear disaster? Were many of them exposed to lethal doses? I can't find any current info on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Was there any news over there about the workers who worked vigilantly to contain the nuclear disaster? Were many of them exposed to lethal doses? I can't find any current info on this.
    Probably this is why:
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_745271.html

TEPCO has a heavy Yakuza connection:
    http://www.japansubculture.com/2012/...-us-know-okay/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...t-nuclear.html

That may be why you never hear their fate. They were supposed to be sleeping with the fishes anyway.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-12-2012 at 11:30 AM.

My Ride
    W204

Nice.. In Mexico, you shoot them and/or chop off their heads. In Japan, you let them die a slow death and/or grow a third eye from radiation poisoning.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    CBR 929

Apparently there was a 6.1 and 6.9 quake there this morning...

[url]

My Ride
    DA6, R59

http://www.naturalnews.com/035731_Fu...n_America.html

I wonder how much weight this holds...?

(NaturalNews) During a recent Congressional delegation trip to Japan, Oregon Senator Ron Wyden witnessed with his own eyes the horrific aftermath of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, which we have heard very little about from the media in recent months. The damage situation was apparently so severe, according to his account, that he has now written a letter to Ichiro Fujisaki, Ambassador of Japan, petitioning for more to be done, and offering any additional support and assistance that might help contain and resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

The letter, which many experts see as the ominous writing on the wall for the grave severity of the circumstances, offers a disturbing glimpse into what is really going on across the Pacific Ocean that the mainstream media is apparently ignoring. While referencing the fact that all four of the affected reactors are still "badly damaged," Sen. Wyden seems to hint in his letter that Reactor 4, which has reportedly been on the verge of collapse for many months now, could be nearing catastrophic implosion.

Imminent collapse of Reactor 4 could create a mass extinction event of both humans and animals

According to Christina Consolo, an award-winning biomedical photographer and host of Nuked Radio, Reactor 4 has remained in such bad shape that even a very small earthquake could quickly level the building, sending the fuel from more than 1,500 unused fuel rods into the environment. And with Reactor 4 still filled with the highest levels of radioactive MOX and other fuels, the consequences of this potential collapse could be far worse than anything that has happened thus far as a result of the earthquake and tsunami.

"[S]itting at the top of [Reactor 4], in a pool that is cracked, leaking, and precarious even without an earthquake, are 1,565 fuel rods (give or take a few), some of them 'fresh fuel' that was ready to go into the reactor on the morning of March 11 when the earthquake and tsunami hit," writes Consolo. "If they are MOX fuel, containing six percent plutonium, one fuel rod has the potential to kill 2.89 billion people."

Sen. Wyden is also asking U.S. Secretary of Energy Steven Chu, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and Chairman of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Gregory Jaczko to assess how much additional assistance their agencies might be willing to provide to help Japan, and the entire world, avoid a nuclear catastrophe of Biblical proportions.

"The scope of damage to the plants and to the surrounding area was far beyond what I expected and the scope of the challenges to the utility owner, the government of Japan, and to the people of the region are daunting," wrote Sen. Wyden in his letter, dated April 16, 2012. "The precarious status of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear units and the risk presented by the enormous inventory of radioactive materials and spent fuel in the event of further earthquake threats should be of concern to all and a focus of greater international support and assistance."

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Originally posted by jdmXSI

Great, those Mayan bastards were right...

My Ride
    EF8

That does not sound good. Hope it all ends up getting better.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Just the writing style alone screams attention whore.

2.89 billion people? Ya, if the rods were crushed up and individually fed to each person.

I don't think you can get much worse than say, Chernobyl, which was bad enough, but it is interesting that we haven't heard much on the Japan situation.

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

Let's take a look at a different source, for instance local news.

Wyden said a quicker pace on clean up is in the United State's interest because a release of the radioactivity from the nuclear cores could contaminate water and sea life and could be carried eastward toward Oregon by prevailing winds. A prompt and efficient response to the wreckage could also calm nerves about the future and safety of nuclear power, he said.

[...]

How Japan responds, he said, “is going to a great extent define the future of nuclear power both in the United States and around the world. This is going to trigger a very significant debate about the design of nuclear power facilities and the location of nuclear facilities.”

[...]

"The scope of the damage to the plants and to the surrounding area was far beyond what I expected and the scope of the challenges to the utility owner, the government of Japan, and to the people of the region are daunting," Wyden wrote Fujisaki.

The letter outlines Wyden's concerns about Unit 4, which was off-line when the earthquake and tsunami struck but was severely damaged. That fact, coupled with the continuing risk of earthquakes and tsunamis makes it "paramount" that the radioactive fuel and debris be moved to dry storage to lessen chances that it will be released, he said.
    Sounds more like he's concerned about how this will impact the future of nuclear energy than about a "mass extinction event."

Wyden has a pretty decent voting record and it seems like his letter is a lot more even handed than this article lets on.

It shouldn't surprise you though as they only seem to use him as a jumping-off point to go check out the Internet echo chamber and get a scare quote from Christina Consolo (of "RadChick Radiation Research and Mitigation," not mentioned in the article, but who seems to be concerned with documenting plant mutations in Michigan that she claims are related to the Fukishima disaster).
    Last edited by toastgremlin; 05-02-2012 at 08:29 AM.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    I don't think you can get much worse than say, Chernobyl, which was bad enough...
    It's not over.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Lulz. That looks like it belongs straight to video.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28