Quantcast
Mobilicity - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobilicity

try going to another dealer and see if they can help

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    From what I've heard, Mobilicity has had some fairly bad reviews in other cities. Calgary is still relatively new, and Wind is always increasing coverage. The only place I ever really have lost coverage was deep in the basement of the D wing at SAIT and in my basement at times. Everywhere else it's been strong. Then again, I live in the shallow NW, and most of my travel is to the shallow South, so I'm in the areas of highest tower density.
    Wind is made for people like you. I am less lucky. Wind was terrible everywhere I work/live/travel. Brutally bad too - completely unusable.

Hopefully Mobilicity is better. I'll give their 7 day trial a go.

LOL I literally have pockets full of phones right now!

Originally posted by flamboyant
    Bought a Nexus S from the Sunridge location yesterday with the $45 plan. I only had coverage in the mall and when I drove 2km away I was at 1 bar to "emergency calls only". Drove to my cousin house on 34 St SE, and I only got "emergency calls only". I was like wtf? Whatever, the dealer guaranteed that I would have coverage at home (monterey park) and my work on 130 Ave SE. When I got home I was put on "CDN Roaming" that would mean all my calls would cost me 20 cents per minute..? I thought it was a glitch so I restarted the phone. I had "no signal" for an hour or so, then I was put back on "CDN Roaming". The dealer and tech support couldn't help me out, and at this point I'm pretty much fed up with them now, and going to cancel soon. Maybe they would get better in the near future, but right now, their coverage sucks
    LOL - I learned some tricks when I was on Wind that may help you.

1. In the wireless preferences set the radio to WCDMA only.
    2. Set carrier to manual and pick Mobilicity

This might help too as the Nexus S is the same hardware more or less as the the reg Galaxy:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...7#post14307547

"Dial: *#*#197328640#*#*
    Click [1] debug screen
    Click [8] phone control
    Click [7] network control
    Click [2] band selection
    I locked it to 1700 only"

My Ride
    08 K24Z3, 07 YZF-R6

For those who think Mobilicity has better network coverage than Wind, remember how bad Wind was when they first started. I expect just as bad reception with Mobilicity for at least a year.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

I'll pick one up today and do some tests vs Wind and report back.

Originally posted by scary_perry
    I'll pick one up today and do some tests vs Wind and report back.
    well from my own exp they are similar but mobi has a much more stable and consistent signal, ive called into care a few times and they tell me that towers are being tweaked

haha and just like you man, my pockets are literally filled with phones too haha=p

In terms of a 5GB data cap... I challenge anyone to hit 5GB of data usage in a month without using your phone as a modem. I have 500MB of data with rogers and I use data all the time and still can not hit that...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Both are on AWS band which means their network will have more trouble penetrating walls and concrete.

WIND has been stable in open air within North side of the city except at the edges. But as soon as you go indoor, signal drops big time if you are not close to a tower.

Been to various part of town this weekend and various big stores. The general experience is that if you are more than 20ft away from a exterior wall or window, WIND will roam or go into the state that it will try to switch between network and you get no calls coming in.

I'm not sure why these AWS operators don't pool their resources to make it good for everyone. I have not tried Mobilicity yet but I'm almost 100% sure experience would be similar since that's a technical limit of AWS.

I don't live and die on my phone so I can deal with it. And if Mobilicity trail doesn't pan out, I'm sure this will help at least @ home:

http://cel-fi.com/

My Ride
    07 Yaris RS

Just stopped by one of the Mobilicity store today at 6219 Centre St. NW by the IDA Drug Mart and they are taking pre-orders for the HTC Panache. Staff were very helpful and paid my deposit when I left.

Guess I will hold out till Sunday to try my new HTC phone on Mobilicity on Sunday.

any store in the south - I'd like one that can take a return if the coverage is as bad as I expect it will be

LOL - I learned some tricks when I was on Wind that may help you.

1. In the wireless preferences set the radio to WCDMA only.
    2. Set carrier to manual and pick Mobilicity

This might help too as the Nexus S is the same hardware more or less as the the reg Galaxy:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...7#post14307547

"Dial: *#*#197328640#*#*
    Click [1] debug screen
    Click [8] phone control
    Click [7] network control
    Click [2] band selection
    I locked it to 1700 only"
    I tested this, helped me reconnect to the network faster. Coverage still sucks, still a lot of places with 1 bar to no signal. Anyways I got a refund. Dealing with this shit is too stressful. Don't port over your number till you are sure that Mobilicity is right for you.

Also be careful when testing the coverage of Mobilicity. If you use over 1mb you will not be able to return your device at all. I saw a angry customer storm out of Mobilicity not being able to get his refund lol! So just check back and front to see if you have service or not. Make some test calls and do not touch the android market / internet browser.

Anyways, I got a full refund for the device up front, and the first monthly service fee will also be refunded by mail within a few business days.

I have an unlimited chatr zone plan with everything except data for $35/month. The first six months are $25/month.

Rumor is data in June. But no contract so I can always switch to Solo or Koodo. If Chatr would do a $10 for 500 MB plan I would be pretty happy.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I tested this, helped me reconnect to the network faster. Coverage still sucks, still a lot of places with 1 bar to no signal. Anyways I got a refund. Dealing with this shit is too stressful. Don't port over your number till you are sure that Mobilicity is right for you.

Also be careful when testing the coverage of Mobilicity. If you use over 1mb you will not be able to return your device at all. I saw a angry customer storm out of Mobilicity not being able to get his refund lol! So just check back and front to see if you have service or not. Make some test calls and do not touch the android market / internet browser.

Anyways, I got a full refund for the device up front, and the first monthly service fee will also be refunded by mail within a few business days.
    So thumb down on Moblicity?

I have an unlimited chatr zone plan with everything except data for $35/month. The first six months are $25/month.

Rumor is data in June. But no contract so I can always switch to Solo or Koodo. If Chatr would do a $10 for 500 MB plan I would be pretty happy.
    I thought they removed the 6 months thing. The plan is still $25 a month even after 6 months now

Originally posted by Xtrema

So thumb down on Moblicity?
    Pretty much

My Ride
    transit

My experience so far with Mobilicity.

Got the Curve 3G and trying to stream video from youtube results in an error at some point during playback. At what point varies on what video I'm playing.

So far in my limited testing only chinook center has managed to get into the emergency call only territory. Downtown where I work, I've got good reception. Was at Eau Clair food court and managed to stay above 3 bars.

They have repeaters in the mall. Its a scam, as soon as you get to 5 km from the edge of a zone the signal is crap.

I thought they removed the 6 months thing. The plan is still $25 a month even after 6 months now

Pretty much
    Kind of. They reduced their plans by ten bucks and then offer a sixty dollar bonus if you set up pre auth a credit card. They credit ten bucks per month for six months.

So they have 25 and 35 plans (were 35 and 45). I have the 'bigger' plan.

My Ride
    07 Yaris RS

For those interested, its available here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0f-R4dlpv8

sounds like reception is just as bad in Calgary

Originally posted by dragonone
    sounds like reception is just as bad in Calgary
    Moblicity is terribad. What is worse is that coverage in Calgary is supposed to be the best of all of their zones.

I had WIND for a while too, and it looks like they have improved enough for a personal line. They actually give me better coverage at the Airport than Telus! Sadly the big three still have a clear advantage for reception. If WIND fixed their poor university coverage I would likely get another line with them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast