Quantcast
Incorporating? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Incorporating?

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
    The corporation needs to complete and file a T5. This reports to the CRA and to the shareholder the amount of dividends they received, the dividend tax credits available and whether or not they are eligible or non-eligible funds.

The shareholder then reports this income on line 120 and 121 of their T1, and the tax credit on line 41 of schedule 1.
    Better be making a mil+ yearly to involve such complicated bullshit

This is probably a good place to ask this.

I'm looking at potentially incorporating, and wanted to get a referral or two for an accountant.

PM if you have a good one!

thanks

My Ride
    IS300, 335, highlander, rentals?!

I can likely set myself up to not be PSB, but I would like to talk someone experienced as to what steps need to be taken. Compare it to what I want to accomplish and see if it is worth it. Any recommendations would be appreciated as well.
    IS300 - 2JZ-GTE, DIY custom sequential 31psi at 2800rpms, yeehaw.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-03-2019 at 10:47 AM.

sounds like someone trying to take advantage
    in my first year, i claimed something like $13K in tools, equipment and supplies/consumables for work only use
    but then it was getting started, so after everything, i ended up owing only $700...but i never got an audit (flagged), then my next 2 years were much lower, so i guess they expected that to be at my start

i could be wrong, but i thought i read somewhere that only in the first 3 years/periods, that a business could claim a loss consecutively, then only every so often afterwards
    it makes sense to not be allowed to claim a loss every year, or frequently for your small business

i remember being afraid of being audited should i claim a loss (on paper) in my first year, so i actually left some expenses unclaimed, just so i would owe a little bit LOL
    "Drive your business, let not your business drive you" ~ Benjamin Franklin

My Ride
    Busa

Originally posted by garnet
    sounds like someone trying to take advantage
    in my first year, i claimed something like $13K in tools, equipment and supplies/consumables for work only use
    but then it was getting started, so after everything, i ended up owing only $700...but i never got an audit (flagged), then my next 2 years were much lower, so i guess they expected that to be at my start

i could be wrong, but i thought i read somewhere that only in the first 3 years/periods, that a business could claim a loss consecutively, then only every so often afterwards
    it makes sense to not be allowed to claim a loss every year, or frequently for your small business

i remember being afraid of being audited should i claim a loss (on paper) in my first year, so i actually left some expenses unclaimed, just so i would owe a little bit LOL
    The CRA has certain criteria that flags individuals/businesses for audits. I assume this is probably a scoring system based on a weighting of multiple factors. You don't have to worry about this if you have a solid paper trail and everything is above board. A professional accountant can help you with this.

Anyone have any recommendations for insurance providers? I'm looking for $2mill in liability. I would like to get a quote first.

Originally posted by l/l/rX
    Anyone have any recommendations for insurance providers? I'm looking for $2mill in liability. I would like to get a quote first.
    Encon is small-business friendly:
    http://www.encon.ca/Pages/EnconWelcome.aspx

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

for what its worth, I just switched to being a contractor and my nominal tax rate ended up being slightly higher than it was when I was an employee. unless I am really diligent with my expenses, I will end up paying more taxes - and in the end I will have to pay most of the difference to my accountant anyway, and considering the whole thing is a ten thousand times bigger pain in the ass than just getting paid, I wish I had not gone this route.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by b_t
    for what its worth, I just switched to being a contractor and my nominal tax rate ended up being slightly higher than it was when I was an employee. unless I am really diligent with my expenses, I will end up paying more taxes - and in the end I will have to pay most of the difference to my accountant anyway, and considering the whole thing is a ten thousand times bigger pain in the ass than just getting paid, I wish I had not gone this route.
    You're doing it wrong, or making several hundred thousand a year.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-03-2019 at 11:02 AM.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by bspot

You're doing it wrong, or making several hundred thousand a year.
    I'm doing it in a way that gives me absolutely nothing to worry about in case I was ever audited.

If I played fast and loose with the rules and claimed things I am not really entitled to (ie. small business credit, writing off housing expenses even though I have no use for a home office, vehicle expenses) I could easily save a ton on my taxes, but then if I got audited I would be boned.

FWIW the stuff posted about salary vs. dividends was pretty valuable, so that at least will save me a lot on CPP contributions. So that's not bad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3