Quantcast
Germany to close all nuclear power plants by 2022 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Germany to close all nuclear power plants by 2022

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

It looks like Germany has decided to take the path of Spain. They won't get back on the nuclear wagon when black-outs and brown-outs start (because they won't) they'll get back on when their economy is crippled from all their power coming from non-economically sustainable energy which eventually ruins their economy.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

as someone who makes money off the petroleum industry, I'm to this.

Natural Gas power generation is getting a huge boost in many jurisdictions. LNG imports will become a political necessity for these governments, and in turn, they will pressure Canada to increase LNG exports.

I like where this is heading.

As for the problem of what Calgary will look like if "renewables" suddenly displace petroleum by 2050, I'm not worried.
    The only way they'll replace is if they are cheaper. Cheap energy makes life cheaper, hence while local economy may see a downswing, the cost of living will go down too. Then we'll all live for (nearly) free and sit around making art all day. Probably in a pineapple under the sea . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Natural gas is the *one* commodity that has not had a ballistic rise in the last couple years.

Personally I think its being artificially kept low so that it looks like an attractive energy alternative, and then once the infrastructure is built *bam* raise prices like a sob.

Sort of like gasoline and cars, get everyone standardized and addicted to gasoline and then you got 'em.

Which in the long run, is very beneficial to Alberta.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by ZenOps

Germans saw how advanced and technically capable the Japanese are - and if they can have a meltdown in three reactors, it can definitely happen in Germany.
    They get many 9.0 earthquakes in Germany these days?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Natural gas is the *one* commodity that has not had a ballistic rise in the last couple years.

Personally I think its being artificially kept low so that it looks like an attractive energy alternative, and then once the infrastructure is built *bam* raise prices like a sob.

Sort of like gasoline and cars, get everyone standardized and addicted to gasoline and then you got 'em.

Which in the long run, is very beneficial to Alberta.
    Well, I agree with you, sort of. Without the consipracy part of it.
    Natural gas is cheap, so people will move demand to it for things like baseload power generation and vehicle fuels. Once demand rises,prices will go up, but by then natural gas will be entrenched, and it's not going to be easy to go back to coal, nukes or diesel.

Natural Gas is going up, it's just a question of how fast and how far.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

It need not be an earthquake.

You could always get 10,000 civilian protestors storming the gates. Many fortified banks have been burned to the ground before (and I would not be surprised to see one or two in Greece burned to the ground and flattened before the year is out) Human Tsunami!

There is always an outside chance of real war. In which case, any nuclear installation would be a prime target (as power generation is one of the things that is knocked out first) If Iraq ever had a functioning nuclear installation, it would be a prime target for sabotage - just like YongByon is a prime target for destruction or sabotage by the US.

Without doubt, even conventional bombs will put any nuclear reactor into meltdown. The US doesn't need 2,200 or so F-35s to invade an African country afterall...
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

are you saying that 10,000 civilians protesting that nuclear power is bad/dangerous are going to rush the nuclear power plant and burn it to ground, killing themselves and killing or poisoning hundreds of thousands? or is this some pro-life rally that got out of hand and decided nuclear power was the cause of abortion?

I don't think nuclear power plants would become huge military targets, especially with neighboring countries. Too much collateral damage.

too many what if scenarios, you could condemn any power source when you look at it from that perspective...

Hey, if you want conspiracy the fourth plane on 9/11 that was "unsucessful" (the other ones, the world trade center and pentagon) was suspiciously heading to "nowhere" until you bring up a map of nuclear facilities.

A fully fueled boeing smashing into a nuclear facility at mach 1 would more than likely have a high chance of causing complete meltdown as well..

In theory. In which case the US is lucky that they got away with *only* losing the world trade tower and part of the pentagon. A full meltdown would be an ongoing tragedy of several millenia.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 06-05-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Quote Originally Posted by Pahnda View Post
    Environmentalists love burning fossil fuels I guess.

Watch this get overturned when they realize renewable energy isn't going to be ready by that time.
    Ha ha yes.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Holy shit.

12 years later and Zenny hasn’t changed

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Nuclear facilities walls aren’t the same as wtc or pentagon walls.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

Need moar jets.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Maybelater View Post
    It looks like Germany has decided to take the path of Spain. They won't get back on the nuclear wagon when black-outs and brown-outs start (because they won't) they'll get back on when their economy is crippled from all their power coming from non-economically sustainable energy which eventually ruins their economy.
    Spain's investment in renewables is actually paying off - some of the lowest electricity prices in Europe these days, though they always seem to be fighting with Morocco and Algeria so that may not last. They still overpaid for their renewables though and would have been much better off had they invested when the economics were better, though there's an argument that Spanish companies have gained international business for renewable installation through their government funded experience.

Here's a cool website to see Spain's electrical generation in real-time - usually around 50%+ renewable generation when I check: https://demanda.ree.es/visiona/peninsula/nacional/total
    Last edited by davidI; 10-20-2022 at 01:23 AM.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

Brave pilot. Was he okay?
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Fighter jet is not an airliner. It would be like trying to take down the wall of a bank with a pinto vs a semi.

Also: If you could load up an airliner with sacks of nitrogen fertilizer before hand - not many structures would survive it. 5,000 pounds of nitrogen fertilizer did it for Timothy Mcveigh, and he didnt even need to be moving or close to the wall.

I'd argue that a fighter jet has at least 10x less destructive potential, maybe less than 100x (to a stationary single ground target) even fully loaded with warheads, just because of its size.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 10-20-2022 at 08:29 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Spain's investment in renewables is actually paying off - some of the lowest electricity prices in Europe these days, though they always seem to be fighting with Morocco and Algeria so that may not last. They still overpaid for their renewables though and would have been much better off had they invested when the economics were better, though there's an argument that Spanish companies have gained international business for renewable installation through their government funded experience.

Here's a cool website to see Spain's electrical generation in real-time - usually around 50%+ renewable generation when I check: https://demanda.ree.es/visiona/peninsula/nacional/total
    Having a mild winter also helps.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Having a mild winter also helps.
    All of Western Europe had a mild Autumn so far.

The difference in costs is that Spain generates ~50% of its energy through renewables during the day and a lot of its gas supply comes from North Africa. Requiring less NG thanks to the renewables has made a huge difference in avoiding expensive LNG imports.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    Brave pilot. Was he okay?
    He died of CoVid.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    He died of CoVid.
    Should have had his bOoStEr shotz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2