Quantcast
Do you want a diesel Jeep? Goto http://JeepDieselPetition.com and sign the petition! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you want a diesel Jeep? Goto http://JeepDieselPetition.com and sign the petition!

My Ride
    2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Default Do you want a diesel Jeep? Goto http://JeepDieselPetition.com and sign the petition!

http://www.JeepDieselPetition.com

July 13, 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Jeep enthusiast takes matters into own hands - http://www.JeepDieselPetition.com
    =====================================================
    "We need to show the decision makers at Jeep how serious we are about diesel power plants in the North American lineup." said self-confessed Jeep enthusiast Dan Grec after driving 40,000 miles from Alaska to Argentina in a Jeep Wrangler. Completing the epic journey in a completely stock Wrangler without a single mechanical failure speaks to the reliability and longevity of the iconic Wrangler platform.

Diesel engines are the last piece of the puzzle that would catapult the Jeep brand to the forefront of expedition vehicles, says Dan. Better mileage, longer engine life and enormous low-end torque are just a few of the real-world benefits that combine for amazing rock-crawling and all-important highway drivability.

It's no secret that Jeep assembles diesel-powered Wranglers and Grand Cherokees at the Toledo, OH plant - but these vehicles are destined for sale on the foreign market only. Until now, the decision makers at Jeep have been uncertain of the demand for diesel in the domestic market.

With this petition, Jeepers across North America can clearly demonstrate their demand for diesel engines.

July 13, 2011
    http://www.JeepDieselPetition.com

###
    Last edited by Grecy; 07-14-2011 at 09:13 AM.
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
    --
    Follow: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / YouTube
    --
    WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Yes, because the diesel cherokee and liberty sold soooooo well.

Some places down in the US are HARD to find diesel pumps (even in places like Florida). It is hilarious

So many vehicles could be awesome if only they came with a diesel and was sold here. Jeep, Ranger, 4Runner/Hilux/Tacoma.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Hard to pass the strict north american Nox emissions then still sell them at a reasonable price.

The CDI jeeps are all burning crap loads of oil and blow blue smoke everytime I'm behind one.

If I recall they barely got a lot of the CDI's to pass as it was.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

No one buys diesel in NA, I haven't sold a diesel 335 in over a year and the x5 diesel is hit and miss
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    4x4

Lobby to get jeep to sell what they already sell????

Jeep J8 is available through multiple sources (there are 2 in calgary that I know of) - With the 2.8 CDI engine...

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by AndyL

Jeep J8 is available through multiple sources (there are 2 in calgary that I know of) - With the 2.8 CDI engine...
    But the best would be if we didn't have to go that route. I would kill for a dealership to offer the diesel in the standard line-up in NA. Although I keep hoping that when they do they'll put the 3L that is supposed to go into the GC in the next year or two...

These vehicles are sold as component chassis only, meaning that they are delivered completely assembled with everything but the engine and transmission installed. They must be completed by the end customer who must install or contract an independent shop to install the engine and transmission (bolt in, plug in, hook up hoses) and register the vehicle as a component vehicle with a state assigned VIN number. For more information contact AEV
    If this is what it takes to get one in I'll pass. Would rather have the chance to pick one up and enjoy a warranty for a while.
    Last edited by Unknown303; 07-14-2011 at 06:20 AM.
    -U

My Ride

Originally posted by AndyL

That's news to me. I had no idea there were J8's registered in North America. Can you provide any more info?

Thanks,
    -Dan
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
    --
    --
    WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by Grecy

That's news to me. I had no idea there were J8's registered in North America. Can you provide any more info?

Thanks,
    -Dan
    If you look at my post above yours they are from AEV and they really really aren't registered at J8's. And you probably have to jump through some serious hoops to get them registered. I'd much rather have a "Real" factory option for a diesel. Which is why I signed the petition. Although rumor has it that the Jeep guys are already starting to look at it.

Jeep may offer diesel wrangler
    Jeep CEO, Michael Manley stated this week that there is a possibility that diesel engines could be offered in the Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee in the US and Canada within in two or three years.

Diesel engines could help improve Jeep improve its overall fuel economy numbers.

Manley stated, "Diesel in some of our models makes absolute sense, but I still have to make sure there is a sufficient marketplace here to make it make sense from a business perspective."
    -U

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by nobb
    So many vehicles could be awesome if only they came with a diesel and was sold here. Jeep, Ranger, 4Runner/Hilux/Tacoma.
    i would drop buying cars in a second if there were new tacomas/FJs with diesels put in them, or even revive the SR5 pickup with a TD engine.

In Malaysia, there are toyota diesel/turbo diesel trucks and SUVs everywhere, pretty much as common as seeing an american pickup truck in AB - which is pretty much 1/3 vehicles on the road imo, the workhorse of the jungle... and rebel uprisings = the Toyota 4wd truck/suv.

if there was more dealer support for toyota diesel engines here, i wouldn't mind doing what they do in M'sia which is stuff a 1HD-FTs into a 40/60 series chassis, put even the V8 gas landrovers to shame on the up hill mountains with the modified ones. likewise i'd love to stuff 1KD-FTV into an newer tacoma or something, which i know you can do but for a hefty price, but cheaper than ICON stuff obviously:

http://www.dieseltoyz.com/toyota_conversions.html

just wish there was a factory TD engine. JDM is out of the question but maybe convert an Lexus LX 450 80 series to manual diesel would be a nice roadtrip SUV

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i want a 4 door rubi with factory 35s and a cummins that can tow as much as a ram 3500

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by ercchry
    i want a 4 door rubi with factory 35s and a cummins that can tow as much as a ram 3500
    Might have to add another axle out the ass end to get up to that towing capacity! Cummins powered 6x6 would be sweet.
    -U

My Ride

Originally posted by Unknown303

If you look at my post above yours they are from AEV and they really really aren't registered at J8's. And you probably have to jump through some serious hoops to get them registered.
    I'm a regular on the AEV discussion forums, and have been keeping up with their J8 developments.
    From the information we can gleam, negotiations with the component suppler have stalled, and AEV have not moved forward with the J8. As far as I'm aware, they have never sold one.
    (They do have a couple in North America for testing, auto shows etc.)

I'm very surprised to hear of an actual customer having one.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by Grecy

I'm a regular on the AEV discussion forums, and have been keeping up with their J8 developments.
    From the information we can gleam, negotiations with the component suppler have stalled, and AEV have not moved forward with the J8. As far as I'm aware, they have never sold one.
    (They do have a couple in North America for testing, auto shows etc.)

I'm very surprised to hear of an actual customer having one.

-Dan
    Yeah I've also never seen a diesel JK in person. On jeepforums I've seen one, maybe two build using older cummins 4bt's and the MBRP 12 valve Cummins build. But never have I seen a J8 diesel.
    -U

My Ride
    4x4

Not finding it; There was a company in ?montreal (quebec) selling assembled units - there are two in town, ones regularly down at big4. The other one could be a 4dr wrangler with a swap - but... it's OD green, diesel with full floating axles; see it semi regularly out by the big road construction projects.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-03-2019 at 11:11 AM.

My Ride
    M3

my mom has a jeep diesel.. what's wrong with the liberty? and she brought it up from the states, no less.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Tilly
    my mom has a jeep diesel.. what's wrong with the liberty? and she brought it up from the states, no less.
    Nothing, in fact, it is amazing. Still doesn't change the fact they sold about 10 of them

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

I miss the V12 Touareg TDI, haha.

I'd buy a diesel Tacoma in a heartbeat.

My Ride

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Nothing, in fact, it is amazing. Still doesn't change the fact they sold about 10 of them
    Actually, they sold out twice as fast as expected.

-Dan
    --
    --

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast