Quantcast
Fastest Driving Route from Calgary to Seattle? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Fastest Driving Route from Calgary to Seattle?

Default Fastest Driving Route from Calgary to Seattle?

Hey guys, my dad and I are having a bit of debate about this. If i'm not mistaken, is the I90 the quickest way there? Can anyone map out the route they take on google maps or something and provide a link, cause apparently the default route that google generates isn't very efficient? Time it took to drive there would be nice too.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Chojo; 07-23-2011 at 06:44 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/jjianc/

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

google it...

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Cal...mra=ls&t=h&z=7

But if you ask me, take the 1 to Banff then the 95 to the 385 to the 90. That is if you plan to speed a little. this road is the least populated.
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 07-23-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Google has it figured, this is the quickest, just under 13 hours but I would think with this being summer vacation time adding an hour is fairly logical. I would crash at a hotel on route as it is really too long of a one shot drive:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Cal...s&dirflg=t&z=7

Going through Banff adds time, another 40 minutes, heading all the way on the #1 to Abbotsford, again 13 and a half hours. The #1 will have delays for construction as well, this is not factored in.

Taking the route in the link allows you to go past Roslyn, WA, this is where the TV series Northern Exposure was shot. Still a cool little town, still looks just like in the TV show. There is a cafe and bar with decent food.
    Last edited by kamakurakid; 07-23-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

George Carlin

My Ride
    Silverado

You could drive out on the number 3 past fernie down into the states across Spokane that way. Would probably be longer than some routes though

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    google it...

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Cal...mp;t=h&z=7

But if you ask me, take the 1 to Banff then the 95 to the 385 to the 90. That is if you plan to speed a little. this road is the least populated.
    Taking 93 south from the TransCanada slows you down by at least 45 minutes because of the slow single lane traffic through the Windermere valley, as compared to taking 22.

#1 - #93 is only faster if you are heading as far south as Fairmont/Canal Flats.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    You could drive out on the number 3 past fernie down into the states across Spokane that way. Would probably be longer than some routes though
    Correct. Fastest way possible to the U.S border heading to the coast, is via: Calgary #2 to HighRiver/Aldercyde (Alberta 2/Alternative). (this skips, Okotoks, Black Diamond & High River) Then take HWY 543 to HWY 22 and on to HWY 3.

I haven't personally done a compare between US HWY 95 vs US HWY 93, but I can %100 vouch that leaving Calgary south on HWY 2, is much faster than heading out W on HWY 1. Driven both routes more times than I can count (50+).

In terms whether US HWY 93 vs US HWY 94, perhaps RickdaTuner can speak to that?

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

I really think that Google maps is conservative in many ways.

For instance, I have made it from Canmore to Hope, BC in 7 hours recently Google maps was quoting 10 hrs.

That's why I say take the least populated road, and expect to cruise anywhere from 10-20 km/h over the limit, its acceptable by police in Alberta and most of western BC to do this, as I have constantly passed laser, radar, and even on coming police at this speed, and have yet to be pulled over. Anything above that though and you will get dinged. So with that in play the literal shortest route become the most favorable.

1088 kms @ 110km/h 9.8 hrs,
    1088 kms @ 120km/h 9.0 hrs,
    1088 kms @ 130 (if you dare) 8.3 hrs

not taking into account stops for gas and food

Its been a while since I drove from Calgary to Seattle, so as much as I would like to point you in the right direction, I think previous peeps have done a better job.

For the Record I don't condone speeding...

RickDaTuner is spot on here, if you can speed it makes all the difference. I absolutely hate when my wife takes over driving, speed limit and that is it. I sit there waiting for a switch back so we can make up the time I see her as having lost us.

I have a cousin who is an RCMP officer, he says personally he is willing to pull you over if you are doing above 15km/hr over the speed limit. He told me it differs from cop to cop. I sit tight at 15km over and hope for the best.... fully tinted windows and a speeding ticket would hurt me greatly.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

George Carlin

Best route I take when we go to Seattle is south to Nanton. West to Cranbrook. South to Post Falls. Post Falls to Seattle.

Not sure if it is the fastest but I like it the best out of every route.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Originally posted by Cos
    Best route I take when we go to Seattle is south to Nanton. West to Cranbrook. South to Post Falls. Post Falls to Seattle.

Not sure if it is the fastest but I like it the best out of every route.
    Ya, this is definitely the fastest. I've done this road a few times. The faster you can get into the States and onto the freeway the better.

Originally posted by Tram Common

Ya, this is definitely the fastest. I've done this road a few times. The faster you can get into the States and onto the freeway the better.

are the freeway's alot better in the states?

Originally posted by Gorilla

are the freeway's alot better in the states?
    For the most part they are okay. Most of the major ones between Spokane and Seattle are like the concrete deerfoot pieces though. It is especially bad right before the mountains, they have cut in weird lines on the right hand lane. It is almost like vibration strips to keep the truckers awake.

It is a much better drive than single twisty roads in BC, unless you are in a fun car or a bike obviously.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I'm still debating which road is better to take. I will be going to Seattle first, but a lot of people told me that if they would do it again, they would go West first and the route is more scenic than going straight to the Border first.

But then with all the hubbub on speeding/towing in BC, now I'm thinking otherwise.

I've done the drive annually for the past 5 years, I also prefer going south and through the states. straighter, wider roads and the wife gets really car sick. another advantage, the Kingsgate border crossing isn't as busy. the one between van and seattle can easily be 2+ hr waits
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

I used to be a firm proponent of keeping a 125km/h average and doing short 'speed bursts'. Recently I've found myself more concerned about fuel economy which really improves @ 90km/h. In an R56 Cooper S I can squeeze an extra 250-350kms driving under the limit. Cd is a bitch!!
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving