Quantcast
Teaching a grown man how to cook - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Teaching a grown man how to cook

Default Teaching a grown man how to cook

What is the best way to learn how to cook? I don't really know where to start, I've picked some random recipes from food.com but find that my shitty (ie: zero) understanding of technique usually ends up ruining a bunch of otherwise edible food.

What do you guys suggest for a good starting point? I'm looking for anything from a book to a class. Looked up SAIT and they have cooking classes, but they're part of a 2 year diploma program and I don't think you can take them on the side (http://sait.ca/cometosait/academic/diplomas/acpk.shtml). Even a good series of Youtube videos would probably work, or a thorough cook book that doesn't just have recipes but explains the proper way to cook meats/vegetables/etc.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

What can you make? What do you like? I think the first step is to start with the basics and add to it gradually.

allrecipes.com is a great site for recipes.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    What can you make? What do you like? I think the first step is to start with the basics and add to it gradually.

I can make things on the BBQ... steaks, burgers, cedar planked salmon, etc... basically anything that you just flip and put sauce on.

I'm with you on learning the basics first, which is why I was thinking of taking classes. Even a good book (or preferably a series of videos) on cooking fundamentals would be pretty helpful.

I think I've hit the point where it's no longer acceptable to eat out for every meal just cause I haven't bothered learning how to cook... that being said, the things that I do know how to cook and enjoy eating are few and far between.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Just watch lots of FoodTV

I actually took that PCK course back in the day when I thought I wanted to be a chef. You did learn ALOT about culinary arts and techniques but I think this course is a lil too extensive and expensive for you if you just want to learn how to cook. Since I've taken this course, I speak from experience and in no way did I learn how to cook from taking that program. I already had the know-how to cook from taking Home Ec in junior high/high school and PCK just hones and develops your skills further.

So I would not recommend taking the PCK course just to learn how to cook.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 08-16-2011 at 10:23 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Giant Reign

I"ve signed up for the continuing education class 'fundamentals of cooking' at SAIT this fall. For $400 you get five classes, three hours per class. The classes cover knife handling and care, proteins, soups and stocks, vegetables and I can't remember what else.
    I figure it's a good way to learn how to cook properly. Might seem expensive but I'll hopefully learn something I'll use my whole life.
    Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

That is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks man, I'm going to sign up tomorrow. Looks like Sept13-Oct11 is full, is that the one you're in?

http://register.sait.ca/saitApp/cale...artTerm=000000

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

As someone said, watch TV/youtube. Find meals you like, that look appetizing, and cook! They won't turn out perfect the first (or second... or third... or you get the idea), but practice makes perfect.

One thing I have found to be CRITICAL! HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB! Unfortunately, this part is kind of pricey. For Christmas, since there are such good deals on, I usually ask for cooking utensils/pots and pans (it adds up, having a frying pan, a wok, different sized stainless steel bowls, measuring spoons/cups, knives, strainers, graters, etc etc). It really sucks when you try to do a recipe and have no way to do a certain step because you don't have the proper tool.

After that, make sure you have the right ingredients. Honest to god, it's funny of how lots of cookbooks go "all of these things can be found at your local grocery store". I live 1 minute from a Save-On-Foods, and let me tell you, they sometimes don't have the simplest shit/spices you require. The nice thing is that once you acquire a lot of ingredients, they'll last you a long time!

And finally, cooking for one person sucks. Even making a simple stir fry tends to take more time/effort cleaning up than actually cooking/preparing the meal. I hate cooking for one. I know some people will say "make extra, freeze it", well I hate that too! :P But over the course of the next 6 months, I am working on getting into a routine of EVERYTHING I eat will be cooked by myself. Being able to make tasty meals is a must

My Ride
    Ford F150

Food network man!

I've always been a good cook, both parents were so maybe that made it easier. But I watch food network all the time to learn new techniques and recipes. Having a palette for flavours and spices helps immensely, but after a while you just know what goes good together.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Just have a go at it.

Some of the best stuff that i have made have been from experimenting and adding this and that to dishes.

Maybe start off with making pasta, its easy and you cant mess it up. Steam some veggies, make ur own sauce, etc., you get the idea.

Do a lemon chicken in the oven with some potatoes, a few herbs, essentially rose-marine, salt, pepper, lemon juice, cut potatoes lengthwise into 4 quarters sprinkle some olive oil, pinch of salt, some spices if u wish, put in the oven, check every so often till done!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I like watching Best Recipes Ever. Not that I ever plan on making any of the food

My Ride
    oooo

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

100% agree.

I cook a lot. I love it. I try different recipies all the time some are good, some suck but allrecipies.com is a great website for recipes.

Good real down south jumbo, genuine mexican fish tacos and even polish potato pancakes just follow the recipies.

I've been fortunate enough that my uncle is a 5 star chef in Cleveland and has showed me a lot. The first thing i learned is that almost everyone overcooks food. -- you are better to under cook something a little and then fire it back on the grill for a few minutes than over cook it.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

fuck shes like my dream wife, cute petite brunette that can coooooook!

superstore has cooking lessons

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Super_Geo

I can make things on the BBQ... steaks, burgers, cedar planked salmon, etc... basically anything that you just flip and put sauce on.

I'm with you on learning the basics first, which is why I was thinking of taking classes. Even a good book (or preferably a series of videos) on cooking fundamentals would be pretty helpful.

I think I've hit the point where it's no longer acceptable to eat out for every meal just cause I haven't bothered learning how to cook... that being said, the things that I do know how to cook and enjoy eating are few and far between.
    Wow that's more than I can do and I work in restaurant but still eat out everyday.

For whatever reason I just find time to do everything else except learn to cook.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    AWOL

Start simple, like pasta and casseroles that you basically pile on and drop into the stove. Learn the difference between frying, boiling, and simmering (hint: the stove is not an on/off appliance). Get your requisite pots, pans, trays and utensils, along with a rice cooker. Cooking isn't difficult, if you can't manage then maybe you can bake me a pretty cake at least?

There's a good cooking for teenagers book, but I can't remember the name...

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Get a wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

i say, expand on what you know already.

You know your way around a BBQ, so expand that. learn how to do beer can chickens, rack of lamb ect.

Even better, invest in a good smoker/grille combo. Smokers are amazing. take longer to cook on, but the meats that come off are so much better, and makes you look like a hero to the girls.

really, after that, learn how to make good garnish. Things like mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, properly cooked pasta ect. They are pretty simple, and always go well with what you make on the smoker or BBQ.

By learning garnish prep, it will naturally lead you to become more comfortable in the kitchen, and you will find yourself cooking more. And don't be afraid to just throw random shit together, it is how i found one of my fav 1 pot dishes. Kraft dinner, cream of mushroom soup and a can of tuna. sounds disgusting, but I like it LOL.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Just to re-iterate some of the things listed here -

Allrecipes.com is a good site for sure. Try this recipe for Teryaki Chicken, crazy easy and by far the best tasting teryiaki chicken I have ever had.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-t...en/detail.aspx

Add Cayenne Pepper for a bit more flavour

I have started watching food tv a fair bit, and its great for giving some inspiration. I do like Jamie Oliver's shows and find his recipes to be pretty simple and tasty. I won't lie I was Giada at home allot, trust me, you'll enjoy it.

Check out this clip on BBC, I made this dish a little while ago and it also came out awesome.

+1, to buying a large variety of spices, and herbs (can be frozen) and keeping them stocked

+1, having the right tools on hand makes everything much easier

Lastly, I know your a Geo, cooking is just like doing lab work, but without the reports!
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 08-17-2011 at 07:44 AM.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

I find Good Eats with Alton Brown great. He goes into the science of cooking so you get a better understanding of what methods to what. A great book is I'm Just Here for the Food http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1584...R687DBGATHVGN3
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Giant Reign

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    That is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks man, I'm going to sign up tomorrow. Looks like Sept13-Oct11 is full, is that the one you're in?

http://register.sait.ca/saitApp/cale...artTerm=000000
    I'm in the November one - I tried to switch to the september start but it was full. Hopefully see you there!
    Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast