Quantcast
Bow float - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Bow float

Default Bow float

Gonna do a bow river float on Sunday. Anyone know roughly the float time from the Glenmore bridge down to Deer Run? I found one post that said 90 minutes from Glenmore down to the boat launch at Sikome Park. That seems quite fast.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Nah its more like 2+ hours.

My Ride
    Hondas

river is flowing fast this year on the west side of the weir, i would assume its the same on the east/south side.

my floats have taken less time than usual this year, almost doubled up one day it was still so early.

Originally posted by 89s1
    river is flowing fast this year on the west side of the weir, i would assume its the same on the east/south side.

my floats have taken less time than usual this year, almost doubled up one day it was still so early.
    Thats what I've noticed!!! Went down to the Southland Dog Park last night and the water was HIGH and MOVING!!! I might have to start up higher. Maybe go in at 17th Ave.

Holy SHITE, the river is going to be busy today. Had to get another boat and only after about 2 hours driving to THREE different Canadian Tires did I find a store with stock. And there were about 20 other people grabbing boats, life jackets, etc. They were just flying off the shelves. What a perfect day for a float. High of 30 degrees today.

Bass Pro has some rafts as well.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Tubes are probably a bad idea for the Bow right?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

We end up renting rafts from the Outdoor Centre. They're heavy duty and and a very comfortable 3 person raft (4 person I think). When you divide up the rent cost, it's cheap. Their high volume pump is ridiculous! I guess it depends how often you float for it to really be worthwhile to buy your own. Nothing is more frustrating than to buy a $50 raft from crappy tire and it tears the first go.

http://www.calgaryoutdoorcentre.ca/g...k_raft_rentals
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Tubes are probably a bad idea for the Bow right?
    *shrug*....I don't know, it's not like you hit any rapids. The water is quite cold though. So your ass would get chilled. As long as you had a life jacket on (with you). Other than that, a tube is just uncomfortable.

So anyways, our trip yesterday: We put in under the Glenmore bridge at 3:00 oclock. We floated down to HERE and it was a 2 hour float. We took one little canal, but other than that, stayed on the main river. Water was very high and quite fast. I'd say at least 10 km/hr. But it was a total blast. Next time I'll go in just below the weir at 17th Ave.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 08-23-2011 at 01:40 PM.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

I am planning on a going for a float this afternoon in a bit. Anyone have a raft and jackets they can lend for beer? Everywhere seems to be sold out. And my raft is at a friends place but he is out of town.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I always use an inflatable air mattress when I go haha. Nothin beats laying down in the sun with a 6er next to you
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Haha...am JUST now driving along deerfoot looking at a flew floaters thinking we should do a float tomorrow. Opened up beyond and I see this post.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    I always use an inflatable air mattress when I go haha. Nothin beats laying down in the sun with a 6er next to you
    Just remember to get that 6er off the raft (or mattress in this case) pretty quick if the cops come around. I don't think they take too kindly to that kinda thing.

Best idea (uh... or so my friends tell me ) is to just make a liquor-melon. Take a watermelon, cut a big hole in it and jam an open mickey of vodka in the hole. Let her sit for a few days to let the booze soak in and then you're sitting pretty. "No officer, we don't have any liquor onboard these are just some watermelon slices".

My Ride
    Ford F150

Fair enough. Usually I float the red deer river though, haven't had any troubles yet
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Originally posted by Benny

Just remember to get that 6er off the raft (or mattress in this case) pretty quick if the cops come around. I don't think they take too kindly to that kinda thing.

Best idea (uh... or so my friends tell me ) is to just make a liquor-melon. Take a watermelon, cut a big hole in it and jam an open mickey of vodka in the hole. Let her sit for a few days to let the booze soak in and then you're sitting pretty. "No officer, we don't have any liquor onboard these are just some watermelon slices".
    I was a little worried about that. I only took along a few beer and was willing to take the risk of a fine. I had a big blue cooler mounted right on top of our boat in plain sight. The cops (F&R, CO...whatever) went by us three times. The only thing they did was signal if we had our life jackets with us. I held them up, (we weren't wearing them) and they gave us a "thumbs up" and carried right on.
    It pays to be an old dude!