Quantcast
Parking ticket for parking in front of our own house? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parking ticket for parking in front of our own house?

My Ride
    2003 RSX Type S

Default Parking ticket for parking in front of our own house?

Hey guys, my girlfriend's car just got the most ridiculous parking ticket EVER. It says we parked too close (less than 1.5m) to the entrance of the property #97 XYZ St. The thing is, our car was parked directly in front of our own house (rented) which was actually #93 XYZ St. #97 is next door but it's not a small property, there's no way our car was anywhere NEAR 1.5m from the entrance of #97. We've always parked directly in front of our house and never had a problem.

Will upload a photo of the ticket when I get a hold of it.

What sort of BS is this!? Any suggestions?

CORRECTION: neighbours on each side are #91 and #95. #97 is actually two doors down....WTF???
    Last edited by i.RSX; 08-31-2011 at 03:21 PM.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Too close to their driveway?

Lol you have some nice neighbours....

Only thing you can do is measure the distance, take pictures and then submit it to the CPA system.

Might want to go ask your neighbour why he called it in. Unless you were in fact within 1.5m of his driveway...

My Ride
    2003 RSX Type S

Originally posted by G-ZUS
    Too close to their driveway?
    No, we parked at the front of the house. The "driveway"/garage are at the back of the house for all houses in that neighbourhood.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Find out why your neighbor is a douche.

Take pics, go to court. It'll likely get dismissed.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    2003 RSX Type S

Actually, correction: I just checked, and the houses on each side are #91 and #95. #97 is two doors down....!?????

The thing is the car was moved before we saw the ticket (yes we actually drove about 100m down the street before we noticed it). Anyway, will park the car in its original spot and take pictures. This is seriously retarded.

My Ride
    05 Civic

You can't park within 1.5m of a driveway? As in beside it?

I thought you just had to give the owner enough room to pull out?

it's better than Vancouver.

I got my car towed there a few weeks ago because I parked within 6 metres of a crosswalk. There was no marked crosswalk, but they define crosswalk as all of the area defined by the sidewalk perpendicular to the street (if you get what I'm saying). I was about 4 metres past the nearest edge of that area, which in Calgary is fine, but in Vancouver = tow.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Is it possible the person wrote #91 but it looks like 97?

[url]

What is written on the ticket exactly?

I thought most houses nowadays require a permit to be shown while parking. And one must park within 90m of the residence?

Also to dexlargo, so you mean you just parked like near the "turn" of a street to another one? While I don't know the rules or laws specifically, I definitely dislike when people park that close to a corner anyways. Makes turning much more of a hassle, and makes people leaving that street difficult to see oncoming traffic as well. I don't really see people get ticketed for it, but I am sorta glad they enforce that.

My Ride
    none

Check the plate number. maybe someone stuck it on your window hoping you would pay it.

Reading this I just had a funny thought. When we park our SUV on the street, we usually park it RIGHT in front of our driveway. The reason being is, so we can actually see it and keep and eye on it. Anywhere else and there's no direct line of sight from a window. Of course being OUR car in front of OUR driveway, its not an issue. But if Parking Authority came by, I guess we'd get a ticket, as there's no way they would know who's car belongs to what house. LOL...I better not park it there anymore.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by -relk-
    You can't park within 1.5m of a driveway? As in beside it?

I thought you just had to give the owner enough room to pull out?
    I have heard of that before. If it's not your driveway you have to be 1.5m away. However Im guessing 100% of the time it has to be a complaint that triggers this.

1.5 m isn't that much (about half car lenght or less) so really shouldn't be an issue

My Ride
    2003 RSX Type S

The ticket says exactly this: "OBSTRUCTING ACCESS TO PRIVATE PROPERTY (LESS THAN 1.5M) MEASURED AT 0-M...97 [XYZ] ST. [LICENSE PLATE]"

Except for the house number, the ticket checks out (i.e. it was written for our car). The stupid CPA wrote the wrong house number on the ticket (we're at #93, sitting between #91 and #95). #97 is not even close by and we'd never park that far away from our place. I don't think it was a complaint by #97, the CPA just wrote the wrong house number.

My Ride
    Bicycle

So why is this an issue if nobody has front driveways and you are not near any intersection?

Although, dealing with CPA is PIA.

http://www.calgaryparking.com/web/gu...es/adminreview

Good Luck.

My Ride
    wrx wagon

****BUMP****

I got this same ticket yesterday. Obstructing access to private property within 1.5m. They measured it at 1.3m and drew a little diagram on the ticket showing that I was too close to neighbours driveway.

My question is, can I be 100% certain that it was my neighbour who called it in?? I'm going to go have a little talk with her, but I want to be sure it was her who did this. I live on a cul-de-sac in Cougar Ridge about 15km from downtown so I assume its pretty unlikely that there was a parking patroller just randomly driving around ticketing people.

Thanks!

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Oh and I forgot to add the best part:

A couple weeks ago I was working on my bike in my driveway, neighbour sees me and comes over, asks if I can help her with her bike. When she moved in the movers disassembled it, so its in pieces in her garage and she has no idea how to put it together.

I take it over to my driveway, put it together, pump up the tires, tune the brakes etc, and bring it back over. Only took me about 20 minutes, and of course I don't ask for any money/compensation etc, just being a friendly neighbour.

How does she re-pay me? Calls the parking cops on me!

I'm thinking of writing up an invoice for working on her bike, for the same amount as the parking ticket, and bringing it over to her tonight.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Might not be intentional. She might be complaining about some other vehicle. CPA came and saw a bunch of other violations so the smart guy wrote them all and made it a good day.

My Ride
    66 Accord

House number is wrong. You couldn't have been blocking that address if you park in front of your house. Take it to court and they will toss it out.

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Originally posted by lilmira
    Might not be intentional. She might be complaining about some other vehicle. CPA came and saw a bunch of other violations so the smart guy wrote them all and made it a good day.
    The other side of her house is the other half of her duplex, never seen any cars parked in that driveway or in front of the house. Pretty sure my car is the only one with a ticket but I will check other cars on my street when I get home tonight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast