Quantcast
Distracted Driving law now in effect - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Distracted Driving law now in effect

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Default Distracted Driving law now in effect

So the new distracted driving law is now in effect.

can't text, check e-mail, talk on a handheld cell phone, program a GPS, read a book, eat, drink (?) or apply makeup while behind the wheel.

So why is smoking not included in the list?

- fumbling with the lighter to light the cigarette
    - possibility of dropping a lit cigarette or hot ashes in your lap
    - driving with one hand since the other is holding the cigarette
    - fumbling to put the cigarette in the ash tray (tho i bet 1/2 the people just toss it out the window.)

Discuss.
    Tim

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Actually, you can eat a snack and drink. Eating is vague, as doing so with a spoon or anything that would require dexterity is generally considered a no-no.

I agree with you on the smoking. I bet they simply felt it would be too much of a disruption to smokers. Another benefit: It might reduce roadside fires from people throwing their butts out the window.

BTW: On the way to work I saw 3 people using cells still. Obviously either the message didn't hit everyone, or not everyone gave a shit. (I'm going to guess the latter)

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

I put my money on 43 tickets given out today. Would say more but I'm sure some cops will be nice and give warnings

My Ride
    Is orange - and going to rack up my demerits

Smoking is not in the list so they can still hand out $1000 tickets to people that throw the lit butts out the window. If they made it part of the distracted law they could only get you for $172 instead of a grand.

I was still on my phone as normal today, never text and drive but I'm on my phone all the time. I guess I will see how long it is before I get a ticket. No demerits, no biggie.
    Originally posted by mugensix
    im @ pizza hut here in medicine hat gettin some munchies, and i accidentally take some dudes food.. anyways i get called(did pickup so wen i foned in they musta had the #) and i had to fuckin return it, what a fuckin embarrassment lol, a buncha hotties wrkin 2.
    Originally posted by swak

Your post is a bigger embarrassment than that bro.
    Originally posted by mugensix
    Im sorry, because you must be a fucking immature moron with time to kill hey? go fucking die in a corner. Typical uneducated retard...

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by lellowrx7
    I put my money on 43 tickets given out today. Would say more but I'm sure some cops will be nice and give warnings
    I think 108 tickets.

Originally posted by bbcustoms
    Smoking is not in the list so they can still hand out $1000 tickets to people that throw the lit butts out the window. If they made it part of the distracted law they could only get you for $172 instead of a grand.

I was still on my phone as normal today, never text and drive but I'm on my phone all the time. I guess I will see how long it is before I get a ticket. No demerits, no biggie.

wouldn't you just buy a blue tooth piece? or sync it to the vehicle you're driving if possible?

I understand no demerits, but a blue tooth piece is 1/3 price of one ticket

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I still changed songs on my iPhone while at traffic lights.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by colinxx235

wouldn't you just buy a blue tooth piece? or sync it to the vehicle you're driving if possible?

I understand no demerits, but a blue tooth piece is 1/3 price of one ticket
    Werd, I bought a blue tooth capable deck that my iphone fully integrates with. It is sick. As well, I find I can focus MUCH better on the road when talking hands-free. Beyond that, I can also hear what the hell the person is saying because I am not listening through the shitty iphone speaker. Success!

My Ride
    Grimace

I changed albums on my ipod, I am a menace to society.

Originally posted by lellowrx7
    I say they will issue 0 tickets on day 1. They want to look like they care about road safety. However, I think we will see a big blitz sometime in 2012 where they will issue over 2500 tickets.
    ---

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

My smoking habits have same amount of distraction as sipping on coffee. Granted, I would expect if I am doing lane changes and swerving from a dropped smoke or spilled coffee, i deserve the ticket. Those who don't want a $1000 fine, go buy an ash tray from crappy tire. Spend the $4 and save your money!

I really hope cops are going to use common sense when handing out tickets. There are just some things that shouldn't be done, and some things that are manageable.

EG:

I will grab fries out of the bag while still watching the road, but i wont unwrap a hamburger and attempt to eat that while driving.

I will drink coffee while driving, but my sippy-cup isn't so large that it blocks my view.

I am not going to be choosing songs and making playlists when driving, but i will reach over on my iPod and press "Next" seeing it is always on shuffle.

EDIT: My coworker found his first "checkstop" this morning. One officer with binoculars was checking out traffic on bow bottom. Then a group of cops were pulling ppl into Diamond cove to issue tickets. The setup is very similar to radar/laser on QE2.

EDIT #2: Kenny, there were 5 ppl pulled over on my way to work this morning. Coworker found another 8 ppl pulled over at bow bottom. Chances are good that today smells like money at CPS. lol
    Beyond's Most Wanted

Originally posted by Tomaz
    EDIT #2: Kenny, there were 5 ppl pulled over on my way to work this morning. Coworker found another 8 ppl pulled over at bow bottom. Chances are good that today smells like money at CPS. lol
    Pull overs aren't necessarily tickets but I may be wrong as I wasn't aware they were doing these checkstops. I still stand by my prediction of 0.
    ---

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Does anyone know whether or not you can still get ticketed if you are parked at a red light and fumbling with your phone? Texting, emails etc.....?
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

Originally posted by LadyLuck
    Does anyone know whether or not you can still get ticketed if you are parked at a red light and fumbling with your phone? Texting, emails etc.....?
    Yes, you can. You need to be parked in a legal spot if you want to do any of the prohibited activities.
    ---

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Yes, you are still driving at a red light.

Yes this is deemed illegal too.

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

^ Thanks boys
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

Txting this as I'm driving along deerfoot. Steering with my knee so as to keep both thumbs free.

Oh and also not wearing my seat belt. It chafes my neck

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

They've been pulling ppl over and giving out warnings for the last 3 months, so I'm going to guess it'll be a good blitz of tickets on day 1.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

Red dog from cjay92 is cruisin with the police chief. Just pray it's them pulling you over today you'll get hooked up with a nice Bluetooth set or something like that.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast