Quantcast
Car troubles: jetta TDI 2000 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Car troubles: jetta TDI 2000

Angry Car troubles: jetta TDI 2000

Car troubles: jetta TDI 2000

I drive a jetta TDI 2000 (91, 800km’s). I recently had the timing belt and tensioner replaced (thought it was supposed to be done at 92,000km as opposed to the 96,000 km limit). Also regular with the maintenance.

The other day my car starts acting up: First, when moving at a steady speed (between 20km – 70 km/hr), the car will hesitate a little, sort of lurches forward a bit. Second, it is sometimes slow to respond when I accelerate taking 2 seconds before the car acknowledges that I’ve stepped on the accelerator, and I am light on the step. Third, when I do accelerate, gaining speed to change gears, there is a hissing noise coming from the front passenger side; however, the hissing is not there (or not noticeable) when I’m driving at a steady speed. The check engine light then comes on.

Have the mechanic do the diagnostics. Two errors: the mass air flow sensor; and the waste gate valve (I did not get the codes). When revving the engine (and he was sometimes putting the RPM needle in the red), the exhaust is very black too. He checks the sensors, and all seems well. He recommends that the air intake manifold, which is very dirty, get cleaned out. So it gets done, the air intake manifold is cleaned out; he said he sealed all the lines using silicone sealant; no parts were replaced and all seems well. The mechanic also test drove it, even taking it out on the highway.

I pick up my car the next day, the hissing problem is still there, but disappears when the car warms up. On the way into work, the car hesitates a little (not as much as before) and the exhaust is still black (when I accelerate). Because of the weather I wasn’t able to test it out much, traffic and snow would not allow me to speed up to 120 km/hr to see how it responds. On my way home, my car is more temperamental than earlier that day; it hesitates; hisses; the check engine light comes on; and it struggles if I try to go over 80 km/hr. To keep the speed at 80 km/hr seems very difficult. I’m surprised the car made the 35 km drive home. If I accelerated too much, the car at first would be slow to respond, would then speed up a bit, start to hesitate and there would then come a rattling sound from around the area from which the hissing comes from. I have another mechanic working on the problem. Suspected cause of the problems was the turbo; however, more trouble shooting turns up something called the PCB heater sensor. The computer did not pick up this problem because the wires for this sensor are damaged. I will get more info about this Monday. Can anyone share their opinion about all this? Am I getting milked? What else can it be? Any help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles.

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

the mass air flow sensors are (very) common, the black smoke is too much fuel. so are clogged intake manifolds and EGR valves.
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Jetta TDI intake manifold. This is just a little over 100,000KM. Yucky!

Take it to Alpine Autowerks or Concept-1 and have a proper mechanic check over your car -- front to rear bumper.

This is what they look like all cleaned up...

Is this common with all diesel volkswagens?

Is VAG planning on engineering this better? or is it because North American diesel is so poorly refined?

My Ride
    hearts on fire diamond engagement ring.

yep it is, same prob. with my familys TDI
    Solid Gino......