Quantcast
The last 'missing' Alloy Gullwing #21, Ultimate barn find - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: The last 'missing' Alloy Gullwing #21, Ultimate barn find

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Default The last 'missing' Alloy Gullwing #21, Ultimate barn find

read it on Jalopnik just now and surprised the guy is kind of close to home, well Victoria, would love to visit that parkade next time im out there if he allows it, this particular alloy chassis Gullwing was found in California tho and still has a 1970s license plate on it, this Rudi Koniczek guy is master at restoring old cars, besides old MB, V-12 Packards and a Honda S-600

look at that horn lol:
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

The Mercedes-Benz 300SL was introduced in 1954 as a two-seat, closed sports car with distinctive gull-wing doors and was the first gasoline-powered car with direct injection. Later it was offered as an open roadster. It was the fastest production car of its day.

The 300 referred to the threelitre engine and SL stood for Sport Leicht. From 1955 through 1963, there were approximately 1,800 M-B 300SL roadsters built and 1,383 gullwing coupes produced from 1955 through 1957 in Stuttgart, Germany. Gullwing describes the way the doors lift open.

In the '50s, the factory turned out 29 special lightweight alloy body gull-wing coupes with Plexiglas windows. These are among the world's most valued collector cars, worth about $2.5 million each.

Only 28 of the alloy-bodied cars were accounted for. The whereabouts of No. 29 was one of the great mysteries in the classic car world. Koniczek had restored numbers 1 and 6. He knew where all the other alloy-bodied cars were except for No. 21.

Twenty years ago, he heard about a gull-wing that had been stored in a garage in Santa Monica, Calif., for decades. It was a rumour that he and a California enthusiast followed up on over the years.

This spring, Koniczek was able to make a deal with the owner of the car. But getting the Gullwing out of the garage was a challenge. The widower owner was in his late 80s, and his garage was full of old mainframe computers. The car couldn't even be seen in the garage.

He hired two men to clear the way to the car. When the car began to emerge from the clutter, it became apparent that the search for No. 21 was over. "I took a magnet out of my wallet and ran it over the car and it didn't stick," Koniczek recalls of the moment.

The owner of the car, Tom Wellmer, had received the new 1955 special alloy M-B Gullwing coupe in New York as a graduation gift from his parents. He drove it into the 1970s until the transmission broke. Then he put the car up on jack stands and began taking it apart. He took the wheels and hood off, the interior out and removed the transmission. And then the car just sat - for more than 40 years.

"This is the ultimate garage find and may be one of the greatest finds ever in the collector car world," Koniczek says. "It's amazing to know that the car had been there all those years without anyone knowing about it." It still had the 1971 California license plates.

his collection:

more pics and the article here

his shop in Vic with some nice pics: http://www.rudiandcompany.com/

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

looks like you can follow the restoration on their blog here, or buy a gullwing if youre baller:

http://www.spiritedauto.com/category/barn-find/
    Last edited by n1zm0; 10-06-2011 at 10:41 AM.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

must be nice to be rich as fuck

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-06-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Parents bought Tom Wellmer a car like that for a graduation gift

And that collection...
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

Wow awesome story. I wonder if the owner even knew it was one of 29 alloy body models You would think he would have sold it sooner if he had any idea it was worth 2.5 mil, then again if you have parents that will buy you the fastest production car in the world as a grad gift whats 2.5 mil.
    Winter has arrived! Contact us today for great deals on winter wheel & tire packages.

Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire South
    Bay 3, 3516 80th Avenue SE
    Calgary, Alberta T2C 1J3
    http://www.urbanexp.ca
    email: [email protected]
    p: 403-265-6553
    f: 403-265-6557

My Ride
    Sedans

Not a bad gift.

Blog: http://officialthreetwenty.com/

'92 Grand Prix SE sedan: 3.1L V6 / Auto
    '12 Focus SE sedan: 2.0L I4 / 5-speed manual

-Bill M.

My Ride
    I like. :)

There's something beautiful about it sitting in the garage all covered in ancient dust.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

They went out and bought the most expensive souped up car they could find. I guess Lambo's were not really around all that much in the 50's.
    Definitely an expensive car, but not Lambo expensive. Alloy gullwing's were around $14g US, in 1955, that's about $115g in today's money.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.