Quantcast
Listening to music in the office - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Listening to music in the office

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Default Listening to music in the office

Is listening to music with earphones always appropriate in the office? Is it something a senior person should avoid?

I personally think music keeps me focused on my tasks but for some reason I think a senior person in the office wouldn't do it. None of the managers I've ever worked with do it. Could it be seen as being distracting or maybe its an older generation thing? It also always bugs me when I have to ask someone with earphones on a question twice or three times because of the earphones.

Thoughts?

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

I would say depends on your job. If you program or do cad I cant see it being an issue. If you have to talk to people through out the day its a different story.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Haha my dad was commenting on how everyone always has headphones on when he goes to talk to them at his office just recently. I don't think some senior guys like it(like him), but hey, shit's changing. They will get used to it.

I myself am a headphones guy it can be loud in an open concept office from time to time so it's nice to be able to toss them in and work away.. I mean people are coming by and talking to me all day either to get work/help/answers for stuff, i just yank them out as soon as someone rolls up.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

i wear my headphones at the office, and it is no big deal. I have to communicate with others quite a bit as well.

but don't yell at me from across the office to get my attention, that is what MOC is for.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I work in an open office, and we once had music lightly playing from a hifi. But then people were complaining that they didn't like some of the music styles, or they couldn't concentrate.

Now everyone just uses headphones. While this leads to a deathly quiet office through the day, few are even aware since they are listening to their own music.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

It depends on the job. If it requires you to communicate with other people quite often, then no. If it requires you to focus on your job yourself then it shouldn't matter.

Just govern yourself accordingly, don't be the guy that sticks out for the wrong reason.

My Ride
    Has four wheels

In my experience, managers with their own enclosed offices will usually listen to the radio online feeds or their own music on their computer speakers, but with the volume low (and sometimes the door closed) so no one else outside can hear it.

Anyone in a cubicle or open office uses headphones. Most managers don't mind as long as you're able to take em off for a conversation. If you can see them coming, that gives you extra time to do it too.

My Ride
    Reeks of Awesomeness

I always have headphones on... they are quiet enough though that I can hear people coming or when someone is talking to me (of course I always take them off anyway, so I am not being rude).

In the old job I used them all the time, especially when the girls would start the gossip, then I put the headphone in and turn down the music, bob my head up and down and get caught up on what's going on in their lives...
    Three of my favourite:

originally posted by "paulb1320"

(so tight that my hands went numb in minutes and a have bruises, infact my hands are still numb, 2 hours later)

I'm going to find each and every one of your little internet friends!

I now feel like I went into shock. I started breathing heavily and lost my sense of what was going on.

I don't think it is an issue at all. In fact with my little cubicle "goodie bag" Among other things there was a set of headphones provided for listening to music.

The key is to have it playing quiet enough that people don't have to raise their voice to get your attention or tap you on the shoulder etc.

I leave mine on a low enough volume that I can still hear people walk up behind my cubicle.
    Last edited by J-hop; 10-18-2011 at 07:01 PM.

My Ride
    Honda CRV

Originally posted by Dilmah
    In the old job I used them all the time, especially when the girls would start the gossip, then I put the headphone in and turn down the music, bob my head up and down and get caught up on what's going on in their lives...
    I like this a lot.

When I use headphones I just put one in. That way I can listen to music and still hear if someone is trying to talk to me.

My Ride
    is Invisible

I usually only have one earphone in.

My Ride
    G6

People actually use the term "open office" to define cubicles? Wow lame.

I don't see any issues with headphones as long as you take them off when someone wants to have a conversation.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by Feruk
    I don't see any issues with headphones as long as you take them off when someone wants to have a conversation.
    This.. If the boss says it's OK, and you take them off during conversations, then why not? I hardly talk to people now anyway. Even simple questions are all done through email, even if the person is sitting beside me ahahaha...
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    I like. :)

Depends on the work, I think most senior staff have too many tasks or too much different work to do. For regular/lower staff who are focusing on one/repetitive/monotonous task, music can help them focus or stay on task.

In a position with high levels of interaction with others obviously headphones can get in the way. Of course music without headphones can be distracting or annoying, then you get into the problem of why one person gets to crank it and others don't, or the problem of multiple people cranking music.

I've been in all situations. Currently, the best one for me is silence this way no one is distracted or annoyed. Or headphones, but there's just the problem of not hearing people trying to get your attention.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Once winter comes I find that, for some reason, people enjoy making sucking noises with their face and swallowing their liquid snots. I have no idea why but everyone does it so to keep from having to vomit into my trash can, I have to wear headphones. I wore them at my last job every day for 2 years.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    WRX

I just use 1 earbud so I can at least hear the phone ring and know when people want to talk.

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Bless your heart for using ear phones...my boss and I share an office...and shit is always on full blast!!!!
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

Originally posted by Feruk
    People actually use the term "open office" to define cubicles? Wow lame.

that is actually what it is called. "open office concept", maybe they figured calling it that would reduce the resistance to implement it hahaha.

But the "open office concept" at my work is a lot different than people would think. There aren't rows and rows of tiny cubicles with walls all around you. I only have two walls in mine, I can chat with the guy beside me and see out the window. My cube is also bigger than most offices i've been in. There are currently only half a dozen cubes that don't have a window, and our new floor plan being implemented soon is designed so that everyone gets a window. So i guess its pretty fair to make the distinction between a cubicle floor plan and an open office floor plan i've been in stereotypical cubicle office buildings and they suck...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast