Quantcast
Web host for non-profit - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Web host for non-profit

Default Web host for non-profit

My wife is the co-chair on a Calgary based non-profit organization that may have to transfer it's web site to a new domain and also a new web host because of the original site builder (name onthe account) disappearing and yahoo.com (where it's currently hosted) not being able to transfer control to the organization.

What they would be looking for is a reliable Canadian based web host provider as opposed to an American based firm that is economical (remember, non-profit organization) that also could assist them with hosting a .ca domain as opposed to the .com domain of which they're also having the same ownership issues.

I ran into this very same problem when we bought a small company 4 years ago and it was easier to just let the .com domain lapse and establish a new .ca domain and web site hosted by TELUS.

Anyhow, shoot me some names and pricing - thx, speedog

My Ride
    Ford F150

Godaddy.com for the .ca
    HostGator.com for the hosting

Super cheap. Set the nameservers on the domain to whatever hostgator provides you. Simple. Where the host is located really has no effect on the site, positive or negative.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    AWOL

^ pretty much, altho my personal choices are www.cheap-domainregistration.com (they're really cheap for .com, not sure about .ca though) and www.iweb.com (based in Montreal, east coast is where you want to be) but really for a basic website it doesn't matter that much.

The one thing I recommend is keeping the domain in your name, and not using your domain registrar for your hosting, as they have a nasty habit of holding your domain hostage as well.

My Ride
    Audi

[ moved to computers section ]

I use hostpapa.ca - works out to just under $4/month on a 3 year term.

They have Canadian operations in Ontario, and US operations out of NY.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Don't use GoDaddy, they're horrible to deal with.
    I got some business partners in Calgary that run their own hosting servers, I could even handle the domain registration for you at cost. Let me know if I can help you out.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

It has to be simple, cost effective and they don't want to have to jump through hoops when it comes time to renew the domain and such. My experience with yahoo.com so far has been much, much less than stellar whereas my experience with TELUS through our business has been great.

I see that both TELUS and Shaw offer basically $10 a month packages which would suit this non-profit organization's needs very well and I know that the TELUS interface is quite easy to us - easy enough that it wouldn't take much explaining to some of the people in this organization.

Mar, PM me and we can chat - as this is a locally situated non-profit organization that promotes local business through their farmer's market and that also subsidizes and promotes the local adult figure skating community, they would probably have no problem supporting a local business that can give them the services they need (basic web site) as long as there isn't the hurdles one faces when dealing with out-of-country corporations.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    07' Balt SS

I will recommend Canadian Web Hosting (http://www.canadianwebhosting.com/).

They provide very reliable and affordable hosting out of BC. I've never had a problem with there business or technical support.