Quantcast
Crossing US Border by Car - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crossing US Border by Car

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Default Crossing US Border by Car

I have expired passport (didn't even think about this until now).

Is there any other documentation I could obtain by the 19th of Dec that would allow me to cross border?

Thanks

My Ride
    3.0TFSI

No!!!

Best bet is to go to the passport office tomorrow and get a 24 hour rush...

Edit: yahhh its friday today..

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

You don't technically need a passport when driving, birth cert. And drivers license SHOULD suffice. That being said, the US border guys can still deny you if they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I'm pretty sure they ask for a passport these days, since the homeland security crackdown...

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    You don't technically need a passport when driving, birth cert. And drivers license SHOULD suffice. That being said, the US border guys can still deny you if they want.
    No it used to be like that 4 or 5 years ago but that has changed.

Yeah only option is to get the 24 hour rush but not sure if that means Monday -> Wednesday.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Originally posted by Cos

No it used to be like that 4 or 5 years ago but that has changed.

Yeah only option is to get the 24 hour rush but not sure if that means Monday -> Wednesday.
    Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. Please don't provide information unless you're certain about it.

I've crossed the border by vehicle probably thirty times in the past month with friends and family.

You are absolutely 100% allowed to cross so long as you have a birth certificate and an ordinary driver's license.

If somebody tells you otherwise they are full of shit. The goal is to eventually one day make it so that passports are required... but until then.

Hell, some of the border guards will let you across with just your driver's license. I wouldn't push your luck on that one though...
    Last edited by Tram Common; 12-16-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Originally posted by Tram Common

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. Please don't provide information unless you're certain about it.
    Errrr maybe this should be back to you. From the CBSA.

When entering the United States by land or water, Canadian citizens are required to present one of the following valid documents: a passport, a NEXUS card, a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card or an enhanced driver's licence/enhanced identification card or a Secure Certificate of Indian Status (when this certificate is available and approved by the United States).
    As far as I know an Alberta D/L is not an enhanced drivers license and OBVIOUSLY a birth certificate is not listed. Edit: thanks Toma

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho/menu-eng.html

I dont care if you have done it 30 times in a month (wtf is with that btw), if we tell this guy he is fine. USCBP and/or CBSA could deny him or at least detain him either way due to this law. He may get lucky but he should know of the risks and what is actually required of him.
    Last edited by Cos; 12-16-2011 at 10:11 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    You Crazy

You need a passport "legally".

When entering the United States by land or water, Canadian citizens are required to present one of the following valid documents: a passport, a NEXUS card, a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card or an enhanced driver's licence/enhanced identification card or a Secure Certificate of Indian Status (when this certificate is available and approved by the United States).

Enhanced drivers licenses:
    British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, and Nova Scotia are implementing some form of enhanced driver’s licence and/or photo card. Manitoba, Quebec, and British Columbia have already launched their programs.

Alberta, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island have decided against enhanced driver's licences/enhanced identification cards in favour of passports.

Citizens from those provinces will be required to use valid passports for all travel to the United States.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

Yep, I can confirm it from personal experience, you can coss the border (by vehicle only) with a driver license and a government id that confirms citizenship (birth certificate is best because non-citizens can get things like SIN#s).

I even called the border before I went to make sure and they said basically "that although they do prefer you bring a passport, since the Obama adminstartion has come in they have blocked laws preventing Canadians from crossing by vehicle. If you're not doing anything illegal they'll let you through and just remind you that the laws are changing".

You can even call the US border and they'll tell you just what I said.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

I've entered the USA through Calgary Airport with an expired passport. The airline wouldn't even issue me a ticket, i had to convince them to do it - But the customs guy didnt say anything.

The guy scanned it through and said have a nice day.

Not saying this will happen for you, but it happened for me.

Also, i've had a new passport turned around in under 30 minutes at the Surrey passport office, from ruined passport to new pictures and new passport. You have to pay the hurry fee BUT they can do it.

Good Luck
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Maybelater
    If you're not doing anything illegal they'll let you through and just remind you that the laws are changing".
    If you were doing something illegal, they still wouldn't let you through regardless.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

I called the border (Piegan, MT). They said as long as I bring my expired passport and some papers showing I at least applied for a new passport and recieved some documentation from Govt Canada then there should be no problems.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

Originally posted by sexualbanana

If you were doing something illegal, they still wouldn't let you through regardless.

Aha I know but that is what they told me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The rules state those, but the border guards are pretty lenient. It's just a hassle if you don't have the right documents.

If you're a brown guy with only a drivers license, chances are, they probably won't let you in.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Originally posted by Cos

Errrr maybe this should be back to you. From the CBSA.

As far as I know an Alberta D/L is not an enhanced drivers license and OBVIOUSLY a birth certificate is not listed. Edit: thanks Toma

I dont care if you have done it 30 times in a month (wtf is with that btw), if we tell this guy he is fine. USCBP and/or CBSA could deny him or at least detain him either way due to this law. He may get lucky but he should know of the risks and what is actually required of him.

That's the thing though Cos, if it actually was a law they would turn you away... but like I said, they don't and the border guards even state that it's 100% alright if you simply have a birth certificate and a normal driver's license.

... I've never heard of someone being turned away so long as they have those two things... never.

... I broker parts for a few companies, which is why I go back a forth so much.

Don't forget to pickup $98 worth of US nickels for the trip back!
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Don't forget to pickup $98 worth of US nickels for the trip back!
    wtf? when are you going to stop posting useless shit? fuck its annoying seeing your posts.

im wondering a little here, after reading some of your posts. my buddy has a criminal record from back in 96/97(he was 18 or 19) from Nova Scotia and hasnt been in any real criminal troubles(that hes been caught for, but hes old now, doesnt do stupid shit anymore.)

anyways, im sure if he tries to fly with a passport to the US, he will probably be turned back. my question is, what if we drive across the border, do you think he would still be turned back?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Yeah, they still run names. Criminal record and no pardon = no travel to or over the US.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by FraserB
    Yeah, they still run names. Criminal record and no pardon = no travel to or over the US.
    i thought so, i figured maybe since you dont need an actual passport to drive through the border, it may be different for this too. thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast