Quantcast
Armed 8th Grader Killed in Texas - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Armed 8th Grader Killed in Texas

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Toma
    Never in a million years would I have shot first.
    That's an assumption.

There is a request to drop the gun and kid did point gun at cops.

If the kid did point the gun, talk is over.

Originally posted by Z_Fan
    But still. Kid needed to be shot and it is the kids fault for whatever outcome at that point IMO. Still, I think putting a few bullets in his gut or leg might have been a better choice and might not have been lethal.
    Why does everyone think all cops are sharp shooters?

The bullet in the back of the head does raise some questions. But that's an account from the parents. Have to wait for ME's report.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-05-2012 at 05:33 PM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Slug in the head makes sense if they shot a second apart, body starts falling while second officer is pulling the trigger. No police officer is going to try and shoot someone in the head with a handgun from distance, it goes against the basic weapons training they get.

The thing is, if they had waited until he had put a couple into a kid, people like Toma would be screaming for the cops' heads on sticks for not doing anything.

The kid brought it to school to use as a real gun, to either inflict serious injury or threaten someone with. The law places the use of a real gun and something that closely resembles a real gun in the same category, as it should.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by WithTheLightsOn

So you would've been willing to risk the lives of students, teachers, workers, and police officers just not to shoot at this kid? Please say yes, and I'll know for sure you're full of it.
    In the 20 minutes it took the cops to get it done, he didn't shoot anyone.... No reason for escalation.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 06:10 AM.

In the 20 minutes it took the cops to get it done, he didn't shoot anyone.... No reason for escalation.
    You didn't answer my question.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

20 minutes from the school calling the police until the shooting. The police didn't escalate the situation, the kid was in full control of the entire situation. He could have simply followed their commands and put the weapon down, since he knew full well it was pellet gun it is a case of suicide by cop. Or just abject stupidity if he thought they wouldnt shoot.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by FraserB

20 minutes from the school calling the police until the shooting. The police didn't escalate the situation, the kid was in full control of the entire situation. He could have simply followed their commands and put the weapon down, since he knew full well it was pellet gun it is a case of suicide by cop. Or just abject stupidity if he thought they wouldnt shoot.
    Shooting him in the back of the head is escalation in my books.

Kid didn't shoot anyone in those 20 minutes "that he was in control". Cops took control, a kid with a toy died.

Escalation.

FWIW, I don't think all cops are sharp shooters. But I find it hard to understand why this kid has a bullet wound to the head.

I'd have thought he died to an unfortunate bullet wound to somewhere in the torso region. Not a bullet to the head. The parents allegedly showed pictures of these wounds to the media, that they supposedly took! I just read that online, so who knows about the truth of any of this...

But one truth we can mostly agree on, there is no way in hell Toma is ever going in to a Junior High school anyhow, unless he's looking for a new girlfriend.

Gotta love fear and paranoia.
    Does everything matter or does nothing matter?

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

I'm not here to justify anything. If I was a cop on the scene, I would not have killed the kid period. No ands ifs or buts. Fake gun, real gun, grenade....whatever.

I have never bought, nor will I ever buy the "call of duty" mentality.
    thank god
    someone can think with a level head

If your going to walk into a school with a gun, your not going to show it to anyone first. Youll pull it out and get the job done.

Im not even going to bother getting the link because clearly none of you read the references and just jump to your own answers but think of columbine, virginia tech. Do you think it would have gone like it did if they walked in and showed the weapon first, thought about it, then when cops showed up went to use it?

There was no clear intention of this kid using the gun, so i dont see where they justify shooting this kid in the back.

My Ride
    Hondas

I'm just glad Toma isn't a cop.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by 89s1
    I'm just glad Toma isn't a cop.

Why? You'd be in no danger from getting the beats in a back alley from him. You wouldn't have to worry about any bullshit tickets, and he'd probably back you up in court for defending your home.

Of course, the downside is he'd probably be killed in the line of duty....

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    18 BRZ Sport-Tech RS, 05 Corolla XRS, Planes

Cops: *pop pop pop* go over and check the body.
    *cop goes over to the body*
    Pa system: KILL CONFIRMED +50
    Rides:
    2018 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
    2005 Corolla XRS
    Single Engine Planes

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Just to clear up. The kid was not shot in the back or the head. The coroner's reported showed an injury to the head that was caused by a fall. The two shots, 1 in the ribcage and 1 in the shoulder, are pretty consistent with police training.

It would be impossible to tell a fake gun from a real gun at 50' and when a suspect does not obey commands to drop the weapon and instead points it at you, their intention is pretty clear.

This is what suicide by cop sounds like.

On the recording, police can be heard yelling: 'Put the gun down! Put it on the floor!'

In the background, someone else yells: 'He's saying that he is willing to die.'

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

The one part that pissed me off about the article was the mother's reaction, that of "excessive force" and "why not one shot to bring him down?!"

There is no "wounding shot" when a gun is pointed at police (even if it was a pellet gun that looked like a real one). As soon as the appearance of extreme or lethal force is made, the officers are totally justified in lethal and decisive action. Cops did very well in this situation, firing only three shots to bring down the threat.
    Geek

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Police do not fire warning shots, they are taught from day one that if you're pulling the trigger, you're shooting to take him down.

They don't fire into the air, or aim for extremities. If the situation isn't bad enough to warrant a bullet to the chest, the situation isn't bad enough to pull the trigger. Period.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    E46 M3

Police did the right thing.

The "kid" who is 15:

was holding this pellet gun:

I would have shot too if that was pointed at me. No way you can tell it is a toy.

My Ride
    Hatred

I would have shot him regardless.
    -U

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4