Quantcast
Fuji x-pro1 APS-C range finder - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji x-pro1 APS-C range finder

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Default Fuji x-pro1 APS-C range finder

Looks like Fuji is gonna be releasing an awesome new system. An interchangeable APS-C rangefinder camera.

http://www.slashgear.com/fujifilm-x-...imes-05206345/

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Wow, if that price is at all accurate, I'm definitely interested in getting one (pending reviews and image samples). I'm still eyeballing the X100 haha

Looks awesome, I think it will get a lot of interest. So far nobody has made a killer mirrorless camera system yet. As long as the AF isn't crippled like most other mirrorless cams, this should be a bit hit with the APS-C sensor. Nice fast lenses, too, but I hope they can do the same with zooms.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    As long as the AF isn't crippled like most other mirrorless cams, this should be a bit hit with the APS-C sensor.
    Where do you get this from? You keep saying that yet you have never owned one. I have had a Nikon dslr and a mirrorless and your really splitting hairs to find the differences. If it makes you feel better it is rumored to have both phase and contrast.

Originally posted by kvg

Where do you get this from? You keep saying that yet you have never owned one. I have had a Nikon dslr and a mirrorless and your really splitting hairs to find the differences. If it makes you feel better it is rumored to have both phase and contrast.
    I've used them, though. Try and track rapidly changing or erratic movement going directly towards or away from the camera. Contrast AF can't do it. Contrast AF also struggles in low light. Everywhere I've ever read, by far the largest drawback of current mirrorless cameras is the AF. Obviously for P&S stuff it's fine, but their continuous AF abilities are quite average, and are bested by even the most entry level DSLRs.

Contrast detect uses a quick & sophisticated "guess and check" algorithm, for lack of a better term, to determine AF. Phase detect AF can calculate precisely how to move the lens to bring the subject into focus at any given time - that is why it's so much better at tracking movement.

If you don't want to take my word for it, have a look on other review sites. I googled it really quick, and the first thing to pop up is DPreview's 2011 mirrorless round up. They make a point of saying how bad the AF is for tracking in all current mirrorless cams except the Nikon V1 who makes a decent effort at it with it's phase detect. Here's the wording: "The Nikon 1 cameras are the only ones to make a convincing stab at continuous autofocus but that's about the only significant weakness of Mirrorless as a concept"

Not everyone needs AF that can track movement extremely well, but a lot of people do, including myself.

And yes, it makes me feel better that the new Fuji supposed to have phase detect
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-07-2012 at 11:30 PM.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

My Nikon was better for fast movement, now I get you. I thought you meant to it wasn't accurate.

Originally posted by kvg
    My Nikon was better for fast movement, now I get you. I thought you meant to it wasn't accurate.
    Nope - sorry for the confusion. Accuracy is not a problem for contrast AF except in poor light. It really sucks at tracking movement, though, which is why I'm happy to see more manufactuers (Nikon, and now Fuji), trying to add phase detect AF into their mirrorless systems

If they put out a decent range of lenses and add good phase detect AF to that thing, I don't think they will be able to make enough of them as it will basically solve everyone's current complaints with mirrorless (sensor size, lenses, and AF). Although, APS-C means more glass to cover the image circle, so lenses might be a little bigger.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-07-2012 at 11:33 PM.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I might get one if its as good as I think it will be

My Ride
    rally pig

wow interested as well
    hopefully when this is out they drop the X100 price as I want both.

would be sick if they create an M mount adapter for this.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I thought rangefinders and mirrorless were different?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Depends on the day

kinda sorta, not really. A range finder is a type of mirrorless.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The focusing system between an RF and a M4/3 is completely different...
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Depends on the day

In a Fuji x100, etc is a hybrid viewfinder with an evf built in and you hit a switch to look through the glass or use the evf. The af system is whatever system they choose to use and rumor is the x pro1 will use both phase and contrast. The x100 range finder is a contrast detect just like a m43 camera.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

So Rangefinders are no longer superimposing two images to determine range and obtain focus? And I thought you could have a lot slower shutter speeds on RF's vs the other camera systems? And if not, it begs the question why RFs are even in use anymore. Size I guess? So then M4/3s are going to out them? I'm still confused.
    Last edited by msommers; 01-08-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Depends on the day

The nice thing small rangefinder style with an EVF built in as I have to attach an EVF to my hot shoe on my Panny, plus Fuji lenses have historically been known to rival Leica and Zeiss.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by msommers
    I thought rangefinders and mirrorless were different?
    I'm not too sure why you're confused since you've already pointed out the difference:

Originally posted by msommers
    The focusing system between an RF and a M4/3 is completely different...
    Maybe because you're interchanging mirrorless cameras with m4/3 cameras?

Rangefinders, m4/3, and even P&S cameras are all mirrorless because there is no mirror between the lens and the imaging plane.

Rangefinders cameras are called that because they use rangefinders to determine subject distance for focusing whereas other mirrorless cameras use different methods of achieving focus.

In the cases of SLRs where there is a mirror, when you press the shutter button, the mirror has to go up before the shutter can open. This introduces two potential drawbacks: a momentary delay from when you press the shutter button and when the camera takes the picture, and potential camera shake from the mirror slap. Before when you had all manual rangefinder cameras, the supposed benefits was that there was no delay from when you press the shutter button and when you take the picture and since there was no shutter slap, you could theoretically hand hold the camera at slower speeds. However that might not be the case with modern cameras that use autofocus since they tend to be pretty laggy.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-09-2012 at 06:39 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks D, that helped.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Specifically designed to maximise the mirror less design of the body the X-Mount has a short flange back distance of just 17.7mm.
    Nice, Fuji definitely thought this out well and given the short flange distance, it'll be really easy to come out with a Leica M-mount adapter (among others).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast