Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Underage Drinking and Driving

My Ride
    89 Honda Prelude Si

You da man dude!
    I SHOULD PLAY GOD AND SHOOT YOU MYSELF

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Ryder_23, when did that become law that it's 16?
    A buddy of mine was driving a drunk friend home from a party, and got a ticket for his friend, (who was busy mooning somebody as they drove by), his friend was 17, but he was 18. But they gave him the ticket, not the 17 year old without the belt.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    1996 Trans am

it has to be 16 cause when i was 16 i got a seatbelt ticket. if your drivin alone who they gonna give it to?? as long as you blow zero theres notin they can do to you

My Ride
    95 TSi AWD, 05 300C

it's not illegal for underage people to be drunk in public - its illegal for them to be drinking in public. If you're underage, it is perfectly legal to drink at home (or in any private property) as long as you have your parent's consent. It may be important to note that altho being drunk in public is legal, being a public disturbance is not....and they generally go hand-in-hand.

This is my understanding, but I am not an expert...

My Ride
    06 Legacy GT

As long as you aren't within reach of alchohol you'll be fine. Although the driver is responsible for the passengers in the car...he is not responsible for their stupidity . If they are tame and not interfering with your driving than I couldn't see a good reason for the cop to do anything other than send you on your way. BTW...just echoing everyone else when I say it is very respectible to see a mature young adult every now and then.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

First and foremost, IT WAS A HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION, you are congratulating him on a thought, hahaha, he has said that several times. Read people read.

Now to the Bread and Butter.

If you, the driver, have not been drinking, you're safe from any fines, tickets or citations.

However! You, the driver are responsible for looking after ALL the occupats in the vehicle, making sure everyone is behaving. If your occupants are drawing any unneccessary attention to the vehicle that could distract other drivers, you can and most likely WILL get cited for a STUNTING ticket. This sucks.

Case in point. Driving down 17th Ave with my camera, Buddy is driving, I'm snapping pictures from inside the vehicle, WITHOUT the flash, not hanging out of the car, not making any noise. We stop at a light, there is a cop car 1 car back in the in the other lane. The vehicle we were in is a 100% stock car that does not draw any attention at all. I rest the camera on the window sil and take a picture of the cop, again, no flash, nothing, and this is at a red light. I didn't stick any part of my body out the window, didn't yell, make any attention or noise whatsoever, just 4 inches of camera. Sure enough the Lights come on, and we get pulled over. Threatening to give the driver a stunting ticket and then giving me shit for potentially causing car accidents and deaths. Talk about taking things to seriously, but they let us go cause I made her hear how dumb the things she said sounded.

They will pull over and/or ticket most anything these days, so it is in your best inetest to avoid situations that might put you at risk whenever possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Travel

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by 97GSR
    Although the driver is responsible for the passengers in the car...he is not responsible for their stupidity
    Sorry, you're wrong, we dont need to be giving members false information.
    Travel

The only snag is, correct me if I am wrong Ben, if ANYONE has alcohol in the car that is considered open (a single closed bottle of beer out of a case is considered open) then the driver will get a ticket for having open alcohol even if he blows 0%.

Make sure your friends don't bring their "road pop" along for the ride home my good man.....

My Ride
    95 TSi AWD, 05 300C

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    The only snag is, correct me if I am wrong Ben, if ANYONE has alcohol in the car that is considered open (a single closed bottle of beer out of a case is considered open) then the driver will get a ticket for having open alcohol even if he blows 0%.

Make sure your friends don't bring their "road pop" along for the ride home my good man.....
    that is correct.....even if you have the alcohol in the trunk, and the alcohol has been opened (seal broken or whatever)...if the trunk is accessable from the cab, you can still get a ticket

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by redec

that is correct.....even if you have the alcohol in the trunk, and the alcohol has been opened (seal broken or whatever)...if the trunk is accessable from the cab, you can still get a ticket
    Travel

yea we never have drinks in the car. but thanks for your guys posts. just hope this pursways him

My Ride
    pedals

if you actually think about it most of the cops have seen what bad things come with DUI, so if you told the cop you are the DD he would be happy to see it (not all the time of course). if everything checked out (ins. liscense, registration and no alchohol content) he would wish you on your marry way.

They will not do shit. If you(the driver) is not impaired they will usually respect you for being the DD of your buds. On the other hand, if your friends were to be dicks to the cops, they could give tickets for drinking underage and intoxication in public. I have been in this situation a few times, as long as there is no open liquor and your friends arent rowdy, you will be fine. And plus after the fact, they can't come after you 3 months later with prosecutions that you were not aware of at the scene.
    "You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive".

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Originally posted by redec

They just changed the law recently, you CAN have open liquer in your car if you are just transporting it. However, you may not consume liquer at any time in a car.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

They just changed the law recently, you CAN have open liquer in your car if you are just transporting it. However, you may not consume liquer at any time in a car.
    maybe with a regular license. but DIFFENITLY not with a GDL license. LoL what the hell is the point of having opened liqour in the car when you're not going to be drinking it? may as well have it not opened.
    and serious if you have open liqour in the car and the cop pulls you over, how can you prove that you have not been drinking it? (assuming you already have been drinking earlier)

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by l/l/rX

maybe with a regular license. but DIFFENITLY not with a GDL license. LoL what the hell is the point of having opened liqour in the car when you're not going to be drinking it? may as well have it not opened.
    and serious if you have open liqour in the car and the cop pulls you over, how can you prove that you have not been drinking it? (assuming you already have been drinking earlier)
    Open liquor is not exactly what it implies. If I had an opened 12 pack with 11 sealed beers in it that would be considered open liquor. If I had a 6 pack with 5 beers on it they might call me on that. Also, I often take 2/3 of a 26 to a party just to finish it off and once again it would be considered open liquor. Your safest bet is to keep it out of the reach of the driver. I don't know if the law has changedl ike 5.9/RT suggested but I'd be interested in the details.

Check out this link

http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/custom_page.cfm?page_id=41

It has ALL the rules, regs, laws and bylaws. Very hard to understand though. All the here in's, and there for's.

All that legal mumbo jumbo makes my head explode!

Go to catalogue and select transportation under the Display by responsible ministry pull down
    Last edited by spike98; 01-30-2004 at 12:23 PM.

Originally posted by davidI

Open liquor is not exactly what it implies. If I had an opened 12 pack with 11 sealed beers in it that would be considered open liquor. If I had a 6 pack with 5 beers on it they might call me on that. Also, I often take 2/3 of a 26 to a party just to finish it off and once again it would be considered open liquor. Your safest bet is to keep it out of the reach of the driver. I don't know if the law has changedl ike 5.9/RT suggested but I'd be interested in the details.
    Take for example the new corkage laws at restaurants, where a) you are allowed to bring in your own bottle of wine or b) if you buy a bottle of wine at the restaurant you are allowed to take it with you (read: open bottle). Now how do you supposed you are supposed to get that wine home if you cant have open liquer in your car? The law states something along the lines of open liquer being allowed in the car for transportation purposes only, I'm not sure if this holds true for a GDL since I'm assuming thats the new learners license and I don't even know what the acronym stands for. Basically, if you keep open liquer in the trunk and the driver is stone cold sober I cant see a cop nailing someone for this.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2