Quantcast
Trip to Cancun, Mexico mid April - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Cancun, Mexico mid April

Default Trip to Cancun, Mexico mid April

Hi, I don't watch too much news but I'm planning a trip to Cancun, Mexico in mid April. I was told that it isn't a good time to go to Mexico right now because tourists have been getting killed and such. I was wondering if there is any truth to this and if so, if these incidents are happening in Cancun.
    Mercs

Irrational fear. Your drive to the airport is 10,000X more likely to result in your death. So is eating a Big Mac.
    I used to have a travel thread on Beyond. I used to be somebody.

Ya that's what I was thinking too. I searched the web for any info but couldn't find anything recent. It was all about the drug wars and that happens closer to the US border, not in Cancun. But the person saying its dangerous says she saw it on the news. It's a friend's mother so she might not let my buddy go if she sticks to her guns lol.
    Mercs

How is the weather in mexico end of April beginning of may?? I'd like to take a trip before I head back up north for the summer...

I went mid April in 2008. Weather was good, it never rained. Good times!
    Mercs

You probably be fine. Although of all the tourist spots cancun is probably the most dangerous. I went in April 2011 and our room got broken into.

Oh really? Which resort? I've been to Cancun already too, we didn't have any problems at our resort, Grand Oasis. That's prob where we'll be staying at again.
    Mercs

My Ride
    2014 Mustang GT DIB track pkg 2010 GMC Terrain SLT

Cancun isn't the most dangerous. If anything, Acapulco would be as it is closer to where the drug battles are occuring. I just spent a week in Acapulco too and I am alive and well. My advice to you is just like I would give to anybody looking for a good time, whether in Canada, Mexico or wherever. Don't be an idiot and look for trouble and you'll have fun. Most people who are injured at bars etc. or in Mexico were getting lippy with locals, looking for drugs and such. Cancun is beautiful and you will have an awesome time.

Originally posted by mdeleon
    Oh really? Which resort? I've been to Cancun already too, we didn't have any problems at our resort, Grand Oasis. That's prob where we'll be staying at again.

I was staying at teh Grand Oasis haha. I lucked out. All my shit was spread aroudn the room (cause im a slob on vacation) with my valuables strewn about my stuff. Where as my friend put all his stuff in a backpack (camera wallet passport etc..) and put it on the shelf with a pillow over it and they found that.

Luckily they only took his wallet and nothing else. However the people in the room next to us had everything stolen except their passports.

I suspect it was an inside job (hotel workers) as it was a sunday and we were really tired so we were in the room all afternoon watching tiger attempt to win the masters and we went out to catch the last hour of sun (literally an hour) and we got broken into then, and our neighbors were gone only slightly longer then us.

Well that doesn't seem to reassuring haha.
    Mercs

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Originally posted by mdeleon
    Well that doesn't seem to reassuring haha.
    That is the exception I guarantee it. Go to Cancun, you won't regret it. There is another thread about Mexico already, read up on it. Find a hotel package and use tripadvisor and you can't go wrong.

For a value beach vacation, I don't think you can beat Cancun.

For the record I've been twice, had a blast both times with absolutely nothing gone wrong.

My Ride
    05' Accord LX-V6

Originally posted by msouther
    Cancun isn't the most dangerous. If anything, Acapulco would be as it is closer to where the drug battles are occuring. I just spent a week in Acapulco too and I am alive and well. My advice to you is just like I would give to anybody looking for a good time, whether in Canada, Mexico or wherever. Don't be an idiot and look for trouble and you'll have fun. Most people who are injured at bars etc. or in Mexico were getting lippy with locals, looking for drugs and such. Cancun is beautiful and you will have an awesome time.
    Yeah my friends and I were there last May (early May) had no problems. Cancun is a "resort" city and as long as you stick to the tourist areas you'll be fine. We saw a few Mexican army Humvees with full out machine guns patrolling the roads likely "keeping the peace". Unless you're out looking for trouble you'll be fine.

I was in Cancun in November and we spent 3 nights out in the city and the rest at the resort. All three nights were at the clubs - The City for a Teisto concert, Coco Bongo and Dady'o. At the resort, none of us had any issues with anything being unsafe.

At the Coco Bongo, one of the guys we were with ended up making out with some Latina chick, chick asks him to come outside with her. The girl leaves him in the alley with some Asian dude that mugged him. (He was overly drunk btw). He wasn't hurt, just handed over the cash and walked away.

Other than that, there was originally a group of 5 us that went together, ended up spending all our time with another 8 people. So, out of 13 of us, that was the only issue we had.

However, that can happen anywhere. Not just Mexico.

So go. Just use your head.

As already stated, I've been to Mexico already. Once to Cancun and once to PV. I'm aware of the risks involved in traveling (not just to Mexico), but a friend's mom says she saw warnings about traveling to Mexico on the news so I'm looking around for what she saw and came here to find out if anyone else has heard of know of these warnings she's speaking of. All my searching hasn't given me anything current, and nothing about Cancun.
    Mercs

Mind you with that experience I posted above I am planning to go back in April haha. Like some have said it was likely an exception but I just thought I would share it with you guys.

Ya I'm planing to goin April as well, for my bday!
    Mercs

Currently researching myself and found these:

Latest News:
    http://mexicovacationawareness.com/news.html

Victims:
    http://mexicovacationawareness.com/victims.html

Any thoughts about the Calgary woman who had every bone in her face broken recently right in her hotel in Mazatlan? Sure it wasn't Cancun, but anyone reconsidering Mexico?

My Ride
    GT TDi

people who goto cancun have a lack of an imagination, or money, or both
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by phreezee
    Any thoughts about the Calgary woman who had every bone in her face broken recently right in her hotel in Mazatlan? Sure it wasn't Cancun, but anyone reconsidering Mexico?
    Odds are low that you'll get hurt but I won't go to Mexico just in protest. At this point, I will go to Cuba before Mexico. Heck I would even pay a few bucks more and go to Hawaii.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast