Quantcast
Block Heaters (again!) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Block Heaters (again!)

My Ride
    335i

Default Block Heaters (again!)

I know there are a lot of threads out there dealing with block heaters, and I don't want to hijack any of their threads.

I just ghetto rigged a new plugin tonight, green for ground, the other two I just wired since they didn't need to be ordered (I heard this in another thread).

Plugged in the unit, and I hear nothing. Not even when my hood is open. Another member on the site (also owns an Integra) said that you could hear some noise when the unit was plugged in.

Any thoughts?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

mines really damn quite too.... but there is a slight slight slight humm....

My Ride
    2004 Toyota Echo

Mines pretty quiet too. Just place your hand very carefully near the block heater and see if you can feel any heat.
    2004 Toyota Echo

There should definately be a humming noise. But I doubt you'd feel any heat near it unless it's been plugged in for quite awhile
    You don't wanna race me.... you've seen taillights like mine a thousand times!!!!

RIP T.T. Feb 09 2004

My Ride
    335i

I can't hear a single sound when I plug it in....I'll listen more closely.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

Make sure your connections in the plug are secure.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

Also, (and I"m sure you checked already :tongue: ) check that the outlet you're plugging into is active (plug a lamp in for example).

You'd be suprised how many people plug in block heaters that don't even work... there's a chance it's gone man, sorry to say
    You don't wanna race me.... you've seen taillights like mine a thousand times!!!!

RIP T.T. Feb 09 2004

My Ride
    '99 cbr 600

ya u should hear a sound (ie: sizzling, poping) from the element as it starts to boil your coolant...You should hear this sound with in 5 seconds of plugging it in.
    Last edited by cbr_ryder; 01-30-2004 at 01:26 PM.

mine doesnt make any noise....

since it is just an element in one of the freeze plugs

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Mine is completely silent, but it's a rad hose heater. I suppose it should be.
    Try plugging it in for 20 mins, and put your hand near/on the heater, see if it is warm.
    Also, look for a spark when you plug it in, try plugging it in in a dark room, or at night. That's how I figuired out my oil pan heater was unplugged.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    335i

I went and tried it again, and listened very closely. I heard some sizzling so I know it's working - but I really had to pay attention. I guess it works!

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    '99 cbr 600

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    I went and tried it again, and listened very closely. I heard some sizzling so I know it's working - but I really had to pay attention. I guess it works!
    Ya it's very quite but if u listen close you'll hear it. I find it weird that other people can't hear theirs, every vehicle I've had, I could hear the block heater just from listening in front of the bumber w/ the hood closed.

Default Re: Block Heaters (again!)

Originally posted by Weapon_R

I just ghetto rigged a new plugin tonight, green for ground, the other two I just wired since they didn't need to be ordered (I heard this in another thread).

Both power leads in a BH are likely isolated, but not necissarily. Some devices will have the neutral (return) tied to chassis ground, as it is same potential. If that is the case, and you wire it backwards, your cars chassis will be hot with reference to ground (earth ground)

Your ohmmeter will tell you if this is the case (check for continuity between safety ground (green) and the others.

To check if the element is burnt out, or has an open connection somewhere, put your ohmeter across the power leads. A relatively low ohm value (5-20 ohms im guessing) will indicate its OK. If the meter indicates infinite or overrange (no continity) then something is wrong.

Listening for noise is the worst possible way to determine if a block heater is working. Yeah, it might hum, depending on how it is mounted, but I suspect what these guys are hearing is the motor cooling down

frostyda9 Guest

The easy and ghetto way to check is to plug it in...and then slowly unplug it. If the heater is bad, you shouldn't see anything, and if it's good you should see a little spark as you physically break the connection. Not exactly a CSA approved method of testing, but it's a quick way to check.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

Mine will spark when i plug it in when kinda wet sometimes, lol. But i can't really hear it at all.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

frostyda9, good to know I'm not the only one using that method!
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome