Quantcast
Prof and I speak different language - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Prof and I speak different language

Default Prof and I speak different language

I'm doing this career path outline for my career management class and I don't understand what the prof is trying to ask.

"using proper citation, indicate 3 journal articles that you plan to use for your research."

what exactly is a journal article? is the government of alberta an article? an editorial regarding the field of my outline?

"Indicate 3 electronic databases that you plan to use for your research, explain what questions you expect to be able to answer using each of these databases"

So I'm assuming google is a database? what am I suppose to do? say I went on google, did a search for the industry of my outline and say what questions I expect to answer with the help of google? 3 electronic databases, i don't really understand..

can anyone help?

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

A journal article is typically peer reviewed. That means articles from journals such as the New England Journal of Medecine. Most of my papers were science/medical based so I used online databases like "PubMed".

What is your topic? This will probably dictate where you need to look for journals.

Justin

I'm doing a career plan as an Investment Strategist/Financial Analyst

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

http://www.plu.edu/~libr/articles/business.html

Check out this site for a start.

Default Re: Prof and I speak different language

Originally posted by Shaolin
    I'm doing this career path outline for my career management class and I don't understand what the prof is trying to ask.

"using proper citation, indicate 3 journal articles that you plan to use for your research."

what exactly is a journal article? is the government of alberta an article? an editorial regarding the field of my outline?

"Indicate 3 electronic databases that you plan to use for your research, explain what questions you expect to be able to answer using each of these databases"

So I'm assuming google is a database? what am I suppose to do? say I went on google, did a search for the industry of my outline and say what questions I expect to answer with the help of google? 3 electronic databases, i don't really understand..

can anyone help?
    Ummm, why don't you just ask him to clarify what he's asking if you don't know what he's talking about?

journal articles are peer reviewed and they are usually printed in professional Journals; they are usually industry specific too (e.g. Journal of Marketing, Journal of North America blah blah blah etc.)

Electronic databases are just that... databases of articles, books, and newsprints that have been converted to electronic form.
    the University Library has a number of E-dBs; if you're looking for commerce specific stuff, the Haskayne library has an ABUNDANCE of resources both Journals AND dBs.

Default Re: Re: Prof and I speak different language

Originally posted by lint

Ummm, why don't you just ask him to clarify what he's asking if you don't know what he's talking about?
    I did before I posted on here, she never got back to me.. Alot of the databases require logins and passwords, so there's really not much I can do without going to the place physically.. oh well, the site provided gave enough help for me to actually find some public databases.. thanx for the help everyone.

Check U of C library webpage, or ask the librarian for some help.

For one class they taught us how to go through U of C's journals and databases but I wasn't paying attention.