Quantcast
Weird issue with 5D Mk ii, has this happened to anybody else? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Weird issue with 5D Mk ii, has this happened to anybody else?

Default Weird issue with 5D Mk ii, has this happened to anybody else?

I bought my 5D just under a year ago and when I was swapping lenses yesterday a piece fell out of the body. I was able to narrow it down to either the focusing screen or the screen mounting frame. I attached a quick image of what it looks like.

Has anybody else had this happen?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Shouldn't be a big deal because you can get interchangeable focusing screens. As for what actually fell out, your picture doesn't really give any indication as to what it is. The focusing screen is a transparent piece of plastic while the frame is, well, a frame.

Thanks! I've been reading more into it and was looking at maybe upgrading to the EG-S screen but then read that it would make the viewfinder look dark for any lenses slower than f/2.8

It was just weird that the screen would fall out on its own on the 5D when I have never had this happen before with the 3 previous Canon SLR's that I have owned.

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Altima

Exact same thing happend to my wife with her MKii. She bought that camera from the camera store (just the body) and that piece had fallen out in the box

the camera store upgraded her screen for free. no issues since
    Originally posted by WongYue

10% of a litre bike throttle should mean a 100cc right? I think I can handle that.

Well, since I bought it at Saneal Camera, hopefully they are just as accommodating

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

It probably fell out because the frame wasn't clipped in all the way. I hardly think it's necessary to take it back to the store when it's just a 2 second fix. Pop the screen back in and push the frame in until it clicks. That's like taking your camera back to the store if your battery falls out haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szFOsQ4pGWo&t=1m19s

It probably didn't happen to your other 3 SLRs because they may not have been cameras with interchangeable focus screens.

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

Originally posted by snipa_mini85
    Thanks! I've been reading more into it and was looking at maybe upgrading to the EG-S screen but then read that it would make the viewfinder look dark for any lenses slower than f/2.8

It was just weird that the screen would fall out on its own on the 5D when I have never had this happen before with the 3 previous Canon SLR's that I have owned.
    I use the Ec-S screen on my 1Ds3 and it's great for manual focusing. Much better than the Ec-B screen that I bought in the hopes that I could get a similar MF experience to my film bodies, which it totally fell short of. S-series screens are awesome in that the entire screen is a focusing aid, rather than just the very centre.

Yes, it does makes things dark, but it's mostly an issue when you're actually shooting in dim or dark light. If it's daytime and you're shooting at F/5.6 lens, it should be fine. Darker? Yes. Too dark? Not in my opinion.