Quantcast
Shaw throttling internet upload to another shaw customer? (5 megabits up) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Shaw throttling internet upload to another shaw customer? (5 megabits up)

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default Shaw throttling internet upload to another shaw customer? (5 megabits up)

At work we have a shaw 5 up/100mb business package

at home i have the 25 megabit/2.5 up

with no load on either ends (and no routers on each) when I do a FTP transfer from the server they jump to 640 kiloBYTES (5.1mbits) a second in the first 20 seconds and then go down to 270-500

i tried http as well.

when we had the 2.5 up, and the 1mb up, it would max out on all transfers

in 2009, shaw said oh our network is not yet ready so that is normal (we were paying $300/month for the 5/5) connection than that changed to 50 down/5 up and to about 100$/month

this is the server speedtest

Tech support sent someone out, he didnt know anything about ftp. said everything is working as it should, the speed issues I have to contact shaw for them to "review"

what would you guys suggest or know and care to share?

*business modem is in bridge mode
    *tired binary files and text files
    Last edited by thetransporter; 08-05-2012 at 05:17 AM.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Default Re: Shaw throttling internet upload to another shaw customer? (5 megabits up)

Originally posted by thetransporter
    At work we have a shaw 5 up/100mb business package

at home i have the 25 megabit/2.5 up

with no load on either ends (and no routers on each) when I do a FTP transfer from the server they jump to 640 kiloBYTES (5.1mbits) a second in the first 20 seconds and then go down to 270-500

i tried http as well.

when we had the 2.5 up, and the 1mb up, it would max out on all transfers

in 2009, shaw said oh our network is not yet ready so that is normal (we were paying $300/month for the 5/5) connection than that changed to 50 down/5 up and to about 100$/month

this is the server speedtest

Tech support sent someone out, he didnt know anything about ftp. said everything is working as it should, the speed issues I have to contact shaw for them to "review"

what would you guys suggest or know and care to share?

*business modem is in bridge mode
    *tired binary files and text files

Interesting...

I'm on Shaw Biz 100+. Whenever I'm uploading I can max out and keep my upload maxed. I'll be pushing an update to clients and my upload will be 600+KB/sec constant for however long it takes (sometimes an hour or two)...

I would say that 500KB/sec or anything above is acceptable. Anything less and it could mean a number of things.

Consider that there might be a heavy load on the network (either on your work end, or in your area as a consumer). Is there anything else running hosting on either end? If the server is hosting other stuff and other people are snatching stuff off it, that might be why you got high speeds then had it change.

Is it standard FTP you're using? Or SFTP? If you using secure FTP it could have to do with on-the-fly encryption...
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Use something other than FTP. There's a lot of TCP overhead with FTP which would bottleneck transfers. Use SFTP or something that maintains a persistent connection.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by rage2
    Use something other than FTP. There's a lot of TCP overhead with FTP which would bottleneck transfers. Use SFTP or something that maintains a persistent connection.

thanks , that did make it go to 440 kb a second.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default Re: Re: Shaw throttling internet upload to another shaw customer? (5 megabits up)

Originally posted by Zhariak

Interesting...

I'm on Shaw Biz 100+. Whenever I'm uploading I can max out and keep my upload maxed. I'll be pushing an update to clients and my upload will be 600+KB/sec constant for however long it takes (sometimes an hour or two)...

I would say that 500KB/sec or anything above is acceptable. Anything less and it could mean a number of things.

Consider that there might be a heavy load on the network (either on your work end, or in your area as a consumer). Is there anything else running hosting on either end? If the server is hosting other stuff and other people are snatching stuff off it, that might be why you got high speeds then had it change.

Is it standard FTP you're using? Or SFTP? If you using secure FTP it could have to do with on-the-fly encryption...

I did do it at 3 am where no one was on the server i did even do netstat i was only one connected. and just a few DNS servers.

In my opinion I Dont think 500kbytes is acceptable as we paid for the extra 100kbytes. As we were on 2.5 plan before and we were getting the 2.5mbits upload and were getting the 320 or so kbytes a second.

But as you and Rage to said ftp is not the greatest protocol. I will try other things besides that and SFTP.