Quantcast
Exposed aggregate - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Exposed aggregate

My Ride
    eg6

Default Exposed aggregate

Thinking about doing this to the driveway and front steps. Does anyone have this.

What are the pros and cons?Can anyone recommend a good reputable company here in Calgary.

Thanks in advance

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Some companies use a really glossy sealer that ends up being quite slippery when wet or icy. Be sure to see samples of the work first and discuss this with your contractor.

Slippery steps = injuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I had this at my old place, rocks started to pop out of the driveway when I shoveled plus I found it really slippery in the winter. Could have been the glossy sealer, could be that snow gets trapped in between the rocks (or both I suppose). Anyways, new house - I made sure I didn't get an aggregate driveway.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Some companies use a really glossy sealer that ends up being quite slippery when wet or icy.
    I noticed this too. It's dangerous.

If you are going to get concrete work, get stamped. It is just as durable as broom finished and looks 100x better. As said above, exposed continuously sheds rocks leaving unsightly holes all over your pad.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

If your concrete was done properly it will not shed rocks. I've had it at two of my places. There are different methods of accomplishing the look. One best way is to have the top coat sand blasted to revel the look you want. I also had this done with my pre-cast steps. I just had the manufacturer change the rock size to match what was going in.

As for sealer. That's hit and miss. Do not but the crap they sell at Rona or Home Depot. Go to a Contract construction supply place. There's one around 31st ave NE but the name escapes me right now. Go for the semi gloss. I agree it is slippery when first applied but after a month or so it's fine.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    eg6

I definitely want to go the sand blasted route. My first thought was that it would be slippery in the winter and hard to shovel. I wonder if they can put any sand or something like that on the sealer to give more grip when it is wet.

Any recommendations for companies?

My Ride
    none

I had some work done by these guys. They did some good work. Excavating, rebar and drilled into exiting cement, sand blast, pressure washed and then sealed. All the different people did good work and nice to talk to. Never did meet the owner, but he's the one I would talk to via email etc.

http://www.concrete-fx.com/Exposed-Aggregate.page

It did take him a month to do 16x10 driveway. It's definitely not as slippery as stamped concrete, I never had any stones pop out or have trouble shoveling it. I did notice the shoveling seem to be really loud compared to boom finish.

Originally posted by rotten42

As for sealer. That's hit and miss. Do not but the crap they sell at Rona or Home Depot. Go to a Contract construction supply place. There's one around 31st ave NE but the name escapes me right now. Go for the semi gloss. I agree it is slippery when first applied but after a month or so it's fine.
    Think it's Northland Construction Supplies. Picked up a 5 GAL pail of sealant for something like $100-120.
    http://www.northlandconstruction.com/

My Ride
    335i

Hascon Contracting. Did great work for me and a bunch of other beyonders.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

I have this on my sidewalk only (on steps, it would be nuts), it gets really slippery in the winter if not tended to. Almost like curling rink ice, all pebble like, I end up having to apply a large amount of deicer to the entire sidewalk as a precaution (went through four plastic buckets last year). After a blanket of snow, the metal shovel makes a very loud noise and never really gets the sidewalk as clean as I would like, a plastic shovel is useless as it bounces around. Every Chinook means I have a real hazard for a sidewalk, as the small amount of snow melts and coats the pebbles.

No rocks have popped out, the sidewalk was built in 1998.

I had one letter from Canada Post saying it was reported as unsafe, I was on vacation at the time, never thought about keeping it clear. In my place if the mail stopped coming, I really doubt I would notice, everything is through the internet these days. I was worried more for the letter carrier than the actual "mail".