Quantcast
Cyclocross / Hybrid bikes. Was: 2013 trek CrossRip - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cyclocross / Hybrid bikes. Was: 2013 trek CrossRip

Originally posted by 98type_r
    Odds are that the TriCross Comp will be available in Canada. Specialized generally doesn't exclude models from Canada we just get a crappier website.

I'd take either one over the MEC cote, nothing against the MEC bike, I'm just not a fan of Tiagra components, and dislike how it has a triple ring crankset.
    actually specialized excludes quite a few bikes from coming to canada every year. i'll check our booking for specialized and see if we are getting any for next year.

also for those of you that think internal gear hubs are good in winter...wait until you see what an IGH looks like after one winter, at that point i'd rather deal with just a simple chain replacement then getting a full hub overhaul. Theoretically, if an IGH was fully sealed that would be awesome but none of them are truly sealed and once you get some mositure in there from riding the nicely salted calgary roads its gets ugly quick.

For a winter commuter nothing beats a single speed, I do most of my winter commuting on my single speed and it's cheap for maintenance. A $10 chain every winter and I've been good for the last three.

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

I vote for this one.

Originally posted by bigboom

also for those of you that think internal gear hubs are good in winter...wait until you see what an IGH looks like after one winter, at that point i'd rather deal with just a simple chain replacement then getting a full hub overhaul. Theoretically, if an IGH was fully sealed that would be awesome but none of them are truly sealed and once you get some mositure in there from riding the nicely salted calgary roads its gets ugly quick.

For a winter commuter nothing beats a single speed, I do most of my winter commuting on my single speed and it's cheap for maintenance. A $10 chain every winter and I've been good for the last three.
    Sounds like a good tradeoff to me still. I've ridden a good 15 yrs with a rear derailleur in the winter and when the weather gets ugly it really sucks ass, you really gotta stay on the maintenance. Single speed is indeed great for the winter cause you don't have any of that crap to worry about but the OP has to ride to and from Aspen so he needs gears.

Originally posted by benyl

Remember, I have to ride from downtown to Aspen.
    Ugh, Edworthy climb FTL! Can't imagine how that would be like in winter. What's your best time? I assume you go this way: http://app.strava.com/segments/775255

I'll let others with real IGH experience speak to it...it sounds ideal, but maybe not in practice.

For what it's worth, I had to get my regular rear hub rebuilt because the skewer was seized in it after last winter also.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I did that hill once and said forget it. Not enough rest time between that hill and the Strathcona hill.

Without giving away where I live, here is the route I take.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Un...&z=13&lci=bike

The reason I am looking at a cyclocross bike is the section by the Shaganappi golf course is gravel. I am expecting a pinch flat on my 700x23 tires any day now.

It usually takes 30-40 minutes to get in and about 50 minutes to get home. I am slow. I have gotten home in 42 minutes, but that was on a cool day at the beginning of the week. By Friday, I am in the 50-55 minute range. But 3 weeks of 5 day a week cycling has dropped 7-8lbs off me.

^^ true, and they close that section of path beyond your turn off point after Crowchild in the winter too. So you're stuck with that route I guess.

Originally posted by Moonracer

Sounds like a good tradeoff to me still. I've ridden a good 15 yrs with a rear derailleur in the winter and when the weather gets ugly it really sucks ass, you really gotta stay on the maintenance. Single speed is indeed great for the winter cause you don't have any of that crap to worry about but the OP has to ride to and from Aspen so he needs gears.

i live in cougar ridge and while you may need to suffer a little it's quite do-able as SS, just make sure you are geared correctly. i come up the edworthy hill in the winter and dont really have any issues.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Can someone explain the big price difference between the 2013 Jake and the 2012 Specialized Tricross Elite disc?

Edit: It seems that the Canadian price is $400 more than the US price.

Kona seems to have their US and Canadian pricing aligned, but not Specialized.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

If you do go disc make sure they are DOT fluid, not mineral oil. Mineral oil will freeze on you, and you're going to have a bad time. I went mechanical disc for mine, Zero maintenance is nice. I end up working on my mountain bike enough from broken parts/maintenance that I really neglect my commuter.

If they made these in a bigger size I'd be all over one for commuting: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...5835/#geometry

Just finished tearing my frame down totally and building a singlespeed mtb beater (that ended up being $500 in parts/paint... haha). I converted the front to disc.

Your ride is long enough you can definitely justify a lighter/faster bike. If you find something perfect but with no discs, sell the brand new fork, buy a new one with a disc mount and convert it to front disc, which is all you really need anyway. I like disc much better for winter. Slush days with rim brakes suck. And they are so loud/annoying. SQQUEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKK.

My Ride
    '04 Civic, '07 Element SC

I'm looking for a 2012, 2013 Jake or Jake the Snake. Group buy? haha

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by Afrodeziak
    I'm looking for a 2012, 2013 Jake or Jake the Snake. Group buy? haha
    How tall are you? I have a 2011 Jake The Snake 58CM ridden literally twice, belongs to a family member whose moved out of the country.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

DP
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Benyl, what bike did you end up with?

I'm looking for a commuter bike as well. I've really grown to love the drop handlebars and integrated brake/shifter, but everything seems to be at least $1000 with that style, even with the lowest components.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I didn't.

I used my old Mtn Bike when it started to snow in Oct/Nov. Then I went on vacation and stopped biking. Going to start again April 15th and will likely use my road bike again.

Slogging it with a beater Mtn Bike was so hard that I think I got sick from it. I was really drained after riding home. Or maybe I was sick and it didn't help that I had to work so much harder. I am not in very good shape. haha

I am going to wait and see what 2014 brings. I bet we will see many drop handle bikes with disk brakes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2