Quantcast
Moving Outlook Express to Outlook 2010 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Moving Outlook Express to Outlook 2010

Default Moving Outlook Express to Outlook 2010

Anyone know how to do this?

I need to move all email and all contacts from outlook express to outlook 2010.

I have outlook set up with the email account, and it's receiving current messages as it's supposed to. I just need to get all the old emails in there too from OE.

AFAIK Outlook express cannot export PST files, which would make my life much easier. (If there's a way please let me know!)

So, I searched around and apparently you can do it with windows live mail, but here is where I am stuck. I got all the old emails imported into Windows Live on the new computer. I run the exporter to outlook (also installed on the machine of course), and it runs, finishes, and says it's successful except in outlook no emails are anywhere to be seen.

Anyone know how I can get outlook express emails into outlook, either through Windows live mail or another way? I feel like I'm really close, they just wont show up in outlook even after it says it was successful.

Everything I read suggests it's as simple as exporting from Windows live to outlook and hitting "finish". Apparently everything should magically be in outlook after that, but it's not.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, this is wasting way too much of my time!

Finally got it, thanks.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-19-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Can you please share what the final solution was? I'm curious about this too.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Inzane
    Can you please share what the final solution was? I'm curious about this too.

Thanks.
    Sure.

Outlook Express can only output DBX files (the files in the mail storage folder that Outlook Express creates), not the PST files Outlook needs.

The solution is to install Windows Live Mail (formerly Outlook Express) on the new machine to which you want to switch to Outlook. Windows Live Mail can import DBX files, and can also export into Outlook.

Once Windows Live Mail is set up, you just run an Import in Outlook from Windows Live Mail. It will move over all your folders and everything. As for your contacts, that works just like normal, by exporting/importing a CSV file.

It is very easy if you're going from Outlook --> Outlook, the issue I was having was specifically Outlook Express --> Outlook.

Hope that helps.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Just to add, if you purchased your computer from a store, chances are very likely it already has Windows Live Mail installed on it too.

I see that you've already moved all of your stuff over, but I was wondering if you tried opening Outlook and importing, as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291602 ?

Originally posted by raceman6135
    I see that you've already moved all of your stuff over, but I was wondering if you tried opening Outlook and importing, as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291602 ?
    Yup, I tried all of Microsoft's solutions. The only one that worked at all was using Windows Live as a middleman. Outlook will definitely not import Outlook Express DBX files directly. The Windows Live way even preserves your folders, it was easy once I knew what to do.

Thanks for the update! Glad you found a solution