Quantcast
Time to buy a 4x4 beater ... first time buyer - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Time to buy a 4x4 beater ... first time buyer

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

Lightbulb Time to buy a 4x4 beater ... first time buyer

So I am moving back to Calgary shortly, and this means I am going to need a new winter car. I have decided to look for a 4x4 SUV for a beater and something I can have a little fun with and go off-roading. I don't plan on spending much, but I am pretty mechanically capable so I don't have any issues fixing something myself.

I don't plan on spending very much, ideally I would like to keep the initial vehicle purchase around $1500 for the time being.

Things I want;
    -Decently reliable
    -Automatic trans
    -Easy to work on
    -Good aftermarket support
    -Good 4x4 capability
    -Smaller size (don't want a full size truck)

Hoping some members can give me some advice from past experiences that you may have, and I am open to suggestions.

My top choices so far:

ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee
    -I have always liked these things, and think they look pretty sweet when modded
    -I6 or V8? Not sure which is more reliable, gas expense is not a huge issue
    -Limited, sport, etc.. Any difference with 4x4 equipment?
    -Good aftermarket support (cheap parts too)

Nissan Pathfinder (First or second gen)
    -Nissan VG or VQ V6's are pretty bulletproof
    -Easy to work on

Jeep Cherokee XJ
    -It's a classic jeep
    -Interior space kind of small (bad)
    -Good aftermarket support like the ZJ

Toyota 4Runner
    -Hard to find for this price
    -4cyl too gutless for off-roading?
    -Always wanted a 4runner
    -Good aftermarket
    -Lots seem really rusty as they get older

As of right now I would say I am probably leaning towards a ZJ grand cherokee, but would like to hear some opinions from Beyonders.
    A small lift and some 33's would be awesome...

If you go the Jeep route, might want to look at a Cherokee 4.0 instead of the Grand Cherokee.

For $1500 I dont think you can find a VQ series Pathfinder. VG yes, but those engine have an interference design so make sure the timing belt has been changed. The VQ is a fantastic engine and makes the vehicle feel very peppy. If you are willing to stretch your budget a bit, the VQ series Pathfinders are a fantastic ride.

4Runner is always a good choice. The V4 22RE is the most sought after engine in the earlier 4Runners, but unfortunately a 4Runner in the same condition and mileage seems to go for more $$ with the 22RE. $1500 will probably get you a really beat up 22RE 4Runner. I have the V6 3VZE and honestly, it's not as bad of an engine as some people make it out to be. Just make sure the headgasket recall has been done on it, or that it uses the new design. You shouldnt have any problems offroading in the 22RE as long as you have the manual transmission and a low range gear box. However, even with the slightly more powerful 3VZE and a manual, the 4Runner is pretty gutless on the highway.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

That red ZJ is sitting on about $2,750 to $3,250 in mods depending on how he set the lift up.

It's a 1996-1998 Limited, 5.2L V8 with about 3.5" of lift, 31" Cooper STTs. Looks like JCR or KOR rock rails, ProComp StreetLock rims with probably 3.75" of backspacing, shortty antenna, generic cargo basket on the roof, aftermarket tails as well.

Reliabilty wise, there is no real difference between the 4.0 and the 5.2/5.9, no gas mileage difference either. I would be getting the V8 just for the extra little bit of power.

Trim levels are Laredo and Limited. Laredo is cloth seats, Limited has leather. Some have a sunroof (pain in the ass as the drain gets clogged), different look to the climate controls. Im not a huge fan of the ZJ "leather" and prefer the cloth seats, mostly just preference. 1993-1995 has slightly different molding than the 1996-1998, the hatch glass on the 93-95 doesn't open and has a different grille.

Aftermarket for the ZJ is there, it is just more expensive than every other Jeep with the exception of the WKs. Lit kits can run everywhere from $250 for a 2" coil spacer lift with shocks to $5k+ for something not off the shelf. To run 33" tires you will need 4"+ of lift, a 2" spacer lift or OME kit can clear 31" tires comfortably and still articulate. There are a bunch of small odds and ends you will need too based on what height you decide on.

What kind of mod budget are you looking at?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by nobb
    If you go the Jeep route, might want to look at a Cherokee 4.0 instead of the Grand Cherokee.
    How come?

My Ride

^^ Thanks for the info Fraser, as far as mod budget I don't really have one right now. My main goal right now is to find a half decent base truck to start with.

If I enjoy off-roading and find something decent I don't mind spending some good money on proper mods for it, but any major mods will not be hapenning this winter.

My Ride
    335i

I once bought an XJ for winter and loved it. Kind of regret selling it now because it was so good in the winter. Pretty good offroader out of the box as well if you find one with the right differential.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

The biggest thing to look for is the viscous coupling in the 249 transfer cases craps out eventually. If you are test driving, you want to make sure that you get the truck warm and then do some slow figure 8s in a parking lot. If it hops and skips, the VC is shot and you'll need to replace it yourself (~$400) or swap the transfer case (231 and 242 will bolt in a lot of the time).

249 case has 4 All Time, Neutral and 4 Low
    231 and 242 have a 2wd option and the 4 Low, no real mileage savings.

I would find a good unit first, then do refcovery points (hooks in front and a hitch in the back), then skid plates (gas tank and transfer case). Wheel it that way for a bit and figure out what you want to do. Then lift it.

Most ZJs will come with the skids, hitch and hooks, but some dont. Since it is a unibody, you NEED the special brackets for the front or you can add D-rings with an aftermarket system (~$150).

My Ride
    Silver 12 sec Sedan

I just went through this like 2 weeks ago. I ended up buying a 91 xj 4.0 for 800, lift kit for 300, and 31 a/t for 100. So for ~1200 I now have an off road capable winter rig.

Best park about the xj, there is always a ton of them at PnP, so whenever parts are needed that's my first stop.

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

Default Re: Time to buy a 4x4 beater ... first time buyer

ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee : Had one, was great and reliable. Mine was a 4.0L and I had a 3.5 inch lift with 31" tires. Did good on the trails and in the winter. A little more rattles than I would've like but it's to be expected on older vehicles.

Nissan Pathfinder (First or second gen): I'm on my second one now and I love it a lot! Had a 2 inch lift one my first one and some 31" tires. Went more places than my ZJ and my buddy's 4" lift 32" tire XJ. My current one has 286,000kms and still solid and rattle free. Easy to work on and the replacement parts are not hard to come by. The downside is that there is almost no aftermarket support for these vehicles. I ordered lift springs in mid August and haven't got them yet. On the plus side, I'm running 31" tires on stock saggy suspension with no issues.

Jeep Cherokee XJ : Easy to work on, parts availability is great. Interior rattles a lot and Althought it's a classic look I find it outdated.

Toyota 4Runner
    Awesome trucks but really over priced. Especially the rust free ones.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

Blazer/ jimmy- had one a couple years a 1996 loaded with 4x4 for 500 bucks. Pretty reliable trucks at work we had one over 500k and one over 450 on stock engines
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Love my 93 Pathfinder. Not fast, not fancy but I like it. I would look for a 2001+ version with the 3.5 engine and more toys inside. Reliable and relatively cheap to maintain.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
    Love my 93 Pathfinder. Not fast, not fancy but I like it. I would look for a 2001+ version with the 3.5 engine and more toys inside. Reliable and relatively cheap to maintain.
    I don't think he's finding one of those in his price range

Originally posted by FraserB

How come?
    I've never actually owned a Jeep, so I could be wrong on this, but I basically had the same dilemma as the OP. Some quick research seemed to suggest that the XJ has a more robust transmission + 4.0 engine, better and cheaper aftermarket support, and rear leaf springs.

In the end I went with a 2nd gen 4Runner just because I've always wanted one. I've had Pathfinders in the past and admittedly for the same price, you can get a Pathfinder that will be in better condition, rides nicer, and more powerful.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Im on my 6th Jeep XJ with the 4.0. I have one as my daily and one for off roading. You will not find and easier vehicle to fix and a more capable winter vehicle. You are still good to go even if it has 250,000kms as well. Ive had XJ's, WJ's, ZJ's and my wife has a KJ (Liberty). If you want the more "luxury side" stick with the ZJ but make sure you get the 4.0. Parts are cheap and easy to find as well.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Hey Jason,

I can comment on 1st gen Pathfinder 1987-1995, and on 4Runner's.

First generation Pathfinder is the most reliable vehicle I have had next to my current 3rd gen 4Runner. The VG30 is damn near bullet proof, and that was the first vehicle I got my feet wet wheeling in. I did things off roading in that Pathfinder (Lack of experience, lack of knowledge) that I would never dream of doing in my 4Runner, but it took it and always brought me home! Like Projekz mentioned, there isnt much for aftermarket on these trucks, so unless you can build stuff...great!

1st Generation 4Runner

1984-1985 came with solid front axle and is highly desirable in the off road realm.

1986-1988 have the independent front suspension. Aftermarket is quite decent, and for your price range you can get an average condition for this region 4Runner.

2nd Generation 4Runner

1989-1995

If you want a 4 Cylinder 22R-E Runner, opt for one with a manual. A 22R-E with an automatic is tragically slow.

V6 3VZ-E with a manual is the way to go, again with an auto is painfully slow.

Decent Aftermarket for these trucks as well!

If I were you, and you aren't in a rush. What about holding out for a 3rd Gen 4Runner? Aftermarket beats the 2nd generation by leaps and strides!

You can get a decent 96-98 3rd gen for under 6K, and certain models come with the highly desired Rear Diff Lock!

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Also if you really wanna build it up then Calmini makes a SAS swap for the 87-95 pathy, pretty sure the SASed pathy on here has that kit unless it was done all custom. They also make a 3" lift with upgraded shocks and coils in the back, upper control arms, and HD torsion bars.

I personally would stick with a 4 runner in the same years, alot more aftermarket support if you wanna start modding.

My Ride

Originally posted by CelicaST-162
    Hey Jason,

I can comment on 1st gen Pathfinder 1987-1995, and on 4Runner's.

First generation Pathfinder is the most reliable vehicle I have had next to my current 3rd gen 4Runner. The VG30 is damn near bullet proof, and that was the first vehicle I got my feet wet wheeling in. I did things off roading in that Pathfinder (Lack of experience, lack of knowledge) that I would never dream of doing in my 4Runner, but it took it and always brought me home! Like Projekz mentioned, there isnt much for aftermarket on these trucks, so unless you can build stuff...great!

If I were you, and you aren't in a rush. What about holding out for a 3rd Gen 4Runner? Aftermarket beats the 2nd generation by leaps and strides!

You can get a decent 96-98 3rd gen for under 6K, and certain models come with the highly desired Rear Diff Lock!

Thanks for the advice Vic and everyone else. I would love a 3rd gen 4Runner, I think this would be one of my dream 4x4's, but right now I would rather get something cheaper and maybe get a nice 4Runner in a year or so. With the move and everything I have other things I'd rather put the cash towards this year.

So, I just pulled some things up, and from what you guys are saying and what I see, the first gen pathfinders use a torsion bar front suspension?... I did not know this, interesting setup.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by civic_stylez
    . If you want the more "luxury side" stick with the ZJ but make sure you get the 4.0.
    Disagree on the 4.0, it's pretty dog slow in the ZJ. 5.2L is just as reliable as the 4.0 (if not more, as it lacks the 4.0's habit of eating piston skirts and cracking manifolds), is more powerful, and has almost exactly the same fuel economy (maybe 1MPG worse combined).

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

plus you can tow up to 6500lbs with the 5.2 if it has the factory tow package (i would assume class IV vs class III hitch?)

im thinkin about one for this winter. then put it on boat duty next summer

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

How big of a boat? I wouldn't be putting 6500lbs behind one, max 5000 and that is with a WD hitch and OME springs in the back

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast