Quantcast
Policing the Police - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Policing the Police

My Ride
    '04 Civic, '07 Element SC

Default Policing the Police

Bit of a rant here...

Was driving Southbound on McLeod last night around 11pm passing 17th avenue and this truck came peeling off of 17th ave., no signal and swerves into our middle lane then back into the curb-lane, making us slow down.

He then speeds off, crossing in and out of lanes along the bends (just north of Talisman Centre) and out the corner of my eye, we see an un-marked police cruiser "catch on" and starts following the truck at a pursuit speed, probably 80kph in a 60 zone.

So we're thinking "nice, this douche in the truck has it coming."

What actually happens next? We are stopped beside the truck, have a look and it's a cop texting on his cell phone, wearing a uniform. Light turns green and he floors it off the line up "cemetary hill", out of site by the time we get to the top of the hill.

Sure cops have some entitlement to drive beyond the means of the law of regular folk, but it really annoyed me that they swerved into our lane, missing a signal, while causing us to have to re-act, practiced pursuit-like techniques on public roads at night, potentially causing a danger to pedestrians and vehicles around them... I expect this 'ish from teenagers, not the "serve and protect" folks.

anywho...sorry for wasting your time with this

My Ride
    Silverado

shoulda called the plate in as a drunk driver

My Ride

Thanks, I couldn't find mine.. haha
    ..bored at work

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    shoulda called the plate in as a drunk driver

My Ride
    G6

Default Re: Policing the Police

Originally posted by Afrodeziak
    Was driving Southbound on McLeod last night around 11pm passing 17th avenue and this truck came peeling off of 17th ave., no signal and swerves into our middle lane then back into the curb-lane, making us slow down.
    Betcha didn't even honk.

about a year ago, I left work at 3am, a dodge durango pulls out of the police station next door and stays a ways back from me. we continue up dearfoot to beddington. were both doing 10 over the limit until beddington slows down to 60km/h, i slow down and just in time as i notice a cop at the country hill intersection. Light turns yellow but i don't have time to stop. so i go through, no big deal. I look back and that durango blows through the light about 10seconds later. then blows past me and the marked cruiser doing 90km in the 60, I look over and see he's in plain clothes, certainly not on duty. cherries light up and off the cruiser goes after the durango. and marked dodge durango joins the chase a little further.
    I was so excited that this guy gets his just rewards. until the cherries shut off and i watched all 3 of them cruise up stoney trail.

the law seems to have a pretty good talent at looking the other way from their own.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

You are aware that not all police vehicles are marked and not all police officers wear uniforms and police vehicle dont not always need to use lights and/or sirens when going to a call right?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride

I am aware of ghost cars and plain clothes officers.

To see an unmarked truck drive that erratically, failing to use signals, however still stop at a red light with no traffic kind of gives the wrong impression of what ghost cars are meant for.

My girlfriend was the actual driver and being with her, I instinctively had to question our safety when driving near this vehicle. It was only when we pulled up next to the truck and the COP looked up from his cellphone looking directly at us, did he realize he'd been caught for driving like a dick.

It only became obvious to me that it was a ghost ruck, when the other ghost car failed to "apprehend" the "drunk driver" I was following.

I really don't mind if a ghost car has to drive fast, outside of the law. Both cars hit a red light and did nothing... kind of tells me they weren't exactly required to race each other to the red light like they were on a track.

Is this conversation like beating a dead horse, yes.
    Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving. Next time I'll report the drunk driver.

Originally posted by FraserB
    You are aware that not all police vehicles are marked and not all police officers wear uniforms and police vehicle dont not always need to use lights and/or sirens when going to a call right?

Originally posted by Afrodeziak
    My girlfriend was the actual driver and being with her, I instinctively had to question our safety
    This man speaks the truth

My Ride

^question our safety from driving close to what I perceived to be a drunk driver, lol

With regards to what syritis said. The second car could have very well not known it was a ghost car until he was close enough to see the plate at the red light. Makes sense I guess. Benefit of the doubt given.
    l

Originally posted by FraserB
    Yes i am aware. but if the officer in the unmarked durango was headed to a call so important to respond right from the station and drive like a dick, you'd think other officers would be aware of the call and not try to pull over the unmarked durango initially.

seemed like they tried to pull over a bad driver but once they ran the plates they just turned the other cheek.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

People are so sensitive.

I have never complained about police for a very long time because I am a big believer in karma. The next time I really need a police officer in a hurry it would be nice if I actually got one in a hurry too.

This is just to account for tail risk though.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel

This man speaks the truth
    I like you.