Quantcast
Winter 2012/2013 Weather Discussion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 31 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter 2012/2013 Weather Discussion

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default First real snowfall of the year...

Didn't even stick to the roads, but it did make them wet, and the Calf Robe bridge did get a bit slick...about a dozen vehicles paid the price...LOL

I don't get why the city just doesn't put some sort of heating in that bridge deck triggered by freezing temps to stop this from happening...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

I saw those same ones, was going north though and for some reason north was backed up too
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

What I dont get is why the city didnt ask the contractors last year to GROOVE the payment on the Crash Robe bridge.... like the flyover bridge to downtown

If they heated the bridge, it would only need to be heated around -5c to 0c ambient temperatures .... anything below that the snow just blows off anyway. (driving conditions are the worst around -5c to 0c).

My Ride
    S14|TB1

i saw this probably just as it happened as there were no emergency vehicles there yet but there were lots of cars off to the side of the road that i could see

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

yeah, we were stopped about 80 yards behind it, had to make way for all the emergency vehicles to get past us, so it happened maybe 15 seconds before we got there.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride

Originally posted by revelations
    What I dont get is why the city didnt ask the contractors last year to GROOVE the payment on the Crash Robe bridge.... like the flyover bridge to downtown

If they heated the bridge, it would only need to be heated around -5c to 0c ambient temperatures .... anything below that the snow just blows off anyway. (driving conditions are the worst around -5c to 0c).
    Grooving is a great idea... but it seems they went for the "moon crater" surface treatment.

When you get steam off the river in -20, it gets mighty slick in the morning. I've seen plenty of people spin on bare concrete on the uphill going northbound in the morning. I don't understand how its so predictable when its going to be icy, but they don't do anything about it....
    Last edited by Abeo; 10-21-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Originally posted by Abeo

Grooving is a great idea... but it seems they went for the "moon crater" surface treatment.

When you get stream off the river in -20, it gets mighty slick in the morning. I've seen plenty of people spin on bare concrete on the uphill going northbound in the morning. I don't understand how its so predictable when its going to be icy, but they don't do anything about it....
    Gotta love the sewage outflow right upstream of the calf robe that steams it up too.

Same typical fools every year, don't matter what kind of vehicle/tires they've got. Saw 5 cars pounded up against the east side portland cement barrier a week ago on the bridge over the LRT from EB Anderson onto SB MacLeod - all that had happened weather wise was some snow/freezing rain that sure as shit is going to ice up multiple bridge decks and shazam, people driving like it's still summer and keeping the body shops busy.

Really, it's not a big deal, been driving for 35+ years now and haven't had a winter time accident and this all the while in a variety of FWD/RWD/4WD all season equipped vehicles. Have had many close calls where I've watched other fools come sliding towards me out of control because they have nary a clue as to how to operate their vehicle in slippery conditions and have only gotten out clean from these situations because I left myself enough room or an escape path.

Guess that's the biggest problem with most drivers - they have never been taught the dynamics of actually controlling their vehicle, how to perform skid control in a FWD versus RWD vehicle. Everyone needs to get out on a gravel road or on a slippery piece of road once in a while and run at a good speed to learn how to really operate their vehicle. They need to learn what their vehicle's various control systems can do (or not do) because operating a modern vehicle in adverse conditions is a whole lot different than a 1980's or older non-computerized vehicle - hell, I know so many people who haul off and pump the brakes on their ABS equipped vehicle because they just don't have a clue what their vehicle does, same people who are pounding these barriers on icy bridge decks because they just are too stupid to acknowledge that changing weather conditions just may affect the road surface they're traveling over in a very different way in a very short period of time.

It ain't rocket science, got up this morning to get my one kid to work. He drove and despite the roads being bare and dry in our neck of the woods, I still made him aware that he needed to be extra aware because of the recent snow/whatever and that things as simple as a bunch of wet leaves on the road can be dangerous - also gave him shit for not coming out to clear all the ice from the windows and making sure the wipers were ice free and ready to go (Dad thought about this), that that shit just doesn't magically disappear and it is his responsibility, as a driver, to make sure that his vehicle is not the first source of problems when he goes off on a drive.
    Last edited by speedog; 10-21-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I love the hill from University Dr up to 16th Ave.

Every time it snowed or got icy, I'd see idiots stuck all up that hill, many spinning their tires with winters or stuck on the curb after trying to get over it to drive on the grass. Proper driving would have solved soooo many delays there, oddly enough I could walk right up it with mud terrain tires.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride

Originally posted by Abeo

Thats going to be hell to clear snow off from that for the operators.

My Ride
    my bike

A few cities have installed automatic de-icing sprinkler type systems, I don't know why City Hall hasn't explored that yet.

My Ride
    a minivan, a maxima, and a KLR

Was this around 8pm last night, Spikers? I was heading South around that time over the bridge and experienced some high pucker factor. I felt almost no traction and promptly let off the gas and slowed to about 80. I checked my rear view mirror and a couple hundred metres back I noticed a car lose control. It looked like there was nobody around him/her so I couldn't tell if they recovered or slammed into the guard-rail.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

Listen, you need a dashcam.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

Originally posted by Maybelater
    Listen, you need a dashcam.
    Shhhhhh....we need a radar detector more than we need a dash cam lol
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Here's an idea Winter Tires..
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

Originally posted by cancer man
    truth. i'm mostly amazed at how people move around this city every day without even the slightest concept of physics.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by speedog

been driving for 35+ years now
    WTF? how old are you?
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

Originally posted by ddduke
    WTF? how old are you?
    You know dirt? Not quite there.

My Ride

Originally posted by cancer man
    Stud or studless

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Stoney was slippery too. I was on the OEM all seasons and the car did not want to stay in the lane. Wish I had the winters on already.

There were tons of cars in the ditch, and traffic was stopped at country hills due to a big accident. Lots of cops and firetrucks.

Fun stuff. All melted by morning.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 31 1 2 11 ... LastLast