Quantcast
50 cups of coffee = lethal dose of caffeine. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 50 cups of coffee = lethal dose of caffeine.

Default 50 cups of coffee = lethal dose of caffeine.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/geekq...185208981.html

"Just last week, a lawsuit was filed against Monster Beverage Corp that claims their energy drink caused the death of a 14-year old Maryland girl."

"Jack James, says that it takes roughly 10 grams of caffeine to cause an overdose in the average adult."
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

What kind of shitty parent lets thier 14 year old daughter drink energy drinks?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Something tells me that drinking 50 cups of anything ain't gonna be good to your body.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I drink Monsters all the time (at least 1-2 a day) and I'm healthy as a horse.

Would I chug 10 in a day? Hell no. I'm not retarted.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by lilmira
    Something tells me that drinking 50 cups of anything ain't gonna be good to your body.
    There was a case recently where someone that knew they were going to get drug tested (for doing something absurdly stupid) knew they were going to fail, so the proceeded to chug a couple GALLONS of water. Put themselves in a coma, had to be rushed to the ICU...so yes, drinking to much of anything is not good for you.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    I'm not retarted.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

^
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Go4Long

There was a case recently where someone that knew they were going to get drug tested (for doing something absurdly stupid) knew they were going to fail, so the proceeded to chug a couple GALLONS of water. Put themselves in a coma, had to be rushed to the ICU...so yes, drinking to much of anything is not good for you.
    I'm not sure if it's true or not but there was a radio challenge in the US for chugging water and it killed someone.

So if she died from drinking the equivalent number of cups of coffee would they be suing God for inventing coffee beans?

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by flipstah
    I'm not sure if it's true or not but there was a radio challenge in the US for chugging water and it killed someone.
    I'm not sure if that case is true or not, but I do know the one that I posted is 100% real...it happened in eastern BC in March of 2011.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/10...n_1000490.html
    Last edited by Go4Long; 10-31-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Originally posted by KRyn
    What kind of shitty parent lets their 14 year old daughter drink energy drinks?
    Can we assume that you haven't got any teenaged kids? I've got two and another kid who is now past their teens and once they leave the door to go to school, they're pretty much on their own. As a parent, you can provide them with a safe home and educate them as to what you believe is right and wrong and what might be considered a tolerant level for many things, but at 14 they are a young adult and unless you fully intend on being a helicopter parent who is in their kid's life 24/7, then these young adults are just going to do some stuff that you may not know about or approve of.

After reading a bit more about this lawsuit (link), it has been revealed that this 14 year old had a pre-existng medical condition and that she drank two of these 24 ounce energy drinks on consecutive days. So if she did this at school during her lunch break, how would this all of a sudden make her parents shitty? There is so much we don't know about this situation and to assume her parents failed her is quite a stretch IMHO and at 14, if this girl was educated on her condition and what could complicate it, then she bears some responsibility as well.

My 14 year old daughter - she's probably had an energy drink for all I know but my wife and I, as parents, don't buy them or keep them in the house and certainly we've talked to our three kids about the choices they could make with respect to alternatives to energy drinks. That said, when she left the house this morning to walk to school, there's really no way for us to know for sure that she isn't going to go out at lunch to get an energy drink from the convenience store located half a block away from her junior high school unless I sit parked nearby in my vehicle and that's not going to happen because I need to show her at least a modicum of respect as she is a young adult now.

50 cups of coffee would also be a lethal dose of water.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Just looked at my can. 134mg of caffeine. That means you'd have to drink about 90 cans to have a "lethal" dose of caffeine.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by flipstah
    Hold your wee for a Wii

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Anyone with a serious pre-existing medical condition would know the dangers of it and limitations that it imposes on them. Even if you can't watch your child 24/7, it is not the responsibility of a private company that makes a beverage to make sure they don't ingest something that is perfectly safe for people to consume. All these drinks have warnings on them as well.

What is their claim? "My daughter knew that she had this condition and was not forced to buy your product at all, but did of her own free will so give us money?"

And Speedog, from your posts it seems like you are great parent, so
    Last edited by FraserB; 10-31-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

That doesn't sound too bad. A big cup of Starbucks espresso has 150mg. I can see people having two or more a day. I have a double shot at home in the morning everyday and that's it, probably around 150mg.

The case is similar to peanut allergy IMO. A dose that wouldn't kill an average person killed her because of existing condition. Let's blow it out of proportion and ban peanuts. Peanuts kill you!

If you eat 50lbs at one seating that is.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2019 at 09:09 AM.

My Ride
    G37X

I'm done with energy drinks...haven't had one in 2+ years. They give me ZERO usable energy; only a racing heartbeat. If you really need one to get through your day, I'd suggest you switch to a gym membership and up your water intake/drink black tea. Much better for you.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

That doesn't sound too bad. A big cup of Starbucks espresso has 150mg. I can see people having two or more a day. I have a double shot at home in the morning everyday and that's it, probably around 150mg.

The case is similar to peanut allergy IMO. A dose that wouldn't kill an average person killed her because of existing condition. Let's blow it out of proportion and ban peanuts. Peanuts kill you!

If you eat 50lbs at one seating that is.
    It's not really the caffiene in energy drinks, it's more the Taurine and other stimulants in it.

"But it says "natrual health product" right on the can! That means it has to be good for you, right?"

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast