Quantcast
Harper ships a fleet of vehicles to India for Security - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Harper ships a fleet of vehicles to India for Security

Knowing about the trip in advance, would they not have been able to purchase their own similar armored vehicle there much cheaper without having to fly one from Canada? Or just purchased that armored S-class so they could use it in both areas? Just curious. I do think the protection was necessary.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Knowing about the trip in advance, would they not have been able to purchase their own similar armored vehicle there much cheaper without having to fly one from Canada? Or just purchased that armored S-class so they could use it in both areas? Just curious. I do think the protection was necessary.

If I was the PM, I would have rather braught my own vehicle, instead of having a foreign built vehicle, just because you don't know what's going in to it.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Zhariak

If I was the PM, I would have rather braught my own vehicle, instead of having a foreign built vehicle, just because you don't know what's going in to it.

This was planned in advance with the budget set about already. This is part of protecting our leader. Deal with it.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

They artical said the "armored S-class" turned out to be a 60's era vehicle upon closer inspection, lol.
    I think it says they got offered the S-class for one city, but the 60's POS In the other city, so they couldn't have the S-class for both.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I had to look up what the "Hindustan Ambassador" looks like and it turns out to be article photo!:

Uhhh...Yeah.

My Ride
    4x4

I'm still puzzled by the whole article... it wasn't Harper's decision - it was his rcmp security team... if they feel the need to bring a vehicle, there's likely a reason, its not like they can call up budget rent a car and order an armored limo...

however I am rather confused, is this not common practice? Why did this get any attention at all? I doubt any heads of state travel without their own vehicle that meets their security needs

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

he could of waited till Obama went and shared vehicles since he trying to go for that image.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by thetransporter
    he could of waited till Obama went and shared vehicles since he trying to go for that image.

Why don't we just remove our border and become the 51st state while we're at it?

Seriously, these costs are fuck all in the grand scheme of things. I've seen business lunches cost more. Yes, taking military helicopters for private fishing trips is wrong, but there is nothing wrong with securing our nation's leader in potentially volatile countries.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Knowing about the trip in advance, would they not have been able to purchase their own similar armored vehicle there much cheaper without having to fly one from Canada?
    Then the headline would have been "PM Outsources manufacturing of armoured vehicles to India" It's the joy of being the opposition, your sole responsibility it to oppose, your opposition doesn't need to make sense, and there doesn't need to have been an option that you wouldn't have opposed.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Good on him, he is after all the Primie Minister of Canada. Reminds me of when the Green party bitched harper out about rolling in a Convoy on parliment hill.
    Originally posted by theken
    Off duty cop means not a cop. At that time he is a normal person.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Yes. Just like a ninja in street clothes isn't a ninja.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by davidI

Why don't we just remove our border and become the 51st state while we're at it?

Seriously, these costs are fuck all in the grand scheme of things. I've seen business lunches cost more. Yes, taking military helicopters for private fishing trips is wrong, but there is nothing wrong with securing our nation's leader in potentially volatile countries.
    i think israel is the 51st - we would be the 52nd.

i was only kidding about my statement -

Obligatory nickel comment:

Armored vehicles are of course made of a significant amount of nickel. You can get a full days work out of a person in India for about 2/3rds an ounce of nickel (in rupee coin form, the greatly preferred to paper form of rupee) They do not make armored cars in India, they would rather use that particular metal as money. However, they will melt down iron coins to make razors, an Iron Rupee is worth 35x more as a razor blade than a coin.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...utta-bank.html

44 year career as a beggar = 200 pounds of iron coins = $650 Cdn.

They also have the Tata Nano, brand new for $1,900 which is actually unaffordable to the majority of citizens.

Nickel as armor plating is worth an incalcuable amount more than a nickel coin, I wouldn't even dare to speculate on the price differential.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 11-09-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per tonne.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2