Quantcast
Looking For an Artist.. of sorts - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking For an Artist.. of sorts

Default Looking For an Artist.. of sorts

I've got a very modern home and have finally sat down and figured out what I want to put on the walls. The main focus in the living room is a linear fireplace with open loft space above. I want to place a quote that I quite like, on the wall above that fireplace.

I've got no artistic flair and don't really run in social circles of people who do (ie: artists etc). I don't know where to begin to try and find someone that would be inclined to do something like this.

A girlfriend of mine suggested a graphic artist, grafitti artist or perhaps a tattoo artist that might be looking for a little cash on the side. So, I figured I would try you guys and see if you know anyone who might fit the bill.

Any ideas?

My Ride
    This and that.

I am not sure if you'd be interested in this, but just an idea. You can look into vinyl wall art. There are websites that can custom design whatever quote you want, in any size/colour depending on your needs.

Not sure if that's something you'd be content with, or you want something permanently painted on the wall.

are you looking for someone to do the painting, or someone to provide a quote?

Originally posted by shakalaka
    I am not sure if you'd be interested in this, but just an idea. You can look into vinyl wall art. There are websites that can custom design whatever quote you want, in any size/colour depending on your needs.

Not sure if that's something you'd be content with, or you want something permanently painted on the wall.
    I too was going to suggest vinyl. As far as picking out a font (size, color) and positoin, I would recommend talking with an interior designer. call Dominic at Domicile Interiors and see what he thinks. If he can't help himself, he'll be able to point you in the right direction.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

yeah vinyl for sure, i would say just find a font you like on a free font site (lots of them will let you type in what you want and preview it too) then get someone to cut it out of vinyl... pretty easy job, i may know someone...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

also if you are hell bent on paint you could do a stencil out of vinyl, paint then pull it off. you can get actual paint mask vinyl so you wont be taking your fresh paint with it when you peal off the stencil

My Ride
    This and that.

I was actually looking into doing something like this with vinyl for my new condo. But every time I looked at websites online, I just couldn't decide on the size and stuff. There is a wall that I'd like the whole quote to go on to, but I have no idea what size I should have my letters to make it happen the way I imagine it. So I just always end up not ordering due to the fear of messing it up.

I debated vinyl, but decided like the roughness of the paint itself on the wall. I feels a little more.... Urban to me

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah, stencil for sure. And skakalaka, figure out how many lines high you want the quote and the distance you want it away from the walls then figuring out your actual font size is easy

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

If you want pm me and i'll give you my nieces number this is her forte.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    Fire Truck

If you're looking for custom commissioned airbrush paintings. check out my tattoo artist and good friend Derek Turcotte http://drkturcotte.blogspot.ca/ or if you want more dark crazy biomech/skull eastern influence (dragons, geishas etc) Contact Damian Robertson he just moved from Perfect Image Banff to Deadly tattoos In Calgary. his email is [email protected] or look for them on instagram. If you google or facebook their work, these guys they are the real deal.

Let them know Glenn sent you.

I'm so sorry fixedgear! I glossed over your response. I'm looking for someone to come over, hear what my thoughts are, come up with something a little better, quote and paint.

I looked into the vinyl thing a little more last night and decided that as cool as it is, I want the depth and urban feel of a thick paint on the wall. I will find a pic of it and post it to show you all what I mean

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Try to contact Graham Masters - he does some great stuff and can probably help you out.

http://wecanmakesandwiches.com/content/graham-masters-1

Here is some of his stuff - http://wecanmakesandwiches.com/content/graham-masters-2

I think his phone # is on that stie, but let me know if you need to get a hold of him.
    Last edited by davidI; 11-14-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Originally posted by dannie
    I'm so sorry fixedgear! I glossed over your response. I'm looking for someone to come over, hear what my thoughts are, come up with something a little better, quote and paint.

I looked into the vinyl thing a little more last night and decided that as cool as it is, I want the depth and urban feel of a thick paint on the wall. I will find a pic of it and post it to show you all what I mean
    Like I said, talk with an interior designer. This is what they do for a living. You could ask a graffiti or tattoo artist, but keep in mind that its going to end up looking like a big tattoo on your wall. if you want something that makes sense for a home interior and adds value to the home, talk to a designer. Dominic at domicile is very good (look at the website) but there are a number if other good people in calgary too.

Dave Brunning

http://thekidbelo.com/

He does this sort of thing all of the time.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Originally posted by FixedGear

Like I said, talk with an interior designer. This is what they do for a living. You could ask a graffiti or tattoo artist, but keep in mind that its going to end up looking like a big tattoo on your wall. if you want something that makes sense for a home interior and adds value to the home, talk to a designer. Dominic at domicile is very good (look at the website) but there are a number if other good people in calgary too.
    A little OT, but Dominic is no longer at Domicile.

I don't see much of a point in talking to an interior designer. I know what I want, I just don't have the right artist to do it.

Dave Brunning looks like he might work. I will try to get ahold of him. I have a feeling that what I want will be too main stream for him.

This is the space.... its just the wall above the fire place with a couple lines of text.

My Ride
    R6///R50

Damn, nice place!

Originally posted by dannie
    I don't see much of a point in talking to an interior designer. I know what I want, I just don't have the right artist to do it.

Dave Brunning looks like he might work. I will try to get ahold of him. I have a feeling that what I want will be too main stream for him.

I suggested an interior designer because they are interested in the how the quote (font, color, size, position, etc.) will fit into the focal point and the rest of the space. Most graffiti artists are not going to appreciate that and will just scrawl something that would appeal to a 17 year old kid... but good luck, hope it turns out well!
    Last edited by FixedGear; 11-14-2012 at 04:18 PM.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

IMO I would stay away from vinyl, my brother is in the industry and I've done something like this in my old place and I thought it looked a bit cheesy and kind of ruined the space because it looked too manufactured, kind of reminding me of something like this:
    http://manwifeanddog.com/2011/04/05/...#axzz2CGhJoWZi
    Just looks like some cheesy shit you pick up at Ikea.

If you want someone who deals with things like this then you can try my friend Ryan Krebs, he's an amazing local tattoo artist and does lots of things like this on the side. He paints, designs shoes, draws, etc. I can put you in contact with him if you'd like, I just don't want to post his personal info on a public forum.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast