Quantcast
Shaw Cable v. Telus Optik - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Shaw Cable v. Telus Optik

Originally posted by eblend
    usenetserver.com, they had a $10/month promo going almost always, just google for it as they don't show it on their site. $10 per month billed monthly.
    News Group Direct has specials for $5/month unlimited every once & while and weekly "Happy Hour" sales on block accounts, but they are a reseller of Highwinds (same Shaw's usenet servers are).

Use them as a block account along with a $96/year unlimited account from Astraweb.
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by GoChris
    I picked up an unlimited newsdemon account for $5 a month. Sometimes there are some pretty good sales.

sounds pretty good, same as mine just 50 connections vs 20..won't matter much to me I only have 50mbps and already maxing it out on 20 connections, but in the future might be worth it to switch.

Do you know if you can connect from multiple IPs at the same time? I tried astraweb one time, and only one person would download at a time, with usenetserver, both me and my friend can be online at the same time so that is why i stuck with them.

My Ride
    TDi

Has anyone installed the d-link n300 on sale at FS/BB to their telus connection?

Googled and saw some instructions but I want to confirm it works. I am a computer noob when it comes to routers.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride

Any router will work with Telus if you don't want to use their all in one device, just throw the new router into the DMZ on the telus box and your good to go.

My Ride
    TDi

Any router will work with Telus if you don't want to use their all in one device, just throw the new router into the DMZ on the telus box and your good to go.
    Will it mess with my optik tv?
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride

Originally posted by 403ep3

Will it mess with my optik tv?
    Nah, just leave your optik tv plugged into the telus box, and then connect the new router's WAN port to one of the LAN ports on Telus router. Then within Telus config, set DMZ to the IP of the new router. You will have to look through Telus router client list to see which IP it assigned to the second router via DHCP.

I have a similar setup myself, but have a CheckPoint firewall with routing and a wireless access point in place of a basic router, but the idea is all the same

My Ride
    TDi

Nah, just leave your optik tv plugged into the telus box, and then connect the new router's WAN port to one of the LAN ports on Telus router. Then within Telus config, set DMZ to the IP of the new router. You will have to look through Telus router client list to see which IP it assigned to the second router via DHCP.

I have a similar setup myself, but have a CheckPoint firewall with routing and a wireless access point in place of a basic router, but the idea is all the same
    Thanks for the information. My router should be coming soon so I will try it out. Hopefully I don't mess things up with my lack of computer knowledge lol.

Btw, Telus is pretty fast with getting you the free tv. I installed last friday and estimated delivery time says it will be here tomorrow. That's less than a week, not bad!
    GO FLAMES GO!

What kind of tv is it? Model?

My Ride
    TDi

Originally posted by EK69
    What kind of tv is it? Model?
    LG 42LN5700

42" Smart LED TV.

It's out for delivery so I should get it sometime after work when I pick it up from Canada Post. It has pretty good reviews and retails for $799 at FS

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ.../10243584.aspx
    GO FLAMES GO!

Bumping an oldie. I was looking into Telus Internet 50. Now, I know my place is not wired for fiber to the home, but Telus says the performance will be just as good, and will not be affected by the TV being used.

Anybody able to comment? What exactly would this be? ADSL2 or something?
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride

Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
    Bumping an oldie. I was looking into Telus Internet 50. Now, I know my place is not wired for fiber to the home, but Telus says the performance will be just as good, and will not be affected by the TV being used.

Anybody able to comment? What exactly would this be? ADSL2 or something?
    I never had 50 on copper, but I know they can do it in some instances if you are close enough to the box. If they said that they can do it for you, you will get 50mbps and you will not notice any service difference between those on fiber. I believe they will give you a new modem, the V2000 or whatever it's called by Actiontech, and I read somewhere that they actually use two pairs of twisted cable vs one, so in essence its actually two 25mbps lines combined into one, or so I think.

When I first moved into my home I too was expecting fiber as I had the cable in the basement, but the boxes on the street were not wired for it, so I expected the worst, but after almost 3 years on 25mbps service on copper up until less then a month ago, I had only one issue which was resolved in the first few weeks of service, and rock solid since. I just switched to 50mbps on fiber and aside from being twice as fast, the difference is minimal.

And copper service is VDSL2+ I believe, might not be the + but definitely some variation of VDSL2

Interesting stuff. I am tempted to try it out as they have good promos on tv+internet going on right now and NHL season is around the corner. I was just worried it would not be on par with Shaw's BB50.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    TDi

Question for you guys/gals: My mom is thinking about getting optik, but her area only allows her to get 15mbs internet. Can you only watch 1 HD channel at a time then?

I guess she's moving all her services to shaw

edit: yeah I guess 15mbs will only let you do 1HD, 2SD
    Last edited by 403ep3; 08-25-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride

15mbps should allow for 2hd 1sd...I had this setup at my place and still at my patents place for over a year before going to 25mbps

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5