Quantcast
Macbook Air VS Asus Zenbook prime - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Macbook Air VS Asus Zenbook prime

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Default Macbook Air VS Asus Zenbook prime

Hi All,

Just about to purchase a new laptop soon. Will be using for browsing web, internet pokers, streaming music, and bit torrents. Also will use for some word processing and possibly microstation CADing.

I'm trying to decide between a macbook air and an Asus UX31A Zenbook prime. Both are fairly similar as far as hardware specs go from what I have seen. I would like to hear peoples thoughts on MAC OS X vs Windows 8. I am a huge hater of itunes and it has sort of turned me off apple in general, but my latest HP laptop with windows 7 is the biggest POS of all time so it's kind of a toss up.

Would like to hear peoples opinions before I make my decision so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Grimace

Zenbook is a pretty awesome laptop especially with the SSD. I am not a big fan of windows 8 though, but 8.1 is coming out soon and should fix some of the issues I have with it. i5 or i7 should be pretty powerful too and the screen is nice.

I have the UX31a and it's a beauty.

- 2 second cold start up (zero exaggeration, the thing fires up as fast as a tablet)
    - Rock solid, all aluminium (stays cool too)
    - Zero keyboard flex, and backlit keys
    - BY FAR the best screen available in the class (matte IPS 1920X1080....it's nearly impossible to get a matte screen on a laptop these days, and IPS is rare)
    - Wireless speeds are double that I can get with any of my other devices (phone, tablet)
    - Dual USB 3.0, mini HDMI, mini VGA, built in card reader
    - Comes with a USb --> Ethernet dongle if you with to hard-wire
    - High quality, compact, charger (smallest I've ever seen for a laptop).
    - Comes with a very high quality carrying case for both the laptop and cables
    - both the i5 and i7 models are dual core with hyperthreading, there isn't a big performance difference, but the i7 is a bit faster

Both have soldered in RAM and SSD's, so there will be no upgrading for either.

The Zenbook is way cheaper, assuming you're looking at Memory Express' deals.

I don't like Windows 8 "metro mode", but you can make it look just like Windows 7. I hate OSX and I hate iTunes, and pretty much all Apple software, so I may not be the best person to comment on that.

Honestly the screen alone is worth it over the Macbook, it's the best laptop screen you'll probably ever look at, especially if you want to ever do any photo editing on it. The screen is a huge selling point for me on any device, and this is as good as it gets.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-30-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Or your next option that out specs both is...

http://www.samsung.com/global/ativ/ativbook9plus.html

Should go on sale sometime in september.

Originally posted by spike98
    Or your next option that out specs both is...

http://www.samsung.com/global/ativ/ativbook9plus.html

Should go on sale sometime in september.
    Those are nice but they use a super glossy non-IPS screen. For me that would be a deal breaker. Crazy resolution though.

Originally posted by schocker
    Zenbook is a pretty awesome laptop especially with the SSD. I am not a big fan of windows 8 though, but 8.1 is coming out soon and should fix some of the issues I have with it. i5 or i7 should be pretty powerful too and the screen is nice.
    FYI:

8.1 doesn't return the classic start menu. It puts in the Start button, but that just takes you to the Metro start screen.

8.1 allows a direct boot to desktop mode.

8.1 gives you the option to disable Metro charms.

If that's the kind of thing you're after, and want a standard start menu as well, then install Classic Shell.

OP: The Asus by a long shot.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

I have the Sammy series 9 and I love it. I considered the zenbook too but I find the zenbook to look a bit too flashy, not something I would take into a work meeting.

My Ride
    335i

I just got the Zenbook. It really comes down to the OS you prefer. I think the MBA has a nicer feel but the zenbook is very nice and cheaper. I picked mine up for $600 from the memoryexpress sale and the IPS screen is stunning, but I don't like the finicky touchpad and the battery life is exaggerated.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Those are nice but they use a super glossy non-IPS screen. For me that would be a deal breaker. Crazy resolution though.
    I think the panel type is a personal preference and IMO the haswell makes up for it.

Originally posted by spike98

I think the panel type is a personal preference and IMO the haswell makes up for it.
    Fair enough. For any graphics/photo work though you don't want a glossy screen. Haswell is the only thing I wish my Zenbook had, but the price was so absurdly good it doesn't really matter. I think some laptops are pushing 10-11hrs on Haswell, which is pretty crazy.

Fair enough. For any graphics/photo work though you don't want a glossy screen. Haswell is the only thing I wish my Zenbook had, but the price was so absurdly good it doesn't really matter. I think some laptops are pushing 10-11hrs on Haswell, which is pretty crazy.
    Mitsu you should also check out the actual reviews of the pls panel. Same tech as IPS just Sammy's take on it. Glossy yes but certainly is a contender to be one if not the best screen of 2013.

My Ride
    Car

Macbook Air for the simple fact that it has airplay mirroring - grab an apple tv while you'er at it, and suddenly your TV becomes a flawless wireless monitor. Especially nice if you download lots of movies or whatever.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Have you checked out the Sony vaio pro series? Similar price to a macbook air. Has the new Haswell chip, better screen, touchscreen, lightest ultra book in the world right now.

Originally posted by woodywoodford
    Macbook Air for the simple fact that it has airplay mirroring - grab an apple tv while you'er at it, and suddenly your TV becomes a flawless wireless monitor. Especially nice if you download lots of movies or whatever.
    Zenbooks support WiDi for wireless display. Apple TV is also crippled compared to something like a $70 wifi enabled WDTV, not even supporting MKV format along with full 5.1 audio. IMO you're better off streaming via wifi through a WDTV, and you can play any file you want without Apple's usual limitations.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-30-2013 at 08:56 PM.

My Ride
    Car

Zenbooks support WiDi for wireless display. Apple TV is also crippled compared to something like a $70 wifi enabled WDTV, not even supporting MKV format along with full 5.1 audio. IMO you're better off streaming via wifi through a WDTV, and you can play any file you want without Apple's usual limitations.
    Naw man, just use VLC and set the default audio/video devices to airplay. No file limitations, and literally all I have to do is double click my video file and have the TV on the right input. Super easy.