Quantcast
McCall Golf Course gone after 2014 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: McCall Golf Course gone after 2014

Default McCall Golf Course gone after 2014

For you golfers - 2014 will be the final season fro McCall Golf Course. Dunno if it matters but story is
    here.
    Will fuck off, again.

Also gone as of lates, Shawnee and Highland golf courses - makes one wonder what other courses will disappear soon. Land values are most likely the culprit, how long before other courses get re-purposed.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    W204

Let's get a race track in there!!!
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

It is prime land so I guess it's not a huge surprise. Still though, a city of this size should have more than the handful of muni track we do.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

Originally posted by clem24
    Let's get a race track in there!!!
    It's on the airport flight path, it's not like anyone could really complain about noise

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    It is prime land so I guess it's not a huge surprise. Still though, a city of this size should have more than the handful of muni track we do.
    There shouldn't be any muni tracks. They aren't cheaper than privately owned courses to play but are significantly more expensive to operate because they have to pay their staff city employee wages.

It sucks that the city will lose a course and the subsequent green space and I'm surprised to think there wouldn't be a buyer as McCall Lake is probably the best of the city courses, but the city should be getting out of the golf course game.
    Last edited by kertejud2; 02-12-2013 at 10:10 PM.

That's too bad, it's about a 5 minute drive from work and was nice to go to the range at lunch

Also not a fan of Shawnee slopes closing up for 1700 more homes... that area is already super congested, can only imagine how bad it's going to get with the average amount of people in a home is ~3.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, not sure that I really want the city operating golf courses at a loss. I like golf, and I play McCall occasionally, but is that really the best use of our property taxes?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Yeah, not sure that I really want the city operating golf courses at a loss. I like golf, and I play McCall occasionally, but is that really the best use of our property taxes?
    Cause they are going to put the money saved into something like roads... right? Right??

My Ride

I don't get how these Muni courses are money losers. The one in my hometown is very inexpensive to play and turns a small profit every year. Maybe because it's on the edge of town instead of right in the middle of it?

My Ride
    Exploded.

I have sentimental value for that place and I hope something great will take over the land.

I wonder if I can get my balls back from the lake...

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    I don't get how these Muni courses are money losers. The one in my hometown is very inexpensive to play and turns a small profit every year. Maybe because it's on the edge of town instead of right in the middle of it?
    City of Calgary run = Union run/wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

There shouldn't be any muni tracks. They aren't cheaper than privately owned courses to play but are significantly more expensive to operate because they have to pay their staff city employee wages.
    Really? Where else in Calgary can you play 18 holes for under $50 at a true 18 hole course on a weekend?

The only courses that come close are Boulder Creek (goat track, outside the city), Silver Wing (goat track with planes overhead and only cheap on weekdays), Heather Glen (almost a goat track, outside the city) and Fox Hollow (wear your hard hat). None of those courses compares to the city courses for value due to condition, location (outside the city) or danger to your health.

You may have a leg to stand on with Harvest hills but it is not easy to play back to back 9s there since they are so busy.

My Ride
    an econo box

Originally posted by kertejud2

but the city should be getting out of the golf course game.
    Yep. Taxpayers shouldn't be subsidizing expensive hobbies. The same goes for race tracks and hockey rinks.

They were actually self-sustaining a few years ago (i.e. actually making money for the city and not costing any tax revenue). But the last few years they've been losing money... they blamed it on the weather

Originally posted by KrisYYC
    Yep. Taxpayers shouldn't be subsidizing expensive hobbies. The same goes for race tracks and hockey rinks.
    Just itching to know what race track was tax subsidized?

As far as subsidizing expensive hobbies - where do you draw the line? Swimming pools, leisure centers, soccer domes, tennis domes, the velodrome in the SW, could go on and on - they're all public facilities that probably don't make money without some sort of tax subsidy.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    STi

I could see them losing money. I worked at the city golf courses for probably 5 or 6 years when I was in high school/university. When I first started there, prices were cheap (for golf) and the courses were always fully booked with tons of people on the waiting list. When I left, the prices had definitely gone up and were pretty close to some of the nicer semi-private courses. Business definitely dropped significantly. Plus, all the workers there were unionized and started off at around $20/hr.

I actually stopped golfing at most of the city courses because for 10-20 dollars more, you could golf at nicer courses.

My Ride
    an econo box

Originally posted by speedog

Just itching to know what race track was tax subsidized?

As far as subsidizing expensive hobbies - where do you draw the line? Swimming pools, leisure centers, soccer domes, tennis domes, the velodrome in the SW, could go on and on - they're all public facilities that probably don't make money without some sort of tax subsidy.
    I'm not saying there is/was a tax subsidized race track. But when race city closed many on here were losing their mind over it and demanding the city provide them with a track. At huge cost of course. Sorry I'm not ok with the city blowing money on land and operating a track that probably less than 10% of the population would actually use.

As for your other examples. All of it should go user pay.

We have serious infrastructure catch up to do, infrastucture that affects everybody and is needed badly. We can't afford to be spending money on hobbies.

But then again, when it comes to taxes I'm pretty ruthless lol.

I shot 71 at McCall Lake once. My best golf score ever. I'll miss it just for that reason - a place where I once played a really great game of golf - for me.

My Ride

There is no reason for a course like McCall to lose money, even with overpaid union staff. Where they fall down is food service (or lack thereof to be specific). Privately managed it would be pretty easy to increase profits on a place like that. Hell, I think it would be fun to take over as a hobby. I wonder why the City never looked at contracting it out?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast