Quantcast
Air Canada - Altitude Program (status rewards) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Air Canada - Altitude Program (status rewards)

Default Air Canada - Altitude Program (status rewards)

This is my first time ever receiving the Air Canada Altitude card (prestige status - 25k) which options from the 3 bundles are the best to pick?

Tomorrow I'll have to pick my select privileges and I'm thinking I'll go with:
    -Tier Bonus with Air Canada & select Star Alliance member airlines (bundle 1)
    -eUpgrade Credits*
    -Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Passes
    (it looks like bundle 2, I get both privileges)
    -eUpgrade Credits for eligible Flight Pass activities (bundle 3)

I plan on flying quite a bit this year, but I don't plan on aiming for another Altitude card again. I have a shit ton of miles that I will probably use for most of my travels this year, would like to use the eupgrade credits to get me to first class.

How do I earn eupgrade credits? And how many does it take for me to upgrade my seat to first class?

My Ride
    firebird

I would use all e upgrade credits. I will have a few expire, but its so nice to be able to move to first class on a late or early flight. Usually it is about 6 credits to upgrade 1 way to Toronto/LA.

Unless you are anticipating a long layover and travel with someone, I dont see point in using guest passes for lounge.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

sucks this is your first year to get status, they really revamped the whole program this year (not for the better)

Are you going to buy a flight pass this year? If not, then your third option is useless, and might as well get the free qualifying miles.

and to answer your last question. it's based on what fare class you buy (flex vs latitude), and where you are going. check this chart: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...tml#a-Bundle_3

oh and you can't use your eupgrades on aeroplan reward tickets
    Last edited by yellowsnow; 02-28-2013 at 07:32 PM.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Not sure if they've changed it but for the last 2 years I found the eupgrade credits to be completely useless. It only works on the more expensive tickets (i.e. Tango plus) so I could never justify paying 30-50% premium on ticket price just for a chance to get upgraded. For example going to HK was $1200 for tango and $2000 for Tango plus. I'm flying to Toronto next week and it's $620 for cheapest and $800 to be eligible for upgrade.

The 3 trips where my tickets actually qualified for upgrade I didn't get the upgrades to business because of all the super elites.

I ended up always picking the guest passes because then I can just give them to my buddies and tell them to enjoy the open bar.

Thanks for the replies. yellowsnow, probably won't buy a flight pass this year. Was looking at the asia flight pass and it's totally not worth it. I would basically get a round trip to HK using 4/6 flight credits then one way to HK. I could find seat sales through AC for a better price than $3600. I'll choose the other option in that case.

Damn this whole prestige status sounds pretty useless and even more expensive to use really. THAT SUCKS.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

On a side note, I would only redeem aeroplan miles for business/first class tickets. Aeroplan rewards don't include fuel surcharges/taxes... so be prepared to pay an extra few hundred dollars ontop of your 'free' aeroplan flight. sometimes it's just cheaper to buy seat sales in economy. at least in business/first class the extra $$ is worth it imo, especially for international flights. but you have to plan months in advance, cuz seats are hard to find depending on where you want to go... g'luck!