Quantcast
NE gas station "Sunrise Gas"- only gives credit for difference on prepaid purchases - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NE gas station "Sunrise Gas"- only gives credit for difference on prepaid purchases

Originally posted by kaput
    If you use cash to pre-pay for $30 of gas and pay with a $50 bill, do they offer store credit in lieu of change?
    No, you'd get your $20.00 change but if you ended up only putting $25.00 fuel into your vehicle, then Sunrise would only offer you $5.00 in-store credit for the $5.00 of prepay you didn't spend on fuel - they say they can't give you that $5.00 back even though they may have a till with a fistful of $5.00 bills in it. Something to do with them being a small family business, yada yada yada.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '06 BMW 325xi

I have been to that shit hole once to fill up my car, everywhere else I used to fill up my civic it was around $40 bucks (from empty to full) but when I went there the credits were still rolling when I hit about the $51 mark and still didn't stop, I stopped filling it up, it still didn't give me a full tank of gas, never been there again, I wouldn't be surprised if they have tampered with their pumps

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

So whats to stop me from prepaying $5 at a time until i get the desired amount of fuel? Sure its a waste of my time but then you have the pleasure of tying up one pump for a lot longer.

Originally posted by speedog

Really?

You don't get this? Debit/credit means less cash on premises. Less risk to staff while shop is open and less risk to break-ins when shop is closed. Less cash on-site means lower insurance premiums as well.
    I see, thought you meant as a customer

Originally posted by nickyh
    So whats to stop me from prepaying $5 at a time until i get the desired amount of fuel? Sure its a waste of my time but then you have the pleasure of tying up one pump for a lot longer.
    That would be priceless - just make sure you do it during the summer and on an especially hot day when the line of waiting vehicles includes at least just a few that will overheat. I would so much like for you to do this and report back as to the staff's reaction - bet they'd only allow you to keep up the charade for 3 or 4 times max before asking you to take your business elsewhere. Better yet, get a bunch of you and your friends together and tie all of their pumps up in this fashion during a price war.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Same idea as a mail in rebate. They say that 80% of them are never mailed in, so the company is able the stock because it appears cheap, but at the end they get the full retail price from 80% of their customers as they never bother to actually take the time to mail it in.

How is the credit given there? Is it a slip, membership card, does it have an expiry date? I can see them giving out slips and then hoping people lose the papers ect so that a good portion of credits are never claimed (especially if there is an expiry date) thus = profit.

Originally posted by slinkie
    I see, thought you meant as a customer
    No problem but even then for a customer/consumer - having cash on one's person puts one at more risk than a debit card.
    Will fuck off, again.

In Global TV's video, the owner said that his low overhead allows him to keep his gas prices low. So yeah, if you're scamming $2.50 on a $20.00 fill, then that's a nice little extra 12.5% profit margin and certainly that is good for the bottom line.

Some great public exposure on Facebook I see - link.
    Last edited by speedog; 03-16-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Beyond meet at this gas station? We all prefill $5 a couple times?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by G-ZUS
    Beyond meet at this gas station? We all prefill $5 a couple times?
    Wouldn't this yield the same results? Prepay $50 and fill only $47, or prepay $5 x 10 times, at $45 you are still not full, so you go in and prepay another $5....fill up 2 more dollars and still out $3 bucks just the same.

I for one have a pretty good idea how much gas my car will need, and fill it accordingly. Just came back from the states and filled the rental car with prepaid gas all the time, and pretty much was within a dollar or two every time. One does not prepay $80 to fill up a civic, or at least I hope not..

My Ride
    something green

If their gas is so much cheaper , just keep a couple of jerry cans with you and fill the cans up when your car is full..

Edit : looks like Costco and gas plus is cheaper anyway.
    Last edited by Maxt; 03-16-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Another good reason to avoid the NE

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

If only there were other gas stations that you could go to if you don't like this one.

been there a few times, always noticed i had shitty fuel economy.

I asked about this the first time i went there and they said store credit only.

So i just filled up less

no problem for me. Don't understand why anyone needs to make a big huss out of it

you'd never see this in the NW, SW, or SE beyond glenmore!!!!!!!

My Ride
    Depends on the day

^ Preach on brother man

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

I'm curious to know what type of system they are running at the station because there's no such thing as refund on prepay done by CC or debit. It's like a hold back on your account. If you put $50 and only put $25 worth of gas, then it will automatically deduct final amont from your account.

Originally posted by muse017
    I'm curious to know what type of system they are running at the station because there's no such thing as refund on prepay done by CC or debit. It's like a hold back on your account. If you put $50 and only put $25 worth of gas, then it will automatically deduct final amont from your account.
    What Sunrise is most likely doing is getting you to pay for $50.00 worth of product up front on their debit/credit card processing system in the store. Once that transaction is completed, they then set the pump to dispense a maximum of $50.00 of fuel - their pumps are not connected back into their debit/credit processing system.
    Will fuck off, again.

it seems that many/most gas stations these days require that you prepay. are drive-offs really that common? i've never seen it happen in my entire life... have to admit i think it's kind of stupid, it's a PITA and you don't generally seeing other businesses require prepayment (especially when you don't even know how much product you're buying in the first place). even having a few drive-offs per month is a drop in the bucket, and a cost of doing business...

Originally posted by FixedGear
    it seems that many/most gas stations these days require that you prepay. are drive-offs really that common? i've never seen it happen in my entire life... have to admit i think it's kind of stupid, it's a PITA and you don't generally seeing other businesses require prepayment (especially when you don't even know how much product you're buying in the first place). even having a few drive-offs per month is a drop in the bucket, and a cost of doing business...
    When I worked at a gas station we didn't get too many drive offs.
    Maybe 1 a week average.
    Gas stations make such a big deal about it, but what I found is most of the time it was just the cashier not paying attention.
    The person with the gas would come in and buy something but forget about the gas and the cashier says nothing about it.
    And then they blame it on 'criminals' rather than what it really is, employees fucking up.

Only ever saw one legitimate drive off in my time working there.

As for the topic, sounds pretty low to me. "Yeah we can't give out refunds because it's too complicated, so we are going to replace it with an even more complicated process".
    OK then...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast