Quantcast
Badlands Motorsports Resort - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Badlands Motorsports Resort

Originally posted by 89s1
    First, you don't need to trailer a car for it to be fun on a track
    Anyone serious/smart about racing will trailer their car to the track. Unless you have the trunk space for a couple sets of tires, spare parts and tools. The last thing you want is a disabled car 100+km from home.

Do you really think that there are going to be a ton of people on the track with street tires?

Second, tracks like these are viable in areas of the world (and even this country) where the populous has less disposable income than those of use living here, and are as far or further from the nearest urban centre.
    Have an example of any other ones in Canada or the US that have a similar model?

Stop being such a wet blanket.
    Sorry for being a realist, but at the end of the day I have a feeling that there are very few Beyonders with the money and the willingness to invest in a track membership that they may use only a few times a year.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by sputnik

If you think you will be getting on-site storage included in your basic membership you are kidding yourself.

Break down the costs after your initial $10,000 membership is paid for and you are probably still looking at $600-800+ minimum per weekend of racing, and that is not including the cost of your track car or parts/maintenance/racefuel.

Comparing this to Race City but with a longer drive is a bit short-sighted.

I guess if you like driving around a track alone on a Wednesday afternoon it might work for you.
    holy fuck, its clearly not for you! but not being able to think about this from any other view point is making you sound fucking retarded

empty on a wednesday afternoon?! REALLY!? have you ever golfed mid-week?!

your $10k is an equity investment not a sunk cost. you will recoup it plus some if you sell.

you clearly have not met any racers. i know guys who run two series every year at tracks all around north america... at $2k/weekend IF nothing breaks... if you have a passion for it, you will spend the cash. period. is there enough people like that in western canada to make it a viable business? fuck yes

what other insane things do people do with their free time? oh, i dunno. how about ski racing as an example...

my uncle had 3 kids racing, 3.5hr away... every bloody week... i dont even what to know the cost involved between fuel, equipment, dues, etc, etc... and a LOT of kids spend their childhoods doing that

My Ride
    Hondas

Anyone serious/smart about racing will trailer their car to the track. Unless you have the trunk space for a couple sets of tires, spare parts and tools. The last thing you want is a disabled car 100+km from home.

Do you really think that there are going to be a ton of people on the track with street tires?

You don't need to have a dedicated race car on slick racing tires to have fun at a track day, and yes I feel there will be plenty of cars run there on DOT approved tires.

Have an example of any other ones in Canada or the US that have a similar model?

I simply meant race tracks, not world class facilities like this place is slated to be.

Sorry for being a realist, but at the end of the day I have a feeling that there are very few Beyonders with the money and the willingness to invest in a track membership that they may use only a few times a year.

Are you that short sighted? Do you think this offer is only open to beyonders or something?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

How many people are willing to trailer their track car out to Drumheller on a weekly basis?
    Every single one of them would be my guess (funds permitting).

Hell, an interesting "series" could be formed between racing on different weekends at Badlands and Castrol. Alberta could get two chumpcar/lemons events if they wanted I reckon.

My Ride
    Hondas

Originally posted by ercchry

holy fuck, its clearly not for you! but not being able to think about this from any other view point is making you sound fucking retarded

empty on a wednesday afternoon?! REALLY!? have you ever golfed mid-week?!

your $10k is an equity investment not a sunk cost. you will recoup it plus some if you sell.

you clearly have not met any racers. i know guys who run two series every year at tracks all around north america... at $2k/weekend IF nothing breaks... if you have a passion for it, you will spend the cash. period. is there enough people like that in western canada to make it a viable business? fuck yes

what other insane things do people do with their free time? oh, i dunno. how about ski racing as an example...

my uncle had 3 kids racing, 3.5hr away... every bloody week... i dont even what to know the cost involved between fuel, equipment, dues, etc, etc... and a LOT of kids spend their childhoods doing that
    Thank you.

Probably the best thing about this place is that its far enough away that the sand falling from sputniks vagina won't affect the traction.

You need to factor in the growth too. New generations of racers will be born because of a facility like this.

My Ride
    Trucks

Ok, I was confusing Badlands with Rockyview Motorsports track. Rockyview damn well better have a drag strip, Badlands is too far for me anyway.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Anyone who thinks there's no people willing to spend money on racing in Alberta should go up to castrol for a race weekend, or strato for a bike weekend. Some of the race setups are worth more than my damn house.

$10k for a lifetime membership? some of these guys are spending nearly 50% of that every weekend of racing. And that's before you get in to some of the big muscle that Toma has posted some videos of from around town...
    Last edited by Go4Long; 03-28-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'm glad to see that on a car forum, there is actually good feedback from this. How many threads are about cars these days? I don't understand how someone couldn't be excited about this!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    is wild

Originally posted by Darell_n
    Ok, I was confusing Badlands with Rockyview Motorsports track. Rockyview damn well better have a drag strip, Badlands is too far for me anyway.
    Dont think rockyview has a hope of happening, this is likely the best chance for southern alberta. But not drag racing so you may be sol.

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    Hondas

I still think tsu tina should build a drag strip on their land.

I'd use it.

Originally posted by m10-power

Dont think rockyview has a hope of happening, this is likely the best chance for southern alberta. But not drag racing so you may be sol.
    That's what I'm hearing through the "grapevine" as well. The Rockyview group doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell. So if you're a motorsports enthusiast this is about the only hope you have.

And Sputnik I'll try not an offend anyone here, but the average beyonder is not who this facility is aimed at

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
    And Sputnik I'll try not an offend anyone here, but the average beyonder is not who this facility is aimed at
    That is basically what I am trying to say. Many have the impression that this will be a replacement for Race City.

However it is more like The Glencoe Club adding a new course after McCall Lake is closed.

This new motorsport park will be for those spending well over $10,000/year on racing above and beyond the costs associated with their cars. Not the enthusiast who builds a tuned daily driver that he takes to the drag or auto-x events on the weekends.

I am not doubting that there is a market for this. However only a select few (if any) will be coming from Beyond.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Just for you, I'll run days like i used to at RC... exactly the same way...

^^ how?
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Same way rhys and i use to... am i the only one that reads?

My Ride
    has a stick axle

10K is a steal compared to the Glencoe Club

My Ride
    something green

One would think the other activities would subsidize the cost of the racing and the cost of a track day would be cheaper than the days at Race City...
    20 dollar time attack track days at Suzuka are looking pretty appealing, even with the cost of sending my car there and flying over there to go racing.
    Too loud for Aspen

Originally posted by Maxt
    One would think the other activities would subsidize the cost of the racing and the cost of a track day would be cheaper than the days at Race City...
    Depends on how the facility is being run. If the ultimate goal of this facility is to generate revenue, then yes probably. However if the ultimate goal is for the owner of the facility to have a facility for themselves and a choice few others, then there is no guarantee the other activities will be used to subsidize the track aspect of the facility.

I still think this facility is the most viable option we have at the moment, and being optimistic is OK, just make it cautious optimism.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-16-2019 at 02:04 PM.

My Ride
    Viper baby, Ohh and an H22 CB9

Love this idea, 15 mins from home, ill head over for an evening most of the summer.

I agree that the $10,000 is a good investment, can you have fun with your 10K sitting in an rrsp? its just a savings account that you can sell off anytime.

After reading through all the FAQ's i think these guys have it figgured out and I would be willing to help them out, As a resident of Kneehill county, ill be at the meeting giving them my support.
    Love my Viper.
    Radio controlled rock crawling. www.rc-ab.com

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast