Quantcast
Lottery - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lottery

My Ride
    2008 SI

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    I wish we could hold personal online lotteries where you get like 1000 ppl to put in 20 bux for a chance to win 15k or something

or 10,000 ppl at 5 bux and win 40k or something. 100k ppl 5bux for a chance to win 250k..etc..

You could skim the top pretty hard and its still a good amount to win at decent odds. Online its easy enough to round up a lot of people quickly and payal 5 bux.
    this can work also with group play meaning we all pitch in 10$ or however much we would want and split the jackpot in the end our odds would be much more this way have like 20-40 people

My Ride
    4x4

I prefer that investors way of doing it - think it was on 20/20... wait till the jackpot gets big enough- buy every combination... but you've gotta be beyond "beyond baller" status to buy every number...lol

once upon a time i worked at a shop with a huge lottery pool - i swear they were buying 3-5k in quickpicks every week... every month they'd pay out winnings... it was awesome, paid my next months buy-in and a few cases of beer pretty much every month.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Even buying every number combo is a losing proposition, as you end up splitting the jackpot with a bunch of other chumps. There is no winning "strategy" to standard lotteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by sillysod
    Unless Baby Jesus himself came down to you and told you which numbers to use you might as just well go ahead and use a quick pick.

I do not play the lottery (okay I buy a ticket MAYBE once every year or two), but know someone that does religiously. She uses the same number every time because it is easy for her to check them.

The best is the OMG I won $1800.00!!!!! When I inform her she spends probably $50.00/week on tickets she would need to win that every 9 months and really she is losing she just doesn't get it.
    Yeah my best friends moms cousin plays religiously, and has for the last 19 years. I think she spends about $50-100 a week on it. She still has yet to win anything, and I calculated that at least, (@ $50/week) she would have spent $49k over that entire time on lottery tickets. At most (with the $100 weeks), it would have worked out to $98,000 over those 19 years.

I dont know about you guys, but I can buy a decent car for $98k. Yet what does she have to show for it? Nothing other then a HUGE pile of worthless paper that is useless.
    Bravo! Way to use your fricking head.

But you know, thats all okay since next few months she's going to win big isn't she? Sometimes simple logic doesn't even work with people. Its like.... fuck..
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    I dont know about you guys, but I can buy a decent car for $98k. Yet what does she have to show for it? Nothing other then a HUGE pile of worthless paper that is useless.
    Bravo! Way to use your fricking head.

But you know, thats all okay since next few months she's going to win big isn't she? Sometimes simple logic doesn't even work with people. Its like.... fuck..
    The same could be said for hookers, beer, dining out, movies, vacations, even cars or racing motorcycles. After they've depreciated to nothing, what do you have? Some worthless paper and a bunch of memories.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by codetrap
    The same could be said for hookers, beer, dining out, movies, vacations, even cars or racing motorcycles. After they've depreciated to nothing, what do you have? Some worthless paper and a bunch of memories.
    Memories are better than a old lottery ticket though. I've never heard anyone want to talk about their ticket from years ago that didn't have a single winning number
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    del Sol

Originally posted by sillysod
    Unless Baby Jesus himself came down to you and told you which numbers to use you might as just well go ahead and use a quick pick.

I do not play the lottery (okay I buy a ticket MAYBE once every year or two), but know someone that does religiously. She uses the same number every time because it is easy for her to check them.

The best is the OMG I won $1800.00!!!!! When I inform her she spends probably $50.00/week on tickets she would need to win that every 9 months and really she is losing she just doesn't get it.

Ya, no exaggeration on the "$50 a week"

Lol

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Since we're talking about sensible spending... Record high pot for Lotto 6/49 tomorrow (55+ mill).

I'd be interested in starting a pool for just tomorrow's draw (max 25 people).
    $50 per person, ends up with 625 lines ($1250.00).

I'll be the trustee, you'd just interac e-mail me the $50 and I'll add your name to the list. Deadline is tomorrow so not sure how plausible this plan is haha! Might make a new thread of there is enough interest.

Your trust to me is just based on this forum or if you know me. I would scan all 625 lines for you and no you will not be screwed. Monies won will be distributed accordingly. If it's not a lot of money, it will get redistributed into more tickets along with the free tickets.

Impulsive Beyond Ballers, where are you? :P
    Last edited by Disoblige; 04-12-2013 at 10:43 AM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    My wife used to buy the same set of numbers twice for one draw. She claimed when she wins, she gets a bigger piece of a shared pot. I was not certain if this was confidence or self-delusion as she is in general fairly lucky in games of chance.
    This is just plain silly.

She's right to a certain degree: If she were to win with this numbers and 1 other person won with the same numbers, she'd get 2/3 of the pot instead of half.... thereby increasing her winnings from 50% to 66.6%.

That isn't really a big increase though, when you consider she's paying double on her ticket to get that small increase. Also, if nobody else picks the same numbers (which is more common than not) she gets no extra amount since she's just competing with herself. That makes no sense.

If she decided to play a whole different set of numbers, she's doubling her chance of winning instead. To me, that is a much better investment.

Sorry man, I mean no offense, but your wife is a flake.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Memories are better than a old lottery ticket though. I've never heard anyone want to talk about their ticket from years ago that didn't have a single winning number
    I don't disagree. However, it's her chosen form of entertainment. I would put a losing lottery ticket memory on par with having to go see a Twilight movie with my wife. I remember it, but I generally don't talk about it.

Now, that one time I did win $100, that was great! The victory feeling was much more on par with the first time I saw Star Wars. Of course, there was the one time that we had 5/6 numbers that were -1 of the draw numbers. I remember that pretty clearly, because I was amazed at how close, yet so far away we were.

I admit I buy the occasional ticket. Why? Because I like to daydream that my ticket is the big winner. I know intellectually that it's not going to win, but the entertainment value I get from planning all the stuff I'd do, like pay off my family/friends debts, setting up my nephews/nieces/friends kids education funds (that they don't know about), having a big party with all my real friends, perhaps somewhere tropical. There's a couple of former family members I'd consider putting a hit out on. I also have a good idea who my fair-weather friends are. Those are the ones I'd just ignore completely.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    oooo

Originally posted by CD007

Ya, no exaggeration on the "$50 a week"

Lol
    She buys ticket packs for both weekly 649 draws and the Lotto Max.

I didn't factor in her scratch tickets. lol.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Can anyone that knows me personally vouch for "Disoblige"?

I would be in on the $50 pool.
    Signature..... I ate it!!

Originally posted by codetrap
    I admit I buy the occasional ticket. Why? Because I like to daydream that my ticket is the big winner. I know intellectually that it's not going to win, but the entertainment value I get from planning all the stuff I'd do

I play the lottery with some guys at work when we meet up for breakfast every Friday morning before work.

We each bring a ticket, sign each others tickets and wax hypothetical about how this is our last day at work. For us it isn't much different than a cover charge at a bar, a lottery ticket is basically the cover charge to sit at the breakfast table with us.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-16-2019 at 02:25 PM.

My Ride
    ST205

To get back to the original question, I believe picking between 9 number block vs 84 quick pick are similar in the sense you are still picking a string of numbers that have the same chance to win the jackpot. But there are more prize money to be had if you had indeed picked the correct numbers and all the numbers around it.

Let’s say you picked 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 for simple argument sake. Your 6 numbers combination will be 123456, 123457, 123458, 123459 etc. The winning combination is 134567. You would have won the lottery’s jackpot. But you have also won the secondary prizes because you also bought a number of tickets with 5 of 6 winning numbers ie 123456, 234567, 124567, 123567 etc…
    So in that sense. If you truly believe you have picked 9 numbers that could potentially win, it would pay out more.

But I think if you working it out mathematically, your chance of winning and expected reward will still be the same because if you had purchase 84 quick picks you would have chosen a larger set of numbers. Whereas in the above scenario, you would have zero chance of winning, if the winning number was 10, 11, 12 ,13, 14, 15.

My Ride

Originally posted by quick_scar
    Can anyone that knows me personally vouch for "Disoblige"?

I would be in on the $50 pool.
    Haha, what I meant to say was YOUR trust since I would be the one with your $50

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Originally posted by Disoblige

Haha, what I meant to say was YOUR trust since I would be the one with your $50
    And if someone that knows me can vouch that you are a stand up honest person, I would trust you with $50. Its no different then a group buy really. You are trusting someone with your money, in order to get something back at the end.
    Signature..... I ate it!!

My Ride

Yep I completely understand that.
    Link to pool is here:
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/368723/lo...-at-25-people/

I'm not here to scam anyone by the way. I love Beyond too much to even think about messing around.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

+1. Disoblige is legit.

(Or, at least, has been long enough to see what we do to people on here who fuck other members!)

The question is can he be trusted with the $55 mill that we will win tmr?

I dunno anyone on these forums and have entrusted him lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast