Quantcast
CRTC’s new wireless code spells end of three-year contracts - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CRTC’s new wireless code spells end of three-year contracts

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Default CRTC’s new wireless code spells end of three-year contracts

No more $0 smartphones!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle12305333/

The federal telecom regulator is introducing mandatory new rules that will allow Canadians to cancel their cellphone contracts after two years, without incurring any cancellation fees, even if they have agreed to a longer term.

That surprise move, which is aimed at making it easier for consumers to benefit from pricing competition, was the highlight of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission’s new wireless code – the final provisions of which were released on Monday.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

The same retarded people who complained before will still do it. Because now they will have to pay off a $700 phone over 2 years and not 3. Then they will complain when they overuse their data and get cut off since no company is going to provide it for free, same with roaming. If people cancel and still owe money on their phone, they will still have to pay it off.

And the contracts are not hard to read and understand. It's not the fault of the provider if you are either too lazy to read two pages or too dumb to comprehend what you just read.

These two are already done, nothing new. They can still charge to unlock the phone.

-have their cellphones unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if they paid for the device in full

-return their cellphones, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if they are unhappy with their service

If anything, rates will go up since there is going to be a bunch more overhead created.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I don't care for the end of 3 year contracts because people are stupid to enter them in the first place if they are complaining about cancellation fees. I wish they kept 3 year contracts.

But this is pretty cool:

Consumers will also have the right to have their smartphones “unlocked” after 90 days, which will assist them in switching carriers since locked devices only work on a particular company’s network. Consumers who pay full price for their cellphones can demand immediate unlocking of their devices, the CRTC said.

Canadians will also be also to return their devices within 15 days (if they respect certain usage limits) if they suffer from buyer’s remorse or are unsatisfied with their carrier.
    But wonder if there is a charge to get it unlocked by the provider..

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

That's so messed up.

You have the option to choose none, one, two or three year contracts for cell phones. You sign the contract, the contract is binding and you agree to the fees.

I don't understand the reason the threat of legal sanctions needs to be introduced to a freely made contract.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Modelexis
    That's so messed up.

You have the option to choose none, one, two or three year contracts for cell phones. You sign the contract, the contract is binding and you agree to the fees.

I don't understand the reason the threat of legal sanctions needs to be introduced to a freely made contract.
    Jesus. We agree 100% on something.

All it is in government trying to, and succeeding in, barging in on a place it has no business being in. If they are so "pro-consumer", why not ban car loans that are longer than 4 years or finance rates above 3%?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

The answer is because cellphones (and cable and internet) is one big monopoly in Canada and the government is trying to do something about it. Whether they are doing it properly is a different story.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Maybe if we complain enough, we will eventually get everything for free from the government

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    The answer is because cellphones (and cable and internet) is one big monopoly in Canada and the government is trying to do something about it. Whether they are doing it properly is a different story.
    It's worth mentioning that the government is responsible for the degree to which we have a monopoly in these industries. So to ask for help from the very entity that gave birth to and facilitates the monopoly they are trying to rein in seems kinda funny.

The federal Minister of Industry is the approving authority for the development and
    operation of radiocommunication in Canada, including cell towers and other
    telecommunication antenna structures, pursuant to the
    Radiocommunication Act.
    Industry Canada is tasked with, among other things, administering the orderly development and operation of these
    telecommunication antenna structures
    Last edited by Modelexis; 06-03-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

That's so messed up.

Are you sure about that?

I don't see an option for a 2 year agreement for an iPhone 5 with any of the carriers.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Disoblige

But wonder if there is a charge to get it unlocked by the provider..
    Of course there is.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by benyl
    I don't see an option for a 2 year agreement for an iPhone 5 with any of the carriers.
    Neither is S4 or any hot new phones.

And if it's Fido, they won't even let you choose 3 year of cheap plans, it has to be 3 year of top tier plans.

In absence of contracts, all carrier will probably switched to tab model which is a good thing. Pay off your tab and start a new tab on a new phone. So plans may get a bit more competitive.

Not sure if it's related, this move is probably a good sign for Telus acquisition of Mobilicity which means prices will now trend back up.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    The term is oligopoly.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by benyl
    Are you sure about that?

lol

Pls government save me, iphone 4 sux and i n33d the 5, but telus is screwing me and they aren't playing fair!

Supply and demand bitch, buy the phone separate.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 06-03-2013 at 04:16 PM.

My Ride
    TDi

I'm so happy I don't work in this industry anymore. No more 3 year = $$$ price for phones on a 1/2 year. Good luck trying to sell a warranty with a $450 iPhone on a 2 year contract. Hell, try selling just the iPhone without any accessories and warranty. I feel bad for Marlborough mall cell phone stores lol

Time for a career change cellular sales people!
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    G6

Pls government save me, iphone 4 sux and i n33d the 5, but telus is screwing me and they aren't playing fair!

Supply and demand bitch, buy the phone separate.
    When the government practically encourages every telecommunications company in Canada to collude, supply and demand goes out the window and price fixing comes in.

Unfortunately, this change by the CRTC makes no difference. More government rules are almost never the answer. Only thing that will encourage competition is allowing non-Canadian companies to come in.

So does this mean they will unlock my phone even if I haven't "paid it off" yet? Hopefully so. I've never quite understood why they do this... Even if I was using my phone on another carrier I would still be paying them every month for 3 years so what difference does it make to them?

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by Feruk
    When the government practically encourages every telecommunications company in Canada to collude, supply and demand goes out the window and price fixing comes in.
    By supply and demand I was speaking to the fact that people want the 5 so bad they are willing to enter a longer contract to get it. This would be demand, since if the demand was low for 5 and high for 4 everyone would just get the 4 with a 2 year contract and middle finger to the 5.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Good stuff. Most of the carriers have been making some changes already for the better. I know with Rogers you can now upgrade anytime and only have to pay the remainder of your hardware subsidy which is how it should be. I don't see how the carriers can justify charging more for two years, if you cancel at two years you still have to pay the balance of the hardware subsidy regardless. But its better than paying per month for the months left on your contract. The agreement is for the hardware subsidy nothing more nothing less. Thats the key difference.

And to you apologists, the hardware charges on two year contracts (if even available) were completely ridiculous.. $99 on a 3 year but $500 on a 2 year? Come the fuck on.

I don't get how anyone can be against positive changes in our wireless industry. So much "DERP dont sign a contract crap here.." There is alot more to it than that.
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 06-03-2013 at 06:53 PM.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

Originally posted by ZEDGE
    Good stuff. Most of the carriers have been making some changes already for the better. I know with Rogers you can now upgrade anytime and only have to pay the remainder of your hardware subsidy which is how it should be. I don't see how the carriers can justify charging more for two years, if you cancel at two years you still have to pay the balance of the hardware subsidy regardless. But its better than paying per month for the months left on your contract. The agreement is for the hardware subsidy nothing more nothing less. Thats the key difference.

And to you apologists, the hardware charges on two year contracts (if even available) were completely ridiculous.. $99 on a 3 year but $500 on a 2 year? Come the fuck on.

I don't get how anyone can be against positive changes in our wireless industry. So much "DERP dont sign a contract crap here.." There is alot more to it than that.
    Yep. +1

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

And btw, I liked the 3 year contracts. I get a bitchin' phone for FREE, as long as I maintain my service with the company I got it from.

I also don't find $100/month cell phone bill unreasonable, as I truly get unlimited everything in Canada (minus data, I only get 6gb's). That is a very small price to pay for instant phone/internet access anywhere across the country.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast