Quantcast
Suggest a camera for me please - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a camera for me please

Default Suggest a camera for me please

So I think it's finally time I bought myself a camera... I haven't bought one in ages and don't really know what to look for, so hoping you experts can suggest a model for me. I don't think I want to get into an SLR, so would be interested in the higher end of point n shoots.

- Budget is around 350, but I can go up to 450 if it's good value
    - decent optical zoom?
    - is waterproof a "thing" that people care about?
    - compact/slim size would be good so I can keep it in my pocket when I go to festivals and stuff, but not sure if that would kill any chance of good zoom
    - not sure what else I should be looking for...

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by sabad66; 04-07-2013 at 03:13 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Personally I think too many people care about optical zoom and megapixels when they should be concerned about aperture and ISO performance.

You can get ready-to-go waterproof cameras but the optics are not nearly as good as something without. You can always buy a waterproof case which gets you way deeper in the water anyways if that is why you want a waterproof device.

Look into micro 4/3 or mirrorless, plenty of info on those around here. Unless you need to be able to zoom in on stuff, these monstrous zoom figures are not needed and actually deteriorate image quality because they have to accommodate for it.
    Last edited by msommers; 04-07-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Find a deal on a mirrorless ILC camera such as the Panasonic G series, Nikon V series, Olympus PEN series or Sony NEX series. With some of the deals that seem to pop up quite regularly, they are even cheaper than a crappy P&S and about a million times better. These are $600-1000 cameras/kits that go for up to %50-60++ off.

For your underwater needs, just buy a cheap waterproof P&S (Fuji, Panasonic TS3/TS4, etc.), or pick up an underwater housing for whatever camera you end up with.

If a huge zoom is really important to you though, you are going to have to sacrifice pretty well everything else (speed, image quality, AF, etc.) and buy a superzoom P&S.

I suppose zoom isn't really important now that you guys mention it, and definitely don't care too much about under water capability for now. Size is a big one though... Ideally want it to fit in my pocket.

A friend of mine recommended the Sony rx100, but I will also take a look at the ones you listed. Thanks.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I recommended the RX100 to a friend, and they loved it. Almost double your budget though.

Not many mirrorless combinations fit in your pocket comfortably, but some do (as long as we're talking about jacket pockets).

Wow didn't realize the Rx100 is $700... guess you gotta pay to play.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Fuji XF1? Seems like a good price too with $80 off:
    https://www.thecamerastore.com/mainp...ji-finepix-xf1

Originally posted by sabad66
    Wow didn't realize the Rx100 is $700... guess you gotta pay to play.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Fuji XF1? Seems like a good price too with $80 off:
    https://www.thecamerastore.com/mainp...ji-finepix-xf1
    Nice little P&S, but it's just that, a P&S. AF, speed, sensor size, etc. are all sub-par compared to the mirrorless ILC cameras, and you can usually get a MILC camera for much cheaper. These days I would never pay anywhere near $400 for something like that when you can go buy a Panasonic GF3 + lens for $265 when they have sales.

If you want one though, it's even cheaper here:

http://www.adencamera.com/product-ov...199&Category=1

Sony RX100 would be about the only "P&S" I would buy, but even that gives up a lot to most MILC's beyond the sensor.

The recent trend of disgustingly cheap MILC cameras has completely changed the way I feel about P&S cameras. I wouldn't even consider a P&S unless I had a very specific need for one.

My Ride
    TSX

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you where I'm looking for a new camera but I already know what I'm getting. I also did not want a DSLR or mirrorless camera as I would like something that's pocketable. I also go to music festivals and those aren't allowed.

I'm waiting for this one to be released at the end of this month. It's Canon's first camera to have their DIGIC 6 image processor and sounds awesome!! It will have good low light capability, 20x optical zoom, 60fps 1080p video, full manual control and will be in the $350 range. Previous version it's replacing had very good reviews.

Canon Powershot SX280 HS

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Looking at that Canon...

Maximum Aperture
    f/3.5 (W) - f/6.8 (T)

I hope it's low-light is as good as you hope.

Personally I'd say if you're against SLR and M4/3 with that budget, a Canon S90 or equiv. is the way to go.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Canon S90/S95/S100/S105/S110 or a Panasonic LX3/5/7 would be a much better choice unless you need a 20x zoom.

The f2 lens in the S110 lets in almost 4 times as much light as a 3.5 lens.

The LX-7's 1.4 lens lets in 8 times the light as that SX280 does.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Talk of M4/3 here, JSN got his M4/3 for his trip...fuck I'm thinking these are amazing travel devices instead of hauling the SLR around! Another buddy was saying about bringing a M4/3 to Africa since the crop factor is 2x and 100-300mm lenses are available lol. Wonder how something like the NEX 7 compares to DX cameras...I better stop myself now before it gets out of hand Thought this was a fun read though.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/0...-olympus-e-m5/

Anyways back to the thread...

Speed_69, when you're grabbing pics of stuff, where are you and what are you capturing? Trying to figure out your preferred area of shooting and go from there. But the cameras Blitz all mentioned are great because of their aperture. Low light performance can be relatively good compared to other P&S cameras but it's pretty laughable compared to M4/3 and SLRs. This is where aperture helps immensley because the camera sensor doesn't have to "work" as hard to get the proper exposure. You're also able to get a faster shutter which helps freeze action and decreases blur.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    STi

Originally posted by msommers
    Talk of M4/3 here, JSN got his M4/3 for his trip...fuck I'm thinking these are amazing travel devices instead of hauling the SLR around! Another buddy was saying about bringing a M4/3 to Africa since the crop factor is 2x and 100-300mm lenses are available lol. Wonder how something like the NEX 7 compares to DX cameras...I better stop myself now before it gets out of hand Thought this was a fun read though.
    Yea I just picked up the Panasonic GX1, mainly from your recommendations on the 4/3 cameras. I was actually really tempted to get the gf3 instead because that thing is absolutely tiny. The GX1 had more options that I wanted though so I ended up with that one. OP I know you said you want one that's pocketable, but TBH I'd say the GF3 is nearly pocket-able. I plan on finding a case that I can attach to a belt or something for mine because the gx1 is slightly larger.

Memx has a decent deal on one right now. 400 for the gf3 plus the 14-42mm power zoom lense that compacts down to the size of the 14mm prime lense. Maybe go check it out and see if it's manageable for you. Fits within your budget too.

My Ride
    rally pig

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/0...-olympus-e-m5/

any smaller cameras than the DSLR will be better for travel, hence why I decided to go with the X100s, it's with me all the time.. I don't even remember the last time I used the 5DII lol
    Wildlife/tele photography, IMO that's where SLR wins and one of the reasons why I'm still holding onto my 5DII, 100-400L and 135L.

don't you have a P&S already? IMO just carry that one with you all the time for snapshots and leave your D800 only for serious shots and at the safari

but also it depends on what type of traveller are you.
    jsn, speed_69 IMO are the type of people that just wants to be able to take some good pictures while travelling. any small inexpensive cameras will be sufficient enough for them.

then there are those like us that hangs on the photographer section all the time and one of our main purpose to travel is to go take pictures.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by jsn
    Memx has a decent deal on one right now. 400 for the gf3 plus the 14-42mm power zoom lense that compacts down to the size of the 14mm prime lense. Maybe go check it out and see if it's manageable for you. Fits within your budget too.
    I can easily fit the GF3 + 14mm combo in my jacket but it definitely won't fit in my pants. But then again, not many cams will. The quality and speed trade off though of an m4/3 kit vs. a P&S is waaaaaaay more than worth it. The GF3 + 14mm for $267 shipped to my door was truly a bargain and a half.

This is such a capable camera with awesome high ISO, touch screen with touch shutter, full manual controls, 1080 video, and ability to bounce the flash. Not only that but m4/3 is the most mature of the mirrorless variety and the lens selection is second to none. Just about every lens they make, especially the fast/compact primes like the 20mm f/1.7, are absolutely tack sharp wide open. Just waiting now on Panny to release the 42.5mm f/1.2!
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by taemo

Wildlife/tele photography, IMO that's where SLR wins and one of the reasons why I'm still holding onto my 5DII, 100-400L and 135L.
    That's what I kind of thought too but the price and size of a gx1 + 100-300 combo seemed pretty darn impressive.

The p&s I have is a canon sd400 which is pretty OK in all regards.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Matt you should look at the Nikon 1 series with the F mount adapter. 400mm x 2.7 crop and you're looking at 1080mm f5.6

Could be a good backup option for Safari, and they're dirt cheap now.

My Ride
    rally pig

^ lots of inexpensive V1 on the used market

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That is insane reach haha
    Ultracrepidarian

That is insane reach haha
    Plus you get PDAF, 10 FPS RAW with AF between frames, and VR works with the FT-1 adapter.

The V1 + FT-1 is my new alternative to super expensive tele's haha. The FT-1 is $200 and V1's are cheap.

Originally posted by Speed_69
    I'm pretty much in the same situation as you where I'm looking for a new camera but I already know what I'm getting. I also did not want a DSLR or mirrorless camera as I would like something that's pocketable. I also go to music festivals and those aren't allowed.

I'm waiting for this one to be released at the end of this month. It's Canon's first camera to have their DIGIC 6 image processor and sounds awesome!! It will have good low light capability, 20x optical zoom, 60fps 1080p video, full manual control and will be in the $350 range. Previous version it's replacing had very good reviews.

Canon Powershot SX280 HS
    It uses a 1/2.3" sensor which means it will unfortunately not have good low light capability, or image quality in general. Perhaps better than some other 1/2.3" cameras but not in the grand scheme of things. Pretty well every camera with those tiny sensors is roughly the same. The Digic 6 doesn't mean much in a little P&S like that - it will just smear out the detail above probably ISO 160 and onward to make it appear like it has better ISO performance.

Also I see MSRP is $329, which is quite a bit more money than lots of the MILC kits come up for. If you want something truly pocketable still, without sacrificing as much image quality, try get something with at least a 1/1.7", 2/3", or 1" sensor. You will lose your 20X zoom though - those tiny sensors are how they get crazy zooms into P&S cameras.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-09-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast