Quantcast
Room mate moved out and caused damages to property - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Room mate moved out and caused damages to property

My Ride
    E46 M3 Turbo, JZS161, UCF30, BP9, S30

Default Room mate moved out and caused damages to property

Hey Guys,

I just had a room mate move out of my basement, who left some damage behind. There are punctures and gashes on my drywall going up the stairs and damage to the ceilings as well from him moving his bed out and forcing stuff up. There are also stains on the carpet, and he didn't even bother to clean anything before he left. Bathroom is in a mess, carpets are filthy, and there are handprints on the walls.

I've had 2 previous room mates in the past 3 years, and this guy has caused more damages in his 3 month stay than anyone has in the past 3 years! I understand the place will get normal wear and tear, but this is definitely not normal wear and tear.

Can anyone recommend me business that does carpet steam cleaning for a reasonable cost, and also someone that does drywall and ceiling repair?

He's trying to fight me for his damage deposit back, but I figured it would be best to hold the full amount until I get a quote for this stuff. I just need to get it sorted as soon as possible.

If anyone has any advice on the best way to handle this situation, it would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks Beyond!
    Haltech Factory Trained and Elite Certified / AEM EMS and Infinity Factory Trained Tuner / ECUTek Factory Trained Tuner for FRS-BRZ and R35 GTR / HKS Pro Tuner / Apexi Power Exel Certified Tuner

Proud to be a "hater" that defends Authenticity

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

For cleaning, can A790 help? He runs Neatfreak but I'm not sure if they do carpet cleaning, PM him.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Thats what damage deposits are for! Fixing damage!

Dont know of anybody, but maybe give him the option of fixing it himself if he wants his DD back. When my wife and I left our rental place, when we bought our house, we rug doctored the entire place, and i fixed every single pin hole in the drywall with plaster. Dont know how deep the gashes are, but should be able to fill, no?

My Ride

For cleaning, can A790 help? He runs Neatfreak but I'm not sure if they do carpet cleaning, PM him.
    Yep i sent him a PM, thanks!

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    Thats what damage deposits are for! Fixing damage!

Dont know of anybody, but maybe give him the option of fixing it himself if he wants his DD back. When my wife and I left our rental place, when we bought our house, we rug doctored the entire place, and i fixed every single pin hole in the drywall with plaster. Dont know how deep the gashes are, but should be able to fill, no?
    I did that as well, but the problem is, it'll be delayed even longer, and if he does a shit job then i'm in the same position. I'd rather just get it done and have the ability to rent the room out to 1 of the 10 people waiting for the place to be ready.

The gashes just need to be filled, sanded and painted. I don't think it will require cutting and patching a piece in.
    Haltech Factory Trained and Elite Certified / AEM EMS and Infinity Factory Trained Tuner / ECUTek Factory Trained Tuner for FRS-BRZ and R35 GTR / HKS Pro Tuner / Apexi Power Exel Certified Tuner

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

He does. He got my area rug amazingly clean, the pictures don't do it justice.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Re: Room mate moved out and caused damages to property

Originally posted by JZS_147
    Hey Guys,

I just had a room mate move out of my basement, who left some damage behind. There are punctures and gashes on my drywall going up the stairs and damage to the ceilings as well from him moving his bed out and forcing stuff up. There are also stains on the carpet, and he didn't even bother to clean anything before he left. Bathroom is in a mess, carpets are filthy, and there are handprints on the walls.

I've had 2 previous room mates in the past 3 years, and this guy has caused more damages in his 3 month stay than anyone has in the past 3 years! I understand the place will get normal wear and tear, but this is definitely not normal wear and tear.

Can anyone recommend me business that does carpet steam cleaning for a reasonable cost, and also someone that does drywall and ceiling repair?

He's trying to fight me for his damage deposit back, but I figured it would be best to hold the full amount until I get a quote for this stuff. I just need to get it sorted as soon as possible.

If anyone has any advice on the best way to handle this situation, it would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks Beyond!
    I'll quote you up on carpet cleaning tomorrow. Since you're in Douglasdale I'll swing by tomorrow evening perhaps (if you're available) to have a look. I live in McKenzie Lake so it's not big deal for me to pop by

Thanks for the recommendation! We absolutely do carpet cleaning (and we kick ass at it, too!).

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

He does. He got my area rug amazingly clean, the pictures don't do it justice.
    Thanks boss, glad you enjoyed the result. That rug was a mother to clean lol

My Ride

Any recommendations for drywall repair?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

No advice on who to use for cleaning/repairs but you do have a very short period of time (might be 5 days?) to give them a statement of how much of their damage deposit will be returned. Also do you have a move in/out inspection report?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

^ Final statement is to be supplied within 30 days. But there is a good chance that the OP's room mate is not even covered by the Tenancy Act.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by FraserB
    ^ Final statement is to be supplied within 30 days. But there is a good chance that the OP's room mate is not even covered by the Tenancy Act.
    Good call... forgot roommates are different.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Any recommendations for drywall repair?
    just tell him he isnt getting shit back. there is no act protecting him since you are "the landlord" in this case and he lived with you.

for repair... next time im over i'll fix it

In the past, I have had landlords who wrote into the rental agreement that all repairs including carpet cleaning would be done by a professional (landlords choice) after the tenant has vacated the property. This is smart in my opinion for everyone involved and eliminated the brutal (time/money/sweat) work of carpet cleaning and has the tenant being far more careful in not damaging the walls in the move.

Also, a new tenant has the knowledge the place was cleaned professionally and not by some inexperienced guy seeking his deposit by lightly going over it all cosmetically.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 07-05-2013 at 09:21 AM.

A790 For Sure! Doooooo it....

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    In the past, I have had landlords who wrote into the rental agreement that all repairs including carpet cleaning would be done by a professional (landlords choice) after the tenant has vacated the property. This is smart in my opinion for everyone involved and eliminated the brutal (time/money/sweat) work of carpet cleaning and has the tenant being far more careful in not damaging the walls in the move.

Also, a new tenant has the knowledge the place was cleaned professionally and not by some inexperienced guy seeking his deposit by lightly going over it all cosmetically.
    Yeah I've seen this a few times as well. As a renter it sucks, but it totally makes sense.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    93 Prelude, 02 WRX

Last place I rented, it stated in the lease that we had to get the carpets cleaned when moving out, and provide the receipt as documentation.

Wasn't a problem, and the landlords and new tenants had peace of mind in regards to our pets and such. Would have been better if they waited until the carpets were dry to move in, but the landlords gave the ok to the next renters to move in 3 days early.

Blows my mind that someone would leave a place beat up after only 3 months, and actually expect to get their deposit back.

Of course I was rather impressed with my last landlords down in Colorado, we had lived in the house for three years, with a wide array of pets and roomates, and we got all but $200 back of our deposit, I expected it all to be gone.

The security deposit is considered “delivered” to a tenant on either the date it is handed to the tenant, or his agent, or the date of the postmark. The security deposit refund and statement of account, if there are any deductions, must be delivered or postmarked within 10 days of the day the tenant gave up possession of the residential premises.

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/...Y_DEPOSIT_.pdf

That being said, if you had more of a roommate situation, the rules may not necessarily apply in the same way.

My Ride

Thanks for all the advice guys. Cam (A790) cleaned the carpets today and did a phenomenal job. I highly recommend his services!

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Cam (A790) cleaned the carpets today and did a phenomenal job. I highly recommend his services!
    lol as good a job as I can do at 9 am on a Saturday morning.

I kid... I kid...

Here are some before/afters:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Unfortunately a couple of those stains didn't want to let go, but otherwise the carpet looks great!

More information on our carpet cleaning services here: http://www.fightinggrime.com/services/carpet-cleaning/