Quantcast
High speed chase in Edmonton up to 254km/h - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High speed chase in Edmonton up to 254km/h

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default High speed chase in Edmonton up to 254km/h

http://globalnews.ca/news/714514/man...onton-freeway/

“Anytime you’re going 20 kilometres over increases the risk of having a collision and having it be fatal,” said EPS spokesperson Leila Daoud. “50 kilometres over, we know that there’s almost an 80 per cent chance that it will be fatal. Going, in a 100 kilometre zone, going 154 kilometres over the limit – we’re talking about, I mean, it could’ve been a catastrophe, really. We’re very lucky that people weren’t injured, that families weren’t involved in this.”
    Does the EPS just pull stats out of their ass? Also, does a Malibu go 254?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Horse

254 kmph is almost 160 miles per hour so I don't think so. Unless they stole the Malibu from Drive.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8

LS swapped Malibu, the ultimate sleeper.

Apparently the new ones can but it would probably be pretty sketchy at that speed - who would've ever thought a Malibu capable of that speed.

Motor Trend test - link.
    Will fuck off, again.

This is most of the problem with the quote:
    Leila

bet she is under 30.
    ----------------------------------

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Re: High speed chase in Edmonton up to 254km/h

Originally posted by rage2
    Also, does a Malibu go 254?
    I've gone a GPS verified 210km/h in a Volvo turbo wagon, and 165km/h in a (turbocharged) Firefly (safe controlled course). I have no doubt a newer malibu, or even a supercharged one can.

Considering any truck I've driven since 1994 can rapidly hit the 160km/h limiter, I don't really doubt it. 254km/h is only what, 150mph? Cars have easily been doing that since the 60's.

Default Re: Re: High speed chase in Edmonton up to 254km/h

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I've gone a GPS verified 210km/h in a Volvo turbo wagon, and 165km/h in a (turbocharged) Firefly (safe controlled course). I have no doubt a newer malibu, or even a supercharged one can.

Considering any truck I've driven since 1994 can rapidly hit the 160km/h limiter, I don't really doubt it. 254km/h is only what, 150mph? Cars have easily been doing that since the 60's.
    Easily? Huh. I had a 1970 Challenger, 383 Magnum, double pumper, high-rise manifold, .273 gears, torqueflight tranny with slapstick shifter....The best I could do was 130 flat out, if the wind was right. At that speed she started to "float".

Getting another 20mph's was impossible.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

I cannot imagine how iffy a Malibu would be at that speed. Likely why they crashed.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Re: High speed chase in Edmonton up to 254km/h

At that high of speeds, aerodynamics start to have a very large impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    I cannot imagine how iffy a Malibu would be at that speed. Likely why they crashed.
    Highly doubt they crashed at anywhere near top speed. There's a lot of exaggeration from the EPS side.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Has AWD

ive driven the 2014 malibu, it can and will go 150km/h and sketchy? not so much, pretty well balanced daily driver imho, nicer interior and comfortable ride while not being too soft, id rent one lol

Originally posted by MGCM
    ive driven the 2014 malibu, it can and will go 150km/h and sketchy? not so much, pretty well balanced daily driver imho, nicer interior and comfortable ride while not being too soft, id rent one lol
    150Kmh?? The story reports it doing 254 kmh.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Re: Re: Re: High speed chase in Edmonton up to 254km/h

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Easily? Huh. I had a 1970 Challenger, 383 Magnum, double pumper, high-rise manifold, .273 gears, torqueflight tranny with slapstick shifter....The best I could do was 130 flat out, if the wind was right. At that speed she started to "float".

Getting another 20mph's was impossible.
    Well, uh, yea, the 383 was never really a performer, even with work done to it. Considering you didn't change the heads, it was probably making 250hp SAE on a good day if it was jetted right and it was pushing something with the aerodynamics of a house through the air.

Also, 130mph is what, 205km/h?

As somebody said, aerodynamics plays a big part. And by easily, I meant anything with some sort of aero work (think the corvette, IIRC from my history of corvette books, they were able to hit 150mph by the late 50's/early 60's).

Don't hate. I'm just saying, GPS was used. I don't know how accurate GPS is for speed measurement. The only reason I doubt the claim is because the car SHOULD have a speed limiter on it.

Originally posted by MGCM
    150km/h - hell, there's probably guys on beyond who've tried to do that downhill on their road bikes (bicycles).

Now if you're talking 150mph, then that's another story.
    Will fuck off, again.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I wouldn't be too surprised. With my new Regal, it can do 155mph/ 260kph, and easily too. Its just that its governed at that, and wont go faster. Getting up to that isn't hard.
    Here is the vid of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YteRs5rdnEk

The Malibu is a fair bit different of a car, but still.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: High speed chase in Edmonton up to 254km/h

Well, uh, yea, the 383 was never really a performer, even with work done to it. Considering you didn't change the heads, it was probably making 250hp SAE on a good day if it was jetted right and it was pushing something with the aerodynamics of a house through the air.
    ROFL.....well, I never claimed mine was the fastest on the block. Got beat by a few 440-six packs, and a B&BP 69 Camaro....

But you just said "Cars have easily been doing that since the 60's." implying cars in general did that easily.

The 1970 Challenger came out stock at 335 HP. Adding the highrise and double-pumper brought that even higher. There were few muscle cars that beat me, but not many. I could still do a 1/4 in the 13's with .273's....

And I still couldn't touch the 154+ mph mark.

As for pushing a "house through air"...

Yeah, definitely the Challenger was a "house"... compared to the sleek aerodynamics of a Malibu...

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Of course, you're the car guy...I wouldn't know.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Highly doubt they crashed at anywhere near top speed. There's a lot of exaggeration from the EPS side.
    Anyways is. I'm surprised they did not say that once the car went 40 over all nuns within a 3 km radius exploded and a dozen kittens died.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: High speed chase in Edmonton up to 254km/h

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Adding the highrise and double-pumper
    Did virtually nothing. The 383 wasn't that great of a motor, and it was rated for 335hp back in the day when Ouija boards were used to determine horsepower on engine dynos with no accessories and open headers. In fact, a better carb and intake should have been virtually negligible gains (they would have complimented a cam though).

Seriously, I've been in a lot of 383 Dodges. Your rose colored lenses on "back in the day" is great and all, but yea... I'd be saying the same thing about LS6 Chevelle's, hemi chargers, etc etc as I've been in a few. They actually AREN'T that impressive in stock trim from back in the day. Head technology has come a long way to make up for the decreasing displacement typical modern motors have. And yea, your challenger has the aero of a brick.

I'm not picking a fight with you, but for reals y0, chill.

And I'm the car guy? Why thank you, I'm touched from the compliment

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The EPS never said they crashed at top speed. It crashed on a rural road away from Henday where the top speed was allegedly set (not sure if that speed was clocked or estimated).

Regardless, a couple of useless crackheads are in cells for 24 hours (before they are released) for stealing the vehicle. Maybe the owner wont leave their keys in the vehicle next time?? (my understanding is that you cant steal of these without the chipped "pass key" .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast