Quantcast
Police fire at stolen van during wild chase in wrong direction on Deerfoot Trail - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Police fire at stolen van during wild chase in wrong direction on Deerfoot Trail

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Police fire at stolen van during wild chase in wrong direction on Deerfoot Trail

The driver of a stolen vehicle fled down the wrong side of Deerfoot Trail early Sunday morning while being chased by police.

At around 2:20 a.m. MT, officers confronted a man and a women as they got into a 2005 Dodge Caravan. Police had received reports that the vehicle was stolen and when questioned, the man and women fled and began driving southbound on Deerfoot Trail in the northbound lanes.

Police attempted to block the stolen minivan using Calgary Police Service vehicles after determining that the minivan posed a significant risk to the public.

The minivan rammed a number of police vehicles in an attempt to flee again but was immobilized.

An officer in one of the rammed police vehicles fired at the stolen minivan but no one was injured.

The fire department was then called to extricate the female passenger from the vehicle. She was taken to hospital with minor injuries.

The male driver has been taken into custody and the Major Crimes Unit is investigating.

The overpass on 64th Avenue and Deerfoot Trail is closed in all directions but is expected to re-open later Sunday morning.
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/Police+...139/story.html

Neat.

Edit: Oops typo, should have said 'At NE'.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 07-28-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

What a brave cop, firing his poorly aimed gun on deerfoot with an innocent person in the vehicle.

They put themselves in obviously dangerous situations and when it gets more dangerous than they were anticipating they turn into Yosemite Sam.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 07-28-2013 at 11:39 AM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

^ Who was innocent in the vehicle?

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

If someone's trying to run me down, i'm shootin. Too bad he missed. Another useless piece of shit that will get his slap on the wrist and get right back at 'er.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    TDi

Originally posted by Modelexis
    What a brave cop, firing his poorly aimed gun on deerfoot with an innocent person in the vehicle.

They put themselves in obviously dangerous situations and when it gets more dangerous than they were anticipating they turn into Yosemite Sam.
    Innocent? Are we reading the same story?
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

A court of law judges her guilt, not a traffic cop flailing a gun around in traffic.

She wasn't in control of the van.

Canadian charter agrees

Section 11(d) provides that:
    “ 11. Any person charged with an offence has the right ...

(d) to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal;”

The guy driving is the threat, and the passenger is completely innocent in this situation until he is proved otherwise in court.

So firing a gun into a car with an innocent person on board is cowardly and ridiculous.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 07-28-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-03-2020 at 12:40 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    You're right Modelexis, the officers should've tried to fill deerfoot with balloons to slow the vehicle down and cushion it to a stop. Next, one of the officers could've run up to the vehicle with a boombox playing soothing ocean sounds until the driver fell asleep and then they could've tied them up (but not too tight) with silk scarfs and given them massages all the way to their spa trials....

I see how you like to use false logic, I think I know how this game goes, let me have a go!

You're right Rat, the cops should just toss grenades at stolen vehicles, have snipers set up along deerfoot and use fully auto machine guns to stop any car chases. They should approach the car with a flame thrower to make sure no one survives.

The rolleyes was a nice touch btw.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-03-2020 at 12:40 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

A court of law judges her guilt, not a traffic cop flailing a gun around in traffic.

She wasn't in control of the van.

By your logic, cops can never fire at anyone because no one is ever guilty till the judge say so?

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
    By your logic, cops can never fire at anyone because no one is ever guilty till the judge say so?
    Even if you include imminent threat as guilty, you still have an innocent person in this vehicle since she wasn't in control of the Van. This is why I didn't say you had 2 innocent people in the Van, since the driver has initiated a threat.

So even if it was justified in shooting at the driver, it's still careless to do so with an innocent person sitting a foot away from them. Especially with the accuracy of the average traffic cop.

If you have a school bus full of children headed for a road block and ramming cop cars would you say it's reasonable to open fire?
    Last edited by Modelexis; 07-28-2013 at 12:45 PM.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Rat fink, showing his lack of rationality goes on a personal attack rant after he realizes that I called him on his failure to put forward a counter argument to the quoted charter.

If it was up to me you'd be banned for your personal attacks Rat.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The driver of the van then began to ram police vehicles in an attempt to flee but he was immobilized.

At one point, an officer in one of the rammed vehicles believed the driver posed an imminent threat and fired his weapon. No was injured.
    This right here justifies the actions of the CPS.

If I was a cop and had a vehicle ramming mine or, driving towards me in an attempt to run me over, I will gladly discharge all my ammo at the driver. The vehicle is being used as deadly force and I am justified with that response.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by revelations
    This right here justifies the actions of the CPS.

If I was a cop and had a vehicle ramming mine or, driving towards me in an attempt to run me over, I will gladly discharge all my ammo at the driver. The vehicle is being used as deadly force and I am justified with that response.
    My point was just that the driver is the threat and the passenger is innocent in the whole thing so it's irresponsible to discharge a gun into a moving vehicle with an innocent person sitting a foot away.

Would you have been okay with 10 rounds fired into the cabin?
    How about 50?
    100?

Would you shoot until the driver is dead?

Are police responsible for innocent people killed when they open fire?

At least we know that this officer would choose his own safety even if it meant putting an innocent life at risk. Good to know.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 07-28-2013 at 01:01 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

My point was just that the driver is the threat and the passenger is innocent in the whole thing so it's irresponsible to discharge a gun into a moving vehicle with an innocent person sitting a foot away.

Would you have been okay with 10 rounds fired into the cabin?
    How about 50?
    100?

Would you shoot until the driver is dead?

Are police responsible for innocent people killed when they open fire?

At least we know that this officer would choose his own safety even if it meant putting an innocent life at risk. Good to know.
    Absolutely, the officer's and public's safety are more important than the assailants and their accessories whose immediate actions are likely to cause death to members of the public and the CPS.

The passenger(s) were not "innocent" - youre painting this like it was cops shooting a stolen school bus filled with kids. The passengers will likely end up being charged as accessories.
    Last edited by revelations; 07-28-2013 at 01:12 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by SJW
    Too bad he missed. Another useless piece of shit that will get his slap on the wrist and get right back at 'er.
    Pretty much what I was thinking.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Pretty sure that ramming a police car is the same as firing a weapon at police and justifies the use of deadly force. More so when the vehicle and occupants pose a credible risk to the public and first responders.

Guilt or innocence is irrelevant when someone is trying to kill you.
    Last edited by FraserB; 07-28-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    TDi

They are going the opposite direction on deerfoot and could cause more damage to property and most important, other people. I'd do anything I can, within means, to stop the vehicle at its track.. even if that means taking two lives instead of them crashing into a vehicle filled with a family of 4.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    CBR 929

Why did she get back into the stolen vehicle when police were questioning them if she was so "innocent"? If under duress it would of been an opportune time to ask for help or get away...

[url]

My Ride
    TDi

Originally posted by bignerd
    Why did she get back into the stolen vehicle when police were questioning them if she was so "innocent"? If under duress it would of been an opportune time to ask for help or get away...
    +1 innocent my ass!
    GO FLAMES GO!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast