Quantcast
802.11g Wireless Networking Issues - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 802.11g Wireless Networking Issues

Angry 802.11g Wireless Networking Issues

Hey guys,

I have purchased a TEW-411BRP and two TEW-401PC cards for a client.

I am having an issue with the wireless portion of this set up.

I am running a DSL connection shared between a desktop (wired) and two wireless laptops.

All machines are running Windows XP Professional, and are not part of a home workgroup, AD-HOC network or members of any domains.

I have flashed the firmware of the router with the latest version off www.trendnet.com.

The wired connections work flawlessly, fast and always connected.

The wireless connections don't work as well.

With the laptops right next to the router (within 5 meters) I am able to establish a connection. This connection will be fine and then after a non-standardized time interval I lose wireless connection and wireless IP. The cards are unable to find a wireless signal, and begin to roam channels. Selecting profiles or manually entering SSID's have no impact on the lack of connection. The cards can lose their connection within 5 minutes or it can take up to a few days. The router is in the center of the middle floor of the house with no obstructions or anything around.

To resolve the problem I have been releasing and renewing the DHCP server, and removing and re-inserting the wireless cards. Even sometimes this does not work first time around. I have tried changing from channel 6 to channel 7. Sometimes after releasing and renewing the DHCP the wireless cards wont connect for up to 2 minutes, and will only stay connected for a few minutes before dropping connection again.

I am currently not running any WEP, or any extra features, just the standard DHCP client with a non-broadcasted SSID.

Do you have any suggestions?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I had some big issues getting connected at first. I switched to channel 10 and that worked better for me. Don't know if that will work for you.

Windows XP uses a new service called "Wireless Zero Configuration" .. with some setups, this really messes things up.. With this service turned on, every now and then, it will search to see if there are any other connections in the area.. when it does this, it will sometimes drop the current connection with some hardware...

If you want to test to see if this is what is happening in your situation or not, boot up your PC with the wireless NIC.. after you establish a connection, go into your services and shut down the "wireless zero configuration" service... Your connection should now remain stable and no longer drop.. that is, until you reboot and the service starts up again...

Originally posted by Chris Ng
    Windows XP uses a new service called "Wireless Zero Configuration" .. with some setups, this really messes things up.. With this service turned on, every now and then, it will search to see if there are any other connections in the area.. when it does this, it will sometimes drop the current connection with some hardware...

If you want to test to see if this is what is happening in your situation or not, boot up your PC with the wireless NIC.. after you establish a connection, go into your services and shut down the "wireless zero configuration" service... Your connection should now remain stable and no longer drop.. that is, until you reboot and the service starts up again...
    Ahh I may have over looked this!
    I should look into seeing if I can stop this service entirely if it works because the girlfriend will not be able to do this on her own!

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

Dude USE WEP! Change to static address. Tell the router to only accept the MAC addresses from the PC's NIC's in the house Change all default naming/ID's in the router too.

Otherwise welcome to exploit land where logins, passwords, vitals, credit card numbers, sites you access are no longer safe!

Originally posted by Hollywood
    Dude USE WEP! Change to static address. Tell the router to only accept the MAC addresses from the PC's NIC's in the house Change all default naming/ID's in the router too.

Otherwise welcome to exploit land where logins, passwords, vitals, credit card numbers, sites you access are no longer safe!
    I am trying to eliminate all connectivity issues before I start throwing in additional elements. But it is on my list of priorities, only getting all devices working properly is higher up.

I guess I can disable Wireless Zero Configuration from msconfig.
    I will try doing this tonight while I am over there.
    The thing that baffles me is that the system has NEVER stopped working once when I am over there. Its only when I leave or I am not there...

There is a catch when concerning "wireless zero configuration" .. .The service NEEDS to be started when XP boots.. You can turn off WZC by going to control panel>Administrative tools>Services .. WZC should be one of the last services running.. you can actually set this service to run manually rather than letting it start up automatically when XP boots ... However you need the service running in order to get initial connection.. only after initial connection do you stop WZC in order to keep the connection alive... I know it's a pain in the ass ..

The other option that MIGHT work, is for you to turn WZC off completely ( disable it from the services window) and load up the software the NIC came with in order for it to work in windows 2000 ...
    hope this makes sense

Here is the solution that SEEMS to be working
    WZC disabled in the services window. (Will not boot AT ALL with Windows, completely disabled".)
    Windows set to not manage wireless devices.
    Wireless NIC's set up through either their software package or through manual network device configuration in Windows.

Everything SEEMS to be working

And all the other networks (neighbours networks) in the area are therefore also now blocked out!!!!

I think we have a solution. Thanks Chris!

I'm glad it worked this issue exists with several diffrent brands of wifi nics.. unfortunately (but fortunate for you) some brands w2k will work with xp and some won't (in my case, my linksys usb adapter's drivers won't work.. I've got to manually disable WZC each time I boot).. But in anycase, good stuff..

Here is an update.

Everything worked perfectly fine until...
    THE PHONE RANG!

Then it basically killed the router. I was finally able to see exactly what caused the problem. I had to unplug the router and keep it without power for 10 minutes.

Through some testing, the wireless would work perfectly fine each time until the cordless phone would ring and then it would nuke the service.

I unhooked the cordless and retested everything and it all works.
    Later my girlfriend said that it made sense because every time that someone was on the phone the internet went out and she remembered because she would have called me right away but had to wait until whomever was using the phone was off.

Now here is the part that confuses me.
    The phone is an 900MHz variety that is about 5 yrs old.
    The router is a 2.4GHz which is less than 2 months old.
    Both are operating on different frequency bands and different channels.

Why did they interfere with each other?
    Maybe the phone is breaking FCC regulations or is defective?

I will have to look into this.

My Ride
    2005 nissan sentra

i know what your problem is
    just go and upgrade the firmware versions of your routers and network cards and it iwll work fine

I have already flashed all the firmwares.
    It seems to work with other cordlesses but when this one panasonic is plugged in it bombs the network.

Looks like it is time for a new cordless then.

Since you guys have already discussed WEP can anyone direct me to some instructions on how to enable this for a Linksys router?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I have the same problem near my house. One of my neighbors recently purchased either a cordless phone or microwave that kills off my network. I can see 6 different wireless stations from my house, and each one goes down when this mysterious person uses the phone or makes dinner .

It usually comes back after about 10 mins, but sometimes it takes a good hour to come back, so I'm guessing it's a cordless phone.

It kills off both 802.11b and 802.11g.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    I have the same problem near my house. One of my neighbors recently purchased either a cordless phone or microwave that kills off my network. I can see 6 different wireless stations from my house, and each one goes down when this mysterious person uses the phone or makes dinner .

It usually comes back after about 10 mins, but sometimes it takes a good hour to come back, so I'm guessing it's a cordless phone.

It kills off both 802.11b and 802.11g.
    Thats a lot of networks.
    There are like 4 around my block, and I can only see mine from my house.
    If I were you rage I would start some cordless phone vigilante policing! Knock on everyone's door and find out who has the interfering equipment!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

hehe it's not TOO big of a deal. I only use wireless when I'm in the shitter, or when it's warm and I wanna do work on the balcony instead of sitting in front of a desk. So it doesn't really affect me too much... just something I've noticed.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    hehe it's not TOO big of a deal. I only use wireless when I'm in the shitter, or when it's warm and I wanna do work on the balcony instead of sitting in front of a desk. So it doesn't really affect me too much... just something I've noticed.
    Hahahah Next Poll:
    "Do you use wireless in the shitter?!?"
    LOL

Classic rage, classic.
    I use my wireless quite a bit. Be it in the garage for auto/wood projects, watching TV while doing homework or sitting on the deck.

I would be pretty mad if I kept losing a signal because of someone else's equipment.

Now, isnt there something in FCC laws that prohibits anyone from broadcasting a "signal" that impedes or disrupts anyone else's signal unless they have a permit?
    I remember learning something about that in Digital Communications.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by FastDak318
    Now, isnt there something in FCC laws that prohibits anyone from broadcasting a "signal" that impedes or disrupts anyone else's signal unless they have a permit?
    I remember learning something about that in Digital Communications.
    Well, the 2.4ghz spectrum is "free"... so I don't think there's really any regulation there. The problem is some 2.4Ghz equipment (ie phones) just sends data at high rates of speed, hogging every 2.4ghz channel.

The 2.4ghz internet equipment works by checking the spectrum if it's "free". If so, it'll send, then stop so others have a chance to send. Basically, you wait in line to send, and that's how 802.11x networks can coexist on the same channels.

There are also numerous channels you can send on, so if your neighbor's on your same channel (slowing you down), choose another one and you're good to go.

Problem is back to those crappy equipment. The one near my house, the offending 2.4ghz phone, probably hogs every channel for the best signal, and doesn't let off until it hangs up. It's not nice, but I don't think it's breaking any rules.

My Ride
    2005 nissan sentra

change your router
    if you are on the b router network switch to g, g never gives problems with signal mix ups, and if you have g and it doesnt work when the pohone is on then get a better router, 2 good routers are dlink, and microsoft has a pretty good one too !

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

hehe, regardless of what router you're using, bad interfering equipment will take 'em all down.

There's linksys, dlink, us robotics, and SMC router near my house. They all go down when a call is made on this bad cordless in the area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast