Quantcast
Scott Adams: I Hope My Father Dies Soon - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Adams: I Hope My Father Dies Soon

Default Scott Adams: I Hope My Father Dies Soon

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 01:15 AM.

My Ride
    Hatred

Pretty to the point there. I really don't understand keeping people alive for ages when even they don't want to be. And that's somehow humane.
    -U

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

That's rough man. I can't imagine how painful it would be to sit there and watch your Father or any other family members waste away like that. Assisted suicide is goddamn touch subject though, there are so many grey areas and moral pitfalls that even thinking about bringing the issue up for debate could be bad news for whoever does in a political forum.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My grandmother lost her mind nearly 15 yrs ago, shes blind, deaf and went from an over weight old lady to nothing left of her.. Ive been hoping she will go for quite some time. Because she's not alive really, (in her 90s) On the other side of that - my grand father made it to 98, he then got sick and a couple days later was dead. That was the way to go.

My Ride
    STi

Definitely a tough situation and hard to gauge when it's appropriate. If legalized, I could definitely see the potential of its abuse. However, I think in some cases, it's definitely appropriate. A family friend of mine, her grandmother lost her mind probably about 10 years ago. Hardly recognized her own children. On top of that, she was bed ridden for the past 10 years as well. That's not much of a life and personally, if that was me I'd rather pass away If I was stuck in a bed and couldn't even recognize those closest to me.

My Ride
    Nothing

From what I've seen, people are stupid for the most part. Most seem to think they'll grow old, putter around, then die of a heart attack in their sleep. Truth is most will grow old, lose their body and mind over the course of years, all the wile wishing they could die.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    4x4

I'm with Scott Adams.

While I believe it needs some checks/balances... It needs to be resolved once and for all. Especially with the soon to be explosion in persons going into long term care...

Before anyone jumps on me for that - My father is likely in a similar state to Mr Adams' father. I can only hope the alzheimers took his mind long ago - and the body just doesn't know better... As I can only imagine the torture if his mind is still working in there somewhere.

And yes - he's now been occupying a space in long term care coming up on a decade...

I'm in total agreement with Adams on all counts.

It's not that hard to fucking understand!

If my body is on the verge of death and I'm suffering both physically and mentally, WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU to tell me I can't die and have to continue suffering. FUCK YOU!

Again, democracy my ass!

Sorry for the expletives (well, not really lol), but this is just one reason why I DESPISE our government.

My Ride
    Car

Yep, add me to the list in favor of it. It's hardly even a touchy subject to the general population these days - I haven't heard a single person argue against it (not that I've went looking for that)

The fact is, there's absolutely no good reason not to give the person a choice. So fucking stupid. I know that once I'm in that position I'll be looking into moving to other country's. Don't know what it would take, but if euthanasia's legal in say Switzerland, guess I'll be moving there in my old age.

I agree with him. If i was dying slowly like that, I would want to just go as well rather than slowly withering away in pain.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Originally posted by woodywoodford
    Yep, add me to the list in favor of it. It's hardly even a touchy subject to the general population these days - I haven't heard a single person argue against it (not that I've went looking for that)

The fact is, there's absolutely no good reason not to give the person a choice. So fucking stupid. I know that once I'm in that position I'll be looking into moving to other country's. Don't know what it would take, but if euthanasia's legal in say Switzerland, guess I'll be moving there in my old age.
    I have gone looking for it, and have only found people as pissed off as we are about the subject. Ok, there were about 2 exceptions out of the thousands, but they were religious nutcases with the laughable argument of, "This is God's will".

Virtually everyone wants Euthanasia to be legal, but our government refuses to even look at it. WTF?

Some argue that keeping a person alive, even though they are suffering and want to die, is a vast money maker, and that's why the government doesn't address it.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 11-26-2013 at 09:10 AM.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by Seth1968
    this is just one reason why I DESPISE our government.
    +1, this and about 1000 other restrictions to freedom.

Couldn't have said it better. Wifes grandma is in that state and everyone is just waiting for her turn to go. There has been constant arguments with who should be taking care of her because nobody wants to and the son she currently lives with is only doing it for her pension money. She's worse than watching a child and is stubborn as hell. I would rather die at my peak rather than live to 100 and be the burden that nobody wants to deal with.

Originally posted by botox
    Couldn't have said it better. Wifes grandma is in that state and everyone is just waiting for her turn to go. There has been constant arguments with who should be taking care of her because nobody wants to and the son she currently lives with is only doing it for her pension money. She's worse than watching a child and is stubborn as hell. I would rather die at my peak rather than live to 100 and be the burden that nobody wants to deal with.
    Now imagine a loved one in that situation, and they're begging to be put out of their misery.

"No", you must tell them. "Strangers WANT you, and the people that love you to suffer".

My Ride

Originally posted by Seth1968

Some argue that keeping a person alive, even though they are suffering and want to die, is a vast money maker, and that's why the government doesn't address it.
    It's the opposite here. As all the baby boomers start dying off, it's going to be extremely taxing on healthcare in canada. Trust me, the gubment isn't making money off that...

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Default Re: Scott Adams: I Hope My Father Dies Soon

I'm okay with any citizen who opposes doctor-assisted suicide on moral or practical grounds. But if you have acted on that thought, such as basing a vote on it, I would like you to die a slow, horrible death too. You and the government are accomplices in the torturing of my father, and there's a good chance you'll someday be accomplices in torturing me to death too.
    This is such an amazing token of truth.

This Scott Adams guy is so fucking on point it's incredible.
    Too bad it took him such a personal experience to really get the true nature of government.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 11-26-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

I watched my dad die of cancer... there comes a certain point where they are dead in spirit, its just the drugs and medication keeping them going. I never thought I would want a family member to pass away but when you see how much pain and suffering they are in, you hope the end comes sooner than later. I was in a state of comfort the day my dad passed away because I know he wasnt hurting anymore. Its a tough subject but I think that people are in charge of their own life and if they want to go, they should be able to. Once you know there is no getting better... no way to stop pain and suffering. It should be an available option.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

Originally posted by Anomaly

It's the opposite here. As all the baby boomers start dying off, it's going to be extremely taxing on healthcare in canada. Trust me, the gubment isn't making money off that...
    I can see your point, so why are they torturing us to death?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I think the bigger over-arching issue is that MOST (as in greater than 50%) of people do NOT have their wills/end of life planning done. Which is bullshit, as it has been hammered into people non-stop for the past 20 years.

Even a DNR is sufficient to help end-of-life suffering. Lots of the people who are basically vegetables could have been let go long ago if they hadn't been resucitated. At the same time, I can see the argument for not allowing assisted suicide as even if the person has done the legal documentation to justify it, what happens if they have changed their mind when the time comes but can't express it?

My Ride
    Indian Scout

The domestic laws are a result of religious, right wing conservative zealots in parliament who believe that life and death are God's domain alone.

In the case of abortion, the Conservatives would long have repealed the law if it were not such a polarizing subject that would inevitably see them defeated in the following election.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast