Quantcast
Christmas Trees 2013 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Trees 2013

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Default Christmas Trees 2013

I'm heading out with the family this weekend in search of a live Christmas tree. We've done the Ikea thing (and might actually look again this year) and bought from the lot at Sarcee Richmond Rd last year... The quality didn't seem to be there for the cost.

I'd really rather not trek allover town with a pregnant wife and 2 year old in minus 30! Does anyone have any go-to recommendations for Christmas tree lot? TIA

There is a big lot on the corner of MacLeod and Heritage, but I've never bought a tree from them.

My Ride
    4x4

Home depot...

I'm told I'm doing the same today... But how do you keep a tree alive for a month? I'm tired of the mid December return/replacement... Done that 3yrs running now...

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Originally posted by AndyL
    Home depot...

I'm told I'm doing the same today... But how do you keep a tree alive for a month? I'm tired of the mid December return/replacement... Done that 3yrs running now...
    "I'm told"... Hahaha, yep!

There was an attempt to "tell" me that we were getting a tree last week. And the week before that. I think I've held her off as long as I can. Though, at three weeks out, I think we should be OK.

Apparently Firs and Pines last the longest.

Fixed Gear - Thanks, but there's probably 200 lots within a distance I'm willing to drive from Marda Loop (Macleod and Heritage being reasonable). I'm hoping someone can say "I bought X-type of tree here, for $Y, it was nice and lasted long enough"...
    Last edited by you&me; 12-07-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Originally posted by you&me

There was an attempt to "tell" me that we were getting a tree last week. And the week before that. I think I've held her off as long as I can. Though, at three weeks out, I think we should be OK.

Apparently Firs and Pines last the longest.

Fixed Gear - Thanks, but there's probably 200 lots within a distance I'm willing to drive from Marda Loop (Macleod and Heritage being reasonable). I'm hoping someone can say "I bought X-type of tree here, for $Y, it was nice and lasted long enough"...
    I'm sure you've been told the regular "tips"....cut 1" off the base of the tree before putting it up...keep LOTS of water. A tree will easily drink up a quart a day.
    We used to spend on average around $80 for a good "bushy" tree. Forget which species.
    But against my wishes, we finally switched to a "fake" tree three years ago. I have to say, it sure is nice to have no needles, and the hassle and expense of buying, removing, taking to the dump etc of a real tree every year. But I sure do miss the smell...to me that's a big part of Christmas.

Originally posted by C_Dave45

I'm sure you've been told the regular "tips"....cut 1" off the base of the tree before putting it up...keep LOTS of water. A tree will easily drink up a quart a day.
    We used to spend on average around $80 for a good "bushy" tree. Forget which species.
    But against my wishes, we finally switched to a "fake" tree three years ago. I have to say, it sure is nice to have no needles, and the hassle and expense of buying, removing, taking to the dump etc of a real tree every year. But I sure do miss the smell...to me that's a big part of Christmas.
    exactly. when you get the tree home, cut a few cm off the base of the stem and put it immediately into water. Trees pull water through "pipes" in their stem, and cutting the stem sucks air into the pipes, which prevents water flow to the leaves. If you cut it and put immediately into water, you can limit this as much as is possible. Of course, try to find a vendor selling freshly-cut trees - even better if you can cut your own. I would imagine trees at say Home Depot have been sitting on a truck for a week, which would explain why the needles drop after a few weeks.

Also, when spruce and fir dry up the tend to drop their needles immediately. Pine on the other hand will retain their needles long after they are dead.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I love the fake tree. Wife swears we'll return to real trees one of these years. Told her she can sweep up the needles and dispose of it afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by you&me

After last year's carless Christmas tree fiasco, I told the gf to get the tree. She's out there on her own while I'm playing xbox lol.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

We just bought our tree from home depot today, $60 for a fir and its nice and full.

Except every year we do this it always turns into a huge fight so I'm about ready to throw the f*cking thing into the streets and cave to buy a fake one. This year it was "I don't think the bottom of the tree is touching the bottom of the stand. Can you just cut off a few branches?" Laying the tree down twice, 14 branches and a whole bunch of choice words later its as straight as it was before except now it has a big void at the bottom.

If it dies before Christmas I'm burning it in the street and buying fake.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

We have an artificial tree that we put up today. Is it time to take it down yet???

Side note: I am always ready to take the tree down by Boxing day. I met Spikers the middle of January and his tree was still up. That should have been a clue...
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

My Ride
    Hatred

The wife had me construct the fake tree the other day. There's only ornaments on the top half since the youngling can reach anything down from there.

Last edited by Unknown303; 12-07-2013 at 07:52 PM.
    -U

Our artificial trees were damaged in the flood. We haven't thought about getting another one. We have Christmas decorations on the stairs and a wreath on the door.

My Ride
    06 F-150

What's the average price at the lots for a average 6 foot tree?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by rage2
    After last year's carless Christmas tree fiasco, I told the gf to get the tree. She's out there on her own while I'm playing xbox lol.
    Dude, if you want, you can use my truck to get your tree. Much easier than trying to strap a tree to a car.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 01:39 PM.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by codetrap
    Dude, if you want, you can use my truck to get your tree. Much easier than trying to strap a tree to a car.
    How do his balls taste?
    -U

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Haha thanks for the offer. My gf picked up the tree in the B, surprising how much shit that car fits, 10 footer with the sunroof open. She hauled it in by herself, and set it up. I'm watching the flames game lol.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Unknown303

How do his balls taste?

How do his balls taste?
    Hahaha golden

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

The wife had me construct the fake tree the other day. There's only ornaments on the top half since the youngling can reach anything down from there.
    What you need to do is put a few on the bottom that are bells. Watch his face light up when he pulls it off and it rings. (And if you want to be mean, the next step would be to spray him with water, like you would with a cat )
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast