Quantcast
"new" car may had been previously repaired by dealership - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: "new" car may had been previously repaired by dealership

Default "new" car may had been previously repaired by dealership

So I bought a new car a year or so ago, and I backed into a pillar and required repairs. ya move... anyways

Took it to a shop and after everything is fixed, I realized there was missing paint on one of the doors (which was not damaged and no where near the repaired area). I talked to the shop that did the repair and they said that the paint might've peeled when it was masked off. Mentioning only a bad repair job would do that not original paint. He then proceeded to show me minor flaws in the paint that shows it had been previously repaired.

I bought the car as new in Sept 2012 and had never had any other damages to it. I was wondering if anyone know what steps I should take to be compensated for being sold a repaired car.

Thanks.

As I am unsure of the legal implications I don't want to name the dealership/car/salesman at the moment.
    Last edited by nitram; 12-17-2013 at 04:09 PM.

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Mentioned in a few other threads, it's common practice if a "new" car is damaged prior to sale the dealership is not obligated to disclose if there was any prior damage

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

So there's not much I can do except claim the new car warranty for them to fix the paint? Or is that even possible?

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

The only Instance that a new car cannot be sold after damage is when the repair requires a new welded panel to be installed, transport damage and lot damage should be disclosed on sale, but dealers are not obligated to disclose it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The repair could've happened either at the VPC prior to delivery to the dealer, or at the dealer, neither of which needs to be disclosed. If it was repaired at the VPC, the dealer would have no knowledge of it. Technically, if you didn't repair it, it falls under new car warranty. The problem is proving that it wasn't your repair job there, but I don't know how that works. There should be a paper trail if there were any repairs done by the VPC or dealer, even though they don't disclose.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Originally posted by nitram
    So there's not much I can do except claim the new car warranty for them to fix the paint? Or is that even possible?
    New paint warranty is usually only available for two years, total perforation warranty can be as high as 10 years.

I would talk to your dealership and try and force a repair, since It's more than likely it wont be covered by the manufactuer paint warranty.

My Ride

Originally posted by RickDaTuner

New paint warranty is usually only available for two years, total perforation warranty can be as high as 10 years.

I would talk to your dealership and try and force a repair, since It's more than likely it wont be covered by the manufacture paint warranty.
    +1

Thanks for everyone's responses. At the moment they are denying it was ever repaired but should be covered under manufacturer's warranty. Will see how it goes when i bring it in for them to see it.