Quantcast
Military asking cadets to ‘dig into their closets’ as budget cuts leave them without - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Military asking cadets to ‘dig into their closets’ as budget cuts leave them without

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Default Way to go Canada!!

My Ride
    Hatred

Meh. it's just military budget. Might as well save money there. Now they can hide in civ clothing.
    -U

Originally posted by Unknown303
    Meh. it's just military budget. Might as well save money there. Now they can hide in civ clothing.
    I agree about the military budget. But saving thousands on some clothes vs 10000 trillion dollars they're spending on one F35? Not even once

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by BigMass

I agree about the military budget. But saving thousands on some clothes vs 10000 trillion dollars they're spending on one F35? Not even once
    I just hope they cut more military shit. The money we spend to piggyback the US into stupid shit doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    -U

off topic, but our future military looks like the PLA judging from that pic in the national post. not one white kid.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Yeah because cadets and fighter jet purchases are from the same pool of money.

off topic, but our future military looks like the PLA judging from that pic in the national post. not one white kid.
    Picture was taken in Vancouver, what do you expect.

Originally posted by l/l/rX
    That's crazy haha

Originally posted by jutes

Yeah because cadets and fighter jet purchases are from the same pool of money.
    it is. Our tax money

My Ride
    Nissan x2

it is. Our tax money
    You are delusional. Cadet jackets and fighter jets have nothing to do with each other. Each have their own budgets, if you don't like how the money is being appropriated go talk to your local MLA rather than complain about it on the internet.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by jutes

You are delusional. Cadet jackets and fighter jets have nothing to do with each other. Each have their own budgets, if you don't like how the money is being appropriated go talk to your local MLA rather than complain about it on the internet.
    You realise this is exactly what the internet is for.
    -U

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

WTF do cadets do anyways???
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by cancer man
    They're like scouts that learn how to kill.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by cancer man
    Last I heard, they smash storefronts after their favourite hockey team loses.

Originally posted by Unknown303

I just hope they cut more military shit. The money we spend to piggyback the US into stupid shit doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    They've cancelled a $2B purchase for armored vehicles.

But I'm sure it's the Liberals fault because everybody knows the CPC loves the troops.

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

13 MILLION for just clothes. What a waste.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

$13 million for uniforms isn't that much to start with, works out to about $245 per cadet each year. With what uniforms parts cost, that's not a lot. The cut drops it down to about $207.

What the writer of that article fails to realize is that uniforms are already reused and parkas are kit that every cadet is issued. Also, slightly increasing fundraising activities at the unit level can probably make up for the difference.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

This doesn't seem like a big deal to me at all. I was in Army Cadets (2834 RCACC) for five years and I don't think we were ever issued parkas. What kid in Saskatchewan doesn't already have a good winter parka? We didn't really do much outside in the winter anyway aside from a couple of camping weekends a season.

As for the gym shorts, that would have been a bloody blessing! The uniform issued gym shorts we got at camp in Vernon, BC were horrible. Like something out of a 1940's athletic film. I would have love to worn my own (normal) shorts.

Most if not all the stuff I ever saw was all second hand anyway except maybe the dress shirt and beret. Pants, boots & dress jacket was all "previously enjoyed".

"Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

^^ Same with me. I got second hand uniform for the Air Cadets .. Didn't really bother me at all.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Originally posted by kertejud2

They've cancelled a $2B purchase for armored vehicles.

But I'm sure it's the Liberals fault because everybody knows the CPC loves the troops.
    That was a necessary cut as the military themselves said they couldn't afford to maintain them.

As for the cadet issue, this is nothing more than journalistic sensationalism at its finest. The first sentence says it all "Military budget cuts are leaving cadets out in the cold, with a freeze on the purchase of parkas just as winter kicks in." They make it seem like the cadets are going out in the cold without jackets because of money cutbacks. As already mentioned, kids will have to use their own jackets so whats the big deal. This is nothing new in the military, I've had to buy my own boots, fleece, toque and warm gloves for work due to an ineffective/inept supply system. At the end of the day you have to look out for own well being when the citizens of Canada don't want to spend money on their own troops. Support may be a mile wide, but its an inch deep.

My Ride
    North Korean

I was in cadets for 5 years as well 1292 LdSH, pretty sure as kids we all just went to army surplus places and bought our own parkas and whatnot.. it wasnt that expensive, maybe 100 bucks for the old military issue parka? we also got discounts as cadets. The only thing the corp supplied was our dress uniforms..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast